wait 4 it! Bono says new song is their best ever!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Slow Loris said:

And not only that, but "biggest hit ever" doesn't necessarily mean "best song ever" either. So even if Bono (and not Eno) had made the bet, we still couldn't accuse him of saying 'Stuck in a Moment' was their best or greatest song.

This reminds me of how everyone took Bono's "punk rock from Venus" quote out of context. Bono thinks abstractly and in metaphor. What does Venus represent? The feminine, of course. So it was punk rock with a femininity.....which is quite the opposite to most people's idea of punk rock (typically ultra masculine)....so his description actually makes a lot of sense when you think about it.

Misinterpretation is the enemy of communication.

Especially here at Interference.com. :wink:

Wow. That's a really good point....

Chizip said:
ah mr loris, after bono said "the new album (HTDAAB) is the closest they have ever got to making the perfect album"

you responded with:

so clearly you know Bono is master of the hype
Yes, but Bono's description of the songs on ATYCLB ("15 of the best U2 songs ever written") was clearly hyperbole. That was obviously hype. It's a bit different when he singles out a single song. And lastly, my point wasn't that Bono never used hype. I think we all know he does. My point was that misinterpretion of the hype creates a completely different picture of what Bono was actually going for. And that's when hype becomes misplaced conjecture.

ATYCLB = best 15 songs evaaaa
HTDAAB = most perfect album evaaa
Window in the Skies = best song evaaaa

you have to admit you laugh a little when Bono makes this proclamations, but thats why we love him :wink:

Bono thinks that Wild Honey, Peace on Earth, A Man and a Woman and Crumbs From Your Table are amongst U2's best songs.

Things don't bode well for the next album.

Lancemc said:
All I want is for it to indicate a better album than HTDAAB. I want to see what Rubin can do with the boys.

I hate comments like these.

For those of us who really adore HTDAAB, it's a very high bar Rubin and U2 have to reach.

For those who don't like HTDAAB, it's a low bar and "anything that's not HTDAAB" is automatically better by default (or so it seems).

So while I too am curious as to what Rubin will create, if the beach clips are any indication, I'm not waiting anxiously.

The Slow Loris said:

Yes, but Bono's description of the songs on ATYCLB ("15 of the best U2 songs ever written") was clearly hyperbole. That was obviously hype. It's a bit different when he singles out a single song. And lastly, my point wasn't that Bono never used hype. I think we all know he does. My point was that misinterpretion of the hype creates a completely different picture of what Bono was actually going for. And that's when hype becomes misplaced conjecture.

I think what's necessary to add to the above is that U2 have been doing this 4EVAH!

Go back and read some 80's "Rolling Stones" articles. There's hype on JT (about it being their best ever). U2 always hype. They have to. They also have to have confidence in their songs. Because of they don't, who will? Who will give these songs any time of day if the band doesn't even back them up? It's like an actor saying, "I just made a crap movie - not sure who's gonna see it, but hey, maybe someone will like it." Even if an actor felt this was true, no one is going to say it. In U2's case, though, given how much control they have over their work, I do feel they can be critical or over-enthusiastic. But this is hardly new - U2 have done it for 20+ years!

doctorwho said:

It's like an actor saying, "I just made a crap movie - not sure who's gonna see it, but hey, maybe someone will like it." Even if an actor felt this was true, no one is going to say it.

Except Mel Gibson of course:

On Million Dollar Hotel: "More boring than a dog's arse"

Geez I remember reading in a paper from 1994 , and I still have it...Bono talking about U2 recording a real 'rock album'
and we got Passengers. LOL

The Slow Loris said:

This reminds me of how everyone took Bono's "punk rock from Venus" quote out of context. Bono thinks abstractly and in metaphor. What does Venus represent? The feminine, of course. So it was punk rock with a femininity.....which is quite the opposite to most people's idea of punk rock (typically ultra masculine)....so his description actually makes a lot of sense when you think about it.

The most pathetic thing is "punk rock on Venus" everyone and their mother likes to rag on had nothing to do with Bomb we got in 2004.

He made that quote in Spring of 2003, so he was referring to Thomas sessions or maybe even the earliest recordings in that old club in France. Well before Lillywhite entered the picture, so yeah I'd say that quote stopped being valid then at the latest.

:corn: I can't wait for the "but he said it's a hip hop album!" whining when the Rubin album comes out.

Bono always hypes up the albums. Maybe instead of his mouth, some people would be better off using their ears to decide on the music.

maybe it WILL be their best song ever :wink:

doubtful but you never know. it will probably be somebody's favorite song and it will probably be somebody's most hated song as well.

I just hope it's good. I like Electrical Storm but i want something better than that this time around.

I can't see it being their best song because they would want to save it for an album? but then again if you look at it another way maybe they want to add their best song to promote this album. The only problem with that is if it is their best song (and this is very subjective) then this song may be forgotten over the years. I mean ES was a very nice song but it will never be remembered as a classic. If it was in an album maybe it would be remembered more.

