Gear notes from BBC show on Feb 27th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edge_Orchestra

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Pics from the BBC and gear stuff...

Pics from BBC. Is that Indiana Jones playing bass! =O) Adam in a hat. That is different.

Adam seems to be sticking with the Aguilar amps and cabinets.

I've notice that the rack tom on Larry's white Yamaha kit is a shallower, more traditional depth, instead of the deeper power tom. It's noticeable on "Breathe", in a good way, as it's more "punchier" of a sound.

Looks like Edge has a new (to him, or newly seen by us) Tweed Fender Blues Jr. amp, or perhaps he had the black Blues Junior from the Vertigo tour recovered?

Looks like the Lovetone pedals are NOT on top of the rack any longer. Looks to be the EH POG on the top left...

Looks like the Gretsch Country Gentleman is the guitar for "Magnificent". A Tele may have been on some of the song on the album but the solo (on the album) does sound very "Kite-like"; which was done with a Gretsch Country Gent. Also, he's seems to be using the custom made ring slide, instead of a regular tube slide for the solo on Magnificent.

u2atbbc.jpg

u2atbbc2.jpg

u2atbbc3.jpg

EO, any news on that pink/purple Precision Adam has on the BBC rooftop gig?

It looked to me like a re-paint of an old one, cos the paint was a little bumpy. Thoughts?

Aha! Found some. Not great, but you get the idea.

Picture6.png

Picture1-1.png

Adambass3.png

Adambass2.png

Adambass.png

So there ya go.

And just for you, a Fender. :)

Edge.png

These were from Boots, IIRC, they used the same on Boots and Magnificent, Adam changed to the sparkly gold (Lakland/Fender, couldnt tell) Jazz for Vertigo, and Explorer/Gold bass for Beautiful Day.

Holy CRAP.

Adam played on a PURPLE precision?

:faint:

That has to be the most ultimate bass ever. Hot dang. I LOVE the colour!

Pretty funky eh? I still reckon its a re-paint of an old one, but I spose more pics are needed to tell, and ATM I still cant get any.

Nice to see hes going out and getting some new stuff though. :)

Moo... first... I love you for posting the Telecaster Custom pic. I have a black one like that and I love that Edge is using his again.

The bass... I'd NOT seen that one yet. It is a Fender Precision. Looks like it's of 1960's vintage that might have been resprayed that colour or it could be a 1960's reissue, sprayed that finish, and newer from the Fender Custom shopo - perhaps.

I will have to dig around a bit more to see what I can find.

The gold sparkle bass was the sparkle gold Fender Jazz - previously seen at the "We Are One" show in Washington DC.

I am convinced that Adam has INDEED beaten Edge at cards and was paid in gear. Either that or a hefty Lotto win. :D

Thanks for the gear rundown, E_O. One of the best part of a new album/tour cycles is seeing (and hearing) all the new toys.

Btw, would you happen to be the person in the youtube video playing the BBS solo on a black tele custom?

Thanks for the gear rundown, E_O. One of the best part of a new album/tour cycles is seeing (and hearing) all the new toys.

Btw, would you happen to be the person in the youtube video playing the BBS solo on a black tele custom?

Indeed, the new album/tour cycle is about 'what is he using and how is he getting all of these great new sounds. Then the reality of 'oh feck, what am I gonna have to buy now as he's using loads of new things! (Hahahaha)

I did just win an ebay auction for a Electro-Harmonix POG. I got a good price and I'm eagerly awaiting it's arrival. (POG was used on new album, in Magnificent & I think it is in "Get On Your Boots" too, amongst other tunes.)

A dear friend of mine just got a Death By Audio Supersonic Fuzz Gun. (What a grazy good effect that is! (Think "No Line On The Horizon" and "Get On Your Boots" - both have the D.B.A. Supersonic Fuzz Gun

As for the YouTube video you asked about, that is not me. I have a black Telecaster Custom, similar to the walnut one that Edge was using Friday night but I've not posted a clip of me playing BBS solo. I will have to look and see the video. Is it any good?

As for the YouTube video you asked about, that is not me. I have a black Telecaster Custom, similar to the walnut one that Edge was using Friday night but I've not posted a clip of me playing BBS solo. I will have to look and see the video. Is it any good?

Yeah, it's not bad. Whoever it is, he helped me learn the solo::up: I would love to have any of the Death by Audio pedals but can't justify the cost, esp. w/ tour tickets and boxsets to buy. Anyway, thanks for the informative posts. This is a great time, checking out the new gear and learning the new songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwVG40lyxso

Hey Ive just noticed after re-watching the roof show on TV, that Edge had a really small slide on Magnificent, which Ive not seen him use before.

It was litereally almost the size of a large ring. Has he used this before??

Yes, Miracle Drug comes to mind, and City of Blinding lights.

Dallas customly makes those for him, which sucks because I'd love to have one. Never been able to find one. I have a regular slide but it's too big, so I never play it anyway.

Oh...well...hmm.

A junior hacksaw should do it, theyre pretty cheap, can get them for £1 sometimes.

Though you'd need a clamp too...so you could clamp it to a table. No idea how much they cost, but I think its certainly do-able with a small budget. :hmm: The slide itself would probably cost the most.

That said, surely such a thing already is on sale?! there are half length capos, why not slides?

I asked in the guitar shop, they only had this size. Perhaps there's a store somewhere that sells them, I just haven't found it yet!

Dunlop

Seems a similar idea, but no idea how big is is in comparison to the finger.

Dunlop

Also the weeny one there. Again, no reference pics to know how big is is in relation to Edges.

Hm the first says 1 inch, that's 2,5 cm.. quite big, but closer to Edge's size yes.

That 2nd looks really similar! :up: Only a tiny bit bigger than Edge's. I'd say his are 2/3d that size.

Hm the first says 1 inch, that's 2,5 cm.. quite big, but closer to Edge's size yes.

That 2nd looks really similar! :up: Only a tiny bit bigger than Edge's. I'd say his are 2/3d that size.

The middle one in the second link is what I use. I really like it. I went through several full-size slides before I got the idea to try a short one from watching The Edge. It's much easier for me to play. Definitely worth trying.

I bought one of these from Allans music in Australia, it was still slightly longer than edges on city, miracle, magnificent etc. so i just used a hacksaw to trim it down to size then filed the edges smooth pretty simple 20 mins work and works perfect for those slides and gives the ability to go stright back to regular notes

All this talk about the ring slide that edge has....he used them during the vertigo tour, his were custom made by dallas, but YOU can get yours here. Their called the James Musser ring. Heres the link: James Musser Ring - Online Store

Back
Top Bottom