Which of the two new songs do you prefer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I understand why some fans are feeling like things are taking a turn for the worst. I have to admit I am somewhat disappointed in the new songs, and to see the band open their 2010 tour opener with Beautiful Day and not a new song or something from their latest album, that's bad news. However, U2 have always come back strong from set backs, so I'm not counting them out just yet, but the new songs are a bit mediocre.

As far as the original intent of this post, I like "North Star" the best...

Glastonbury and Return of Stingray Guitar make me very positive for the future, really really good songs.
Norst Star...not so much right now.

I think anyone hating on North Star is mad. That is a beautiful, beautiful song.

"Glastonbury" should end up as a b-side and not an album cut. Decent tune, but nothing special.

"Return of the Stingray" is promising, though Edge still insists on trying to be Jimmy Page. Ain't gonna happen, my man. Try something else. Still, the keyboard flourishes add a nice texture to the song, so I'll wait and see on that one.

I think anyone hating on North Star is mad. That is a beautiful, beautiful song.

"Glastonbury" should end up as a b-side and not an album cut. Decent tune, but nothing special.

"Return of the Stingray" is promising, though Edge still insists on trying to be Jimmy Page. Ain't gonna happen, my man. Try something else. Still, the keyboard flourishes add a nice texture to the song, so I'll wait and see on that one.

The keyboards make it for me on stingray.

I very much agree with Ozeeko. "Cock-rock" was the exact term I was thinking just after I heard better recordings of the new songs and new intro and just before I logged on here.

His summation of Bono's annoying stage personality is just right.

I don't know about what BVS said, but I do agree that many people (those who even agree on precisely the ways in which U2 is sucking this past decade) still attack those who also express those same opinions at another time or perhaps with greater frequency.

These new songs are embarrassing and I really dislike Beautiful Day and HATE Vertigo.

It's not just Bono. In that documentary about guitar playing released in 2008 and 2009, The Edge is ridiculously proud of that horrible "Get On Your Boots" riff. I've said it before, U2 keeps self-consciously trying to ensure a legacy by trying to ape their heroes, rather than stick to what was actually building them a legacy -- their unique music. With or Without You, Running to Stand Still, Bad, the entirety of Achtung Baby. Maybe one could point to slight influences from the past (I don't know much about '60s or '70s music), but I couldn't detect it. Now, I totally can hear the attempts at formula.

Also, Bono's stage antics are annoying. As a heterosexual male, Bono looked sexy in Rattle and Hum, even if it was a tad over the top, but, now, his attempt at acting young is much less cool than how he used to act in the '80s and '90s. He keeps doing that angry scream pose and acting like a bad ass.

Anyway, the music is the main thing, and U2 is falling short and hopefully if enough of us complain, some folks close to U2 will express this.

It's sad seeing your favorite band keep dying every year a little more. I AM A FAN, but I want and believe U2 can get back to its greatness by being true to itself instead of these embarrassing dumbing down attempts at popularity. Has Radiohead's success taught the band nothing? They can either be Radiohead or Rick Astley. The charts aren't everything and that last album wasn't a full throttle effort; it was held back by these same anxieties.

I very much agree with Ozeeko. "Cock-rock" was the exact term I was thinking just after I heard better recordings of the new songs and new intro and just before I logged on here.

I don't know about what BVS said, but I do agree that many people (those who even agree on precisely the ways in which U2 is sucking this past decade) still attack those who also express those same opinions at another time or perhaps with greater frequency.

These new songs are embarrassing and I really dislike Beautiful Day and HATE Vertigo.

It's not just Bono. In that documentary about guitar playing released in 2008 and 2009, The Edge is ridiculously proud of that horrible "Get On Your Boots" riff. I've said it before, U2 keeps self-consciously trying to ensure a legacy by trying to ape their heroes, rather than stick to what was actually building them a legacy -- their unique music. With or Without You, Running to Stand Still, Bad, the entirety of Achtung Baby. Maybe one could point to slight influences from the past (I don't know much about '60s or '70s music), but I couldn't detect it. Now, I totally can hear the attempts at formula.

Also, Bono's stage antics are annoying. As a heterosexual male, Bono looked sexy in Rattle and Hum, even if it was a tad over the top, but, now, his attempt at acting young is much less cool than how he used to act in the '80s and '90s. He keeps doing that angry scream pose and acting like a bad ass.

Anyway, the music is the main thing, and U2 is falling short and hopefully if enough of us complain, some folks close to U2 will express this.

It's sad seeing your favorite band keep dying every year a little more. I AM A FAN, but I want and believe U2 can get back to its greatness by being true to itself instead of these embarrassing dumbing down attempts at popularity. Has Radiohead's success taught the band nothing? They can either be Radiohead or Rick Astley. The charts aren't everything and that last album wasn't a full throttle effort; it was held back by these same anxieties.