I don't care what Bono (or any other band member) says about upcoming albums...as long as the music's good when all's said and done. They obviously have a different point of view when making said coments, and know the spirit/attitude of the album better than any fans.

doctorwho said:

I hate comments like these.

For those of us who really adore HTDAAB, it's a very high bar Rubin and U2 have to reach.

For those who don't like HTDAAB, it's a low bar and "anything that's not HTDAAB" is automatically better by default (or so it seems).

So while I too am curious as to what Rubin will create, if the beach clips are any indication, I'm not waiting anxiously.

Don't get me wrong, I really do like HTDAAB, but it was still an obvious step back in terms of album continuity and direction as far an production and arrangement goes, a similar problem POP faced. I do like HTDAAB, but I think Rubin can top it, and I want to see that happen. I know U2 can do better. They did with ATYCLB, and I'd like to see it happen again.

^I would also like to see that happen again...who wouldn't? IMO, it will be hard to top HTDAAB, but of course they can do it. It seems Rubin will help transition them into a new sound. I love how U2 are one of the few bands that continuously change their sound, despite what the ATYCLB and Bomb hating ppl say.

Lancemc said:

Don't get me wrong, I really do like HTDAAB, but it was still an obvious step back in terms of album continuity and direction as far an production and arrangement goes, a similar problem POP faced. I do like HTDAAB, but I think Rubin can top it, and I want to see that happen. I know U2 can do better. They did with ATYCLB, and I'd like to see it happen again.

I'll agree that, while the BOMB was an amazing collection of songs, it wasn't their best as far as "album continuity and direction as far an production and arrangement goes" BUT, I would say that ALL THAT was even worse........IMHO.

Yeah, they can do better. Even Bono admitted that the BOMB was NOT bigger than the sum of it's parts.

U2girl said:
Brian Eno made a bet with Bono Stuck would be their biggest hit ever. (so he, not Bono, thought they had a great song)
Is that what you meant?

Let's go further back in time.

Before "Pop" was released, there was tons of discussion on how "Staring at the Sun" was going to be U2's next big #1 song in the U.S.

It peaked at #26.

Larry, of course, now blames this on the lack of mixing and finishing the song. Hmm... :hmm: If the version of the song on the 90's "Best Of" is the official "finished" product, I don't see it peaking any higher than, oh, #26. :sexywink:

I could go even further back in time - oceans of hype about "Hold Me...Thrill Me".

In other words, each release has tons of U2 hype. :yes:

Niceman said:

I'll agree that, while the BOMB was an amazing collection of songs, it wasn't their best as far as "album continuity and direction as far an production and arrangement goes" BUT, I would say that ALL THAT was even worse........IMHO.

Yeah, they can do better. Even Bono admitted that the BOMB was NOT bigger than the sum of it's parts.

The trouble with this argument is that U2 are NOT a group that makes a cohesive or continuous album - at least not lately.

The early albums did have more cohesiveness, but that's because U2 was still defining their sound. The most "continuous" album is arguably JT. But JT is continuous because the songs tend to blend right into each other (barring a few token exceptions). And, IMO, that's probably the biggest weakness of JT. I'm not hearing enough diversity.

But with R&H, U2 are bouncing. Songs don't blend into each other on R&H and many different styles are explored. We have hard rock along with jazz and folk. U2 continue that trend from AB through today.

So it really depends on how you define "continuous". Do you mean cohesive? If so, U2 hasn't done this in ages. Do you mean quality of songs? That's far too subjective - what you may hate, others may adore. Production? IMO, most people don't notice it. I never do. Only those true techno/audio-philes who listen closely with headphones seem to pick up any production issues.

Hence, this topic is challenging and one of the reasons why I wrote my first post.

So how do I judge an album? There are several factors. One is by songs that forward or advance a sound and an artist. HTDAAB has that with "Fast Cars" and "Love & Peace" - sounds I haven't heard from U2 in the past. I also judge an album by songs I really enjoy and could listen to over and over - long after the album's release. "Bomb" is now just shy of 2 years old, long enough for me to say that I still love the same 6 of 11 songs and could listen to them over and over. And I judge an album by how many songs I really dislike. "Bomb" has a few, 2 that I don't care for - but I also have 2 on JT and 2 on AB.

In other words, I like HTDAAB quite a bit because it has all the elements I love in music. It shows more energy and creativity than ATYCLB. This isn't to say ATYCLB is bad. In fact, I think it was THE perfect album for U2 to release at that point in their careers. They had really gone out there in terms of exploration, especially with "Zooropa", OS1 and "Pop". It was time to re-explore U2 and U2's unique sound. Admittedly, "Bomb" keeps that theme going, but also expands upon it. Even "Vertigo" is unique (probably why it was such a big hit).

