I need a guitar: Can u help me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mofomx

Babyface
Hello all! I'm new on this forum, I'm from M?xico City and i love u2. I wanna start playing guitar but i don't have it.
Everybody said that the best is Gibson les paul, explorer, ricken, etc etc. so i want to know with what guitar i can obtain the best sound, the best quality... I want to play u2 songs, wich guitar is the best of do this?
Also the effects? to play that songs with the most similar sound.
Boss, zoom i dont know....

and the Amp?

I need your help!!!

Thanks a lot.

MofoMX

I don't want to discourage anyone from starting to play the guitar but before you start trying to sound like Edge I suggest you learn the absolute basics. If you can't do this stuff first then you have no realistic hope of sounding like Edge, or indeed any guitar player, any time soon. My suggestion would be: Get yourself a not-too-pricey guitar such as an Epiphone Les Paul or whatever and a small amplifier such as one of the smaller Fender combos and learn a few common open chords (such as C, D, G, Em, etc. etc.) and bar chords. Learn to play a few songs by U2 or anyone else by buying a beginners songbook and working your way through the chord charts until you can play the songs well. Do this with a friend who's learning too if possible, that makes it a bit easier in my experience. U2 material is by and large not that complicated but even Edge had to sit down and learn how to play first before he developed his own sound. Once you have the basics down then you will find it much easier to get the sounds you want. I am sure this is not the advice you were hoping for but anyone who tells you that sounding like the Edge is no harder than buying this guitar or that amp would be giving you very poor advice.

I have a Fender Squire and small Fender Amp. Gragravar is right in that you have to know the basics before you're able to duplicate anyone's sound. I took a guitar course in high school and then went out and bought guitar, amp and later effects. If you want to get Edge's sound you'll definitely need a delay or echo pedal and a wah wah pedal. I have a digital delay pedal which I bought second hand and a Boss wah pedal. With these two pedals you can come pretty close to getting that echoish sound of 'The Fly'.

Good Luck and have fun learning.

Yes get an epiphone les paul (add a Seymour Duncan pickup to the bridge), or get a Japanese or Mexican!! Strat, umm...get a Lline Six amp (great AC30 modelling and some good overdrive on those amps) and download some tabs, paly along to the songs you like, develop your ear, speed and rythym, get a teacher, practice on an acoustic, start a band, ect, ect,. There is genius in boldness!!!

Back
Top Bottom