My band to go on tour soon - advice on equipment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ender

Babyface
Hi all.

My band, starways congress, is going to go on a little "tour" this spring and summer. The intent is to play gigs up here in the spring (up here being Canton, NY and surrounding areas, WAY up in the north country), and then with any luck, to play cities all around us in the summer and fall. Getting the gigs will, of course, be one of many difficult tasks, but the main one will be the aspect of the equipment.

Let me tell you what we're planning to do.

We want to have one or two projection screens, (not state-of-the-art or expensive or anything), which we want to flash different colors and basically to hook up to a computer that can do visualizations (like what you see on winamp). The visualizations will probably be something that our guitarist will be programming, but we're also looking for other ideas on what to put up on the screen. I understand it would help if you heard our music but a: we don't have our site up yet and b: I haven't posted enough times to be allowed to put up a URL.

We also want to put on a light show that's not like most gigs. We want DJ-influenced lighting... lasers and the like.

We want to do something different in a sense that we want to turn bars into concert halls. Just totally blow peoples' minds.

We also want to incorporate loops into the scenerio, but we haven't finalized how. We were thinking either via a CD player hooked into the PA system, or via a computer on a media list. any suggestions?

We're also currently looking into investing into a PA system. I'm thinking 500w/1000w speakers with 15" sub and 2" tweet with 800w amp/8 input XLR mono mixer would do it but maybe we need more. Again, what would you all suggest?

We're trying to keep the costs and all that down as far as we can but still put on a good show. I'm very impressed with a lot of the stuff you tribute bands do out there and I'm always fascinated by the equipment and such that you manage to pull in. Where do you get these things? Who do I talk to? What do I do? I've noticed that Zoo 2 has a concert video up and what they're doing is really cool. How does a band like us in the middle of nowhere get our hands on equipment like that?

Does anyone have any other suggestions about things I haven't mentioned?

Also, I have an account with musician's friend. What would anyone suggest from there?

Anyways, thank you all. Hopefully we can get this put together. I want to know what you all use and how you put things all together. I'm really not good at the equipment aspect of these things.

Take Care,
Ender

Hello Ender,

My suggestion to you would be to try to do gigs at venues that already have PA and lighting in place. It'll save you a fortune and you won't need to hire a truck to move the stuff around in. If you must play a venue without a PA system or lighting then get the venue to recommend someone and hire him, or better still get them to hire him. Believe me, you do not want to be responsible for putting up, far less breaking down, a PA and lighting system of any size every night. I play in a band that gigs a lot and the nights I dread are the nights (very few now I am glad to say) we find ourselves responsible for the PA.

BTW the PA system you have in mind is underpowered unless you are playing very very small venues, if you must buy a PA then get one with 2000w out front minimum, 1000w for monitoring, as many wedges as you have band members, 16 channel desk (I don't know how any band with a drummer can manage on 8 inputs), 1 x 18" sub, 2 x 15" mids and one HF horn each side. (You'll probably want a midiverb/digital delay, a noise gate, a compressor and a few other bits and pieces as well.) You don't have to take the subs if you're playing somewhere small but when you need them you really do need them.

Mail me if you want to talk about this some more,

gragravar at hotmail dot com

Good luck

Mick

Hi there...
I am in an original act in NYC, play out here, and about, all the time.
So here is my 2 cents:

#1-- Unless you need the PA to rehearse, don't waste the money.
(Every club WORTH being turned into a mock-up stadium will have one suitable)
#2-- The lights usually suck in the clubs, get used to that....
And the gear to do what you wana do with the screens--- (I know EXACTLY what you want)---Will cost you a fortune. However, if you have about 10k to 15k to blow, just on lights then message me, i'll tell you what you need. *ALL DIGITAL*But a similar setup with old movie projectors, slides, and overheads can be much more affordable. (But forget your guitar player being the light guy!)
#3 --As for samples & loops...grap an Akai MPC 2000, or any other quality sequencer/sampler/controller, and have your drummer get used to playing with a click!!
If you have any further questions, feel free to ask...

Update

In case anyone was wondering, I have an update for y'all.

My band now has a "secret site" called "The Congressional Hearings of Starways Congress" located at [ enderhq.netfirms.com/starcon/hearings.html ]. This is where we're uploading songs as they start to take shape. I think only a couple are finished works (such as "Past Tense Catastrophe" and "Needless to Say") while others are still in the process of coming together (like "Echo Papa" and "Consequences"). But it's sorta cool because you can listen as things start to take shape. Like a live Working Tapes.

We've recently registered starwayscongress.com as well, and we expect to have a fully functioning website up New Year's Day.

A little website called "U2 Source" [ u2source.com ] owned y HUB runner u2warlp is also featuring our music on his site, with a few downloads and a link back to our "secret site".

So if you get the chance to check it all out, please do, and let us know what you think. If you like it, please spread the word. We're working really hard to bring some good music to the world.

Take Care,
Ender

Back
Top Bottom