Love Comes Tumbling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fly33

The Fly
One of my all time favorite U2 songs. Wish it had been included on TUF. Hauntingly beautiful...

It's a really lush guitar sound; any idea what Edge is using to get it? It sounds to me like he's using chorus, but maybe he just put a lot of mod on the delay. I also can't decide what kind of guitar it is...

It is a lush and fantastic sounding tune.

It sounds like modulated delay and reverb. There seems to be some slight flanging. But that could be something Eno or Lanois added to the track.

The Edge did have the Korg SDD3000 delay by this point. So that could be the delay unit used. (He got it during the War tour)

Korg-SDD_3000.jpg

He still used the Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man in the studio too. The modulation, would probably be the vibrato, not the chorus setting.

17500-electro-harmonix-deluxe-memory-man-classic--large.jpg

Reverb-wise, the 1985 Guitar Player article lists a Yamaha R1000 Digital Reverb was in his rack at that time. It may have been used on the album and might be a part of the "Love Comes Tumbling" tone.

I'm not 100% sure on which guitar was used. I've don't recall seeing any studio footage of the track during The Unforgettable Fire documentary nor do I recall Edge mentioning any details of guitar used on the track in any interviews.

That said, I think that it could be his black Stratocaster and his Washburn Woodstock Festival acoustic.

Song's been stuck in my head...

To me, the main riff sounds like it's on a Strat. You're right, there's also some flanging going on. The reverb could be the R1000, but it could also have been recorded in Slane Castle and have the natural reverb of the ballroom. All this is speculation, of course.

(BTW, what an awesome bass line!)

yeah great song:up: i tried it a while back with my strat and yamaha
spx90II and it sounded ok, so need to experiment more.i have the
yamaha R1000 so may give that a try with SDD3K.

cheers BB

Back
Top Bottom