I do get the feeling that much like when Bono spent an evening in the company of Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood and left it feeling a little inadequate, that he'd never written any real songs in the traditional sense(and immediately wrote silver and gold). Maybe The Edge felt similarly "naked" in the company of White and in particular Page after filming It Might Get Loud in that he didn't have many trademark power riffs to compare with them and maybe now he is trying to write a few to make up for lost time?? I really hope not as where The edge stands out as a guitarist is that he rejected this style of play and formulated his own style based on moods, textures etc, didn't he once say that he viewed notes as expensive and thus never wasted them or used them when they weren't needed?
That said I do really like Glastonbury and though it does remind me of ABOY and a few other recent tracks I'm not so fond of, I think it succeeds in that it's hook is quite interesting and does manage to get me "rocking" for want of a better word, ABOY never achieved this for me.The intro also has a bit of a power riff. but it's the keyboard part working against it that I really love. So far I'm impressed but I do understand your fears Mudfeld.

I've only listened to the new stuff once or twice at the mo and so far the Glastonbury song is doing it for me . . . although watching the video of North Star from U2gigs got me all shivery . . . I'm just delighted that there is new stuff out there that they can develop and, as some one a little earlier in the thread said, I just hope they don't over produce the hell out of it . . . looking forward to seeing how these songs ('stingray' intro, 'glastonbury' and 'north star') develop over the course of the tour; oh, and I'm really really excited that they are trying out some new material so early in the tour . . . :up:

I am puzzled at all of the criticism the Edge is receiving for using a 'hard rock' sound, when that same hard rock sound informed The Fly, Zoo Station, UTETOTW, HMTMKMKM and Discotheque, which are (rightly) lauded on these forums. I get the impression that some people on here want to deconstruct rock music out of existence, leaving nothing but 'nice melodies'. In my view that is a defeatist approach- I want U2 to rock hard and I also want them to incorporate club music influences again, like they did in the 1990s. I feel Glastonbury is a move in the right direction.

Actually none, the slow song just has nothing to it.
The 'faster' song just sounds like another SUC/LAPOE, U2 desperatly trying to prove they can still rock or something? Please Edge just bring back your delay pedals and make a good melodic song instead of these plain boring riffs.

I think you are being defeatist. If U2 had spent their career writing nice 'melodic songs', it would have meant no Zoo Station, no Discotheque, no The Fly or no HMTMKMKM. Instead it would have been album after album of songs like Peace On Earth. :down:

Bear in mind North Star/For your Love has supposedly been around for a number of years (pre HTDAAB). Didn't Bono say something about a request for it from someone before playing it. It may just have been an airing out of a old song as a favour than some friend of the band or someone in the camp really liked. We'll see if it sticks. It's actually reasonably exciting to hear new music in a live setting first, hopefully they'll swap them out with some other new stuff, or play about with various structures of the songs.

I am puzzled at all of the criticism the Edge is receiving for using a 'hard rock' sound, when that same hard rock sound informed The Fly, Zoo Station, UTETOTW, HMTMKMKM and Discotheque, which are (rightly) lauded on these forums. I get the impression that some people on here want to deconstruct rock music out of existence, leaving nothing but 'nice melodies'. In my view that is a defeatist approach- I want U2 to rock hard and I also want them to incorporate club music influences again, like they did in the 1990s. I feel Glastonbury is a move in the right direction.
Interesting that you mentioned "The Fly", "Zoo Station", UTEOTW, HMTMKMKM, "Discotheque", 'cause all of them have heavy inspiration from the 1970's rock, but they're not straight 1970's wannabe songs. I think that's part of the thing with "Glastonbury" or ABOY (and I'm a fan of ABOY): they're trying to seem they directly came from the 1970's and they're not defying as the first ones.

But let's wait for the studio version of "Glastonbury" and then make a final veredict.

AMEN!!!! I totally agree!!!!!!!!!:applaud:

What i still dont get, why is it that the people who hate U2 these days still keep coming onto this forum just to try and convince everyone that likes the new songs etc that they are wrong?

Basically what they are saying it "we dont like the new stuff, so thats it U2 are crap now everyone and if you like the songs then your opinions dont count for nothing.

i love the organs in Glastonbury. totally changes my opinion of the song from where it was 5 days ago.

What i still dont get, why is it that the people who hate U2 these days still keep coming onto this forum just to try and convince everyone that likes the new songs etc that they are wrong?

Basically what they are saying it "we dont like the new stuff, so thats it U2 are crap now everyone and if you like the songs then your opinions dont count for nothing.

It's actually the other way around. Those that like the new stuff criticize the ones that don't.

Just listened to North Star again. I think it has the potential to be one of their best post-ATYCLB songs.

As I said in the other thread, North Star has some potential after hearing a clear version of it. Glastonbury is decent enough. The chorus and intro are good: almost a better version of the GOYB riff, if that makes any sense.

:doh::down::angry:

:up::applaud::heart:

Its funny how people come on hear and say that the new songs are crap and U2 are finished,but they dont back that argument up. And thats because its only there opinion,but its like its gospel and we should all give up because they think there rubbish. Well in my opinion the new songs are great,especially glastonbury. But if you dont like them fair enough,go listen to snow patrol or coldplay.

Glastonbury and Stingray moved a little higher now with the clearer Turin footage, still North Star is my favourite.

If I had to pick the next album sound I'd say mix of Soon and Stingray would be nice.

Back
Top Bottom