"Mysterious Ways" tone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scarlet october

Acrobat
I've got an auto-wah which I know The Edge uses on that song I think. But I was just wondering what stompbox can achieve that distortion tone for that song.

Sorry For the dumb question.:D

hi he used a korg A3 with preset 76 'funkwah' i think its called
on the album and live to this day..

if your using a pedal wah like Edge did on the Tibet freedom concert in 97 put the Drive after the wah sumthing like
a boss OD-2 or boss PW-2 im pretty sure he had the OD-2
for the Tibet show which they only played 5 numbers

hope that helps

cheers BB

my u2/edge gear info site

http://www.geocities.com/bbbruce5

yeah, he plays the 12 string on EBTTRT, also on Gone, and Angel of Harlem on R&H. i tried one out the last time i went to Guitar Center, and man they are FANTASTIC guitars :drool:

Yeah i've been going to the one in chicago and they only have like 7 guitars in the whole room which is the size of 5 feet wide and 8 feet high...:( ...I only shop at the guitar center because I can't find any other place except for one (which is actually a small but cool place):wink: :drool:

ok lets get back on topic...Yeah it is the 76 preset to the Korg A3 on the sc-1 card...:hmm:

What if you have the Korg A3 but not the sc-1 card? It's not as you can still get them? Can you find the settings somewhere else so you can program the A3 manually instead?

i connected my A3 to my computer using a MIDI/Game Port cable, then uploaded the spc-01 presets to the a3. i got the cable on line for like $8

Going bak to the guitar here. I HATE the sound of Mysterious Ways live. The riccies have no bottom end to them. I used to play one and it peirces the ears after a while coz it so tinnie. I would love to hear him play it on a Gibson to capture the bassier notes.

^ have you heard Mysterious Ways from the irving plaza show? i've never heard Edge's guitar for this song sound so good -- but i agree that especially on this tour Edge's gutiar doesn't sound as good.

it got a bit old after 2 tours, and personally i always thought it was too long and cheesy and just an excuse for Edge to play piano -- i liked the Elevation versions much better.

craigp said:
i wonder why they dont use the intro like the other tours or why edge doesnt play the keyboard chords no more?

It's simply because they like to change the way they perform it.

Mysterious Ways Live has always been a long song, usually around 7 mins or so.

On the last two tours, the outro has been extended quite considerably during some performances, to allow Bono to prance around the stage a lot more, compared to the zoo and popmart outro's which were pretty similar between shows in terms of timing. (only a few had ridiculously long endings - Sao Paulo for example)

So to include the extended intro as well during elevation and vertigo tours would have made the song even longer. - It would be Great for Mysterious Ways Obsessives like myself, but for those who aren't it's biggest fan, would maybe be pushing it a bit.

Muad'zin said:
What if you have the Korg A3 but not the sc-1 card? It's not as you can still get them? Can you find the settings somewhere else so you can program the A3 manually instead?

I guess you could replicate it but it wouldn't sound exactly like The Edge's Mysterious Ways sound. I guess it would sound a little like it..

tpsglick2424 said:

I guess you could replicate it but it wouldn't sound exactly like The Edge's Mysterious Ways sound. I guess it would sound a little like it..

the presets on the A3 don't have Auto-wah, so you'd really need the info on the card.

You dont need any card at all. Just get a midi cable, goto korgaseries.org and dowload the card for free as well as any card or chain you desire

Mick

I just got my A3 and download the card in fo from the site korgaserires.org and something doesn't sound right, maybe i'm missing something ??

danb00 said:
I just got my A3 and download the card in fo from the site korgaserires.org and something doesn't sound right, maybe i'm missing something ??

I´m too, :sad: , some help???

thanks.

Which preset are you using? It should be #76 called "funkwah". Stock its close but depending on your setup, you may have to adjust. Ex, I dont like the dist on the preset so I turn mine off and use a seperate dist. Also putting the overdrive before versus after the A3 affects the sound. Last a 12 string Ric helps. Heres me and my band attempting it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4CSJtEUk88

Mick

discothequeLP said:
i connected my A3 to my computer using a MIDI/Game Port cable, then uploaded the spc-01 presets to the a3. i got the cable on line for like $8

If you do so, what will it replace, factory presets or user presets?

Back
Top Bottom