Now, if U2's next album is too similar to HTDAAB or regresses to ATYCLB, I may be disappointed. But I won't make that judgment until I hear the songs. There's nothing wrong with an artist sounding like him/her/themselves. But if the artist's new work sounds exactly like their old work (a problem INXS and Bon Jovi often face, IMO) then audiences get a bit bored. So U2 need to expand on those tidbits of "Bomb" that got me excited (e.g., "Fast Cars", "Vertigo", "Love & Peace"). I'm hoping Rubin picks up on those and keeps it going.

doctorwho said:

The trouble with this argument is that U2 are NOT a group that makes a cohesive or continuous album - at least not lately.

The early albums did have more cohesiveness, but that's because U2 was still defining their sound. The most "continuous" album is arguably JT. But JT is continuous because the songs tend to blend right into each other (barring a few token exceptions). And, IMO, that's probably the biggest weakness of JT. I'm not hearing enough diversity.

But with R&H, U2 are bouncing. Songs don't blend into each other on R&H and many different styles are explored. We have hard rock along with jazz and folk. U2 continue that trend from AB through today.

So it really depends on how you define "continuous". Do you mean cohesive? If so, U2 hasn't done this in ages. Do you mean quality of songs? That's far too subjective - what you may hate, others may adore. Production? IMO, most people don't notice it. I never do. Only those true techno/audio-philes who listen closely with headphones seem to pick up any production issues.

Hence, this topic is challenging and one of the reasons why I wrote my first post.

So how do I judge an album? There are several factors. One is by songs that forward or advance a sound and an artist. HTDAAB has that with "Fast Cars" and "Love & Peace" - sounds I haven't heard from U2 in the past. I also judge an album by songs I really enjoy and could listen to over and over - long after the album's release. "Bomb" is now just shy of 2 years old, long enough for me to say that I still love the same 6 of 11 songs and could listen to them over and over. And I judge an album by how many songs I really dislike. "Bomb" has a few, 2 that I don't care for - but I also have 2 on JT and 2 on AB.

In other words, I like HTDAAB quite a bit because it has all the elements I love in music. It shows more energy and creativity than ATYCLB. This isn't to say ATYCLB is bad. In fact, I think it was THE perfect album for U2 to release at that point in their careers. They had really gone out there in terms of exploration, especially with "Zooropa", OS1 and "Pop". It was time to re-explore U2 and U2's unique sound. Admittedly, "Bomb" keeps that theme going, but also expands upon it. Even "Vertigo" is unique (probably why it was such a big hit).

Now, if U2's next album is too similar to HTDAAB or regresses to ATYCLB, I may be disappointed. But I won't make that judgment until I hear the songs. There's nothing wrong with an artist sounding like him/her/themselves. But if the artist's new work sounds exactly like their old work (a problem INXS and Bon Jovi often face, IMO) then audiences get a bit bored. So U2 need to expand on those tidbits of "Bomb" that got me excited (e.g., "Fast Cars", "Vertigo", "Love & Peace"). I'm hoping Rubin picks up on those and keeps it going.

I think Rattle & Hum, Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Passengers, and POP were ALL cohesive albums. I heard a narrative, a flow. The sum was greater than the parts.

Especially Achtung. That's an emotional journey, a story.

As far as the rest of your post. I'll agree wholeheartedly that, while I LOVE the Bomb, I want U2 to continue to move their sound forward and keep discovering new musical countries.

doctorwho said:

I could go even further back in time - oceans of hype about "Hold Me...Thrill Me".

Yeah, but that's because Hold Me, Thrill Me is a bitchin' song! :)

doctorwho said:
But JT is continuous because the songs tend to blend right into each other (barring a few token exceptions). And, IMO, that's probably the biggest weakness of JT.
That's actually my favorite part about JT. That "blending" makes the songs all feel like a single unit, and for me, that's what makes an album enjoyable and listenable. Compared to JT (and even moreso UF), HTDAAB feels totally disjointed. And that's mostly what I don't like about it. I like many of the songs, but I can't usually listen to the album all the way through. There's no flow. I don't want every song to be single-worthy, which is what they attempted with Bomb. The result? A strong collection of songs, but a weak album.

Anyway, I hope I like the new song. :wink:

Hang on a minute...why are surprised and arguing about all this hype business?

Remember U2 were known as The Hype so what can you expect?

I remember Bono and Brain Eno saying that Stuck In A Moment could be their best and most popular song ever, I think Eno even had a bet with the band that it would be the most successful single.

When I heard the song I was very disappointed and had a completely opposite view, I think it's one of their worst singles ever.

I hope the new song live up to the hpye and isn't some lame, boring, bland attempt at appeasing the masses, lacking any real power or vitality, that Stuck In A Moment suffers from.

Only Eno, he even made that bet with Bono Stuck will be their biggest single.

is stuck in a moment really that bad?... it's probably in my top 5 cause it ALWAYS cheers me up when i have a shit day...and i dont think it was written to appease the masses...im pretty sure that song was written about michael hutchance cause he commited suicide...

and as for window in the skies being their best song...no. that's just bono being bono, hyping up their next release. i dont think it will suck, but it ain't gonna be their best .....but you never know

Back
Top Bottom