Unknown Caller appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
soooo, a lot of ppl really DO think this is U2's best song (or one of the best) ever??? errr.....ok :huh:

on a side note, the beautiful day bashing never ceases to amaze me, it seems like a lot of ppl do it JUST becuz of it's overwhelming commercial success. i guess the need for uniqueness and non-conformity is too strong in some ppl, they can't allow themselves to like a song which is adored by every tom, dick and harry and is used (still) so blatantly by campaigners, sports organizers etc. etc. their favourite U2 songs will always be ones which aren't well known outside the fan base, and sometimes not even inside of it! seems like an ego thing to me, like "hey the masses love this song (or movie, or book or watever), and people are all stupid! I am a being of above average intelligence and stature, thus I cannot possibly allow myself to fall to the level of the sheep and appreciate this song! Ergo I hate this song!"

alright i'm loosing it a bit here, but i'v had a REALLY long day and this beautiful day bashing was more than i cud take! commercial and mainstream aren't ALWAYS defilers of art. BD is one of the most uplifting, joyous songs EVER!! and this isn't just my opinion, this is FACT. becuz i am a being of above average intelligence and u BD bashers are all sheep! :applaud:

soooo, a lot of ppl really DO think this is U2's best song (or one of the best) ever??? errr.....ok :huh:

on a side note, the beautiful day bashing never ceases to amaze me, it seems like a lot of ppl do it JUST becuz of it's overwhelming commercial success. i guess the need for uniqueness and non-conformity is too strong in some ppl, they can't allow themselves to like a song which is adored by every tom, dick and harry and is used (still) so blatantly by campaigners, sports organizers etc. etc. their favourite U2 songs will always be ones which aren't well known outside the fan base, and sometimes not even inside of it! seems like an ego thing to me, like "hey the masses love this song (or movie, or book or watever), and people are all stupid! I am a being of above average intelligence and stature, thus I cannot possibly allow myself to fall to the level of the sheep and appreciate this song! Ergo I hate this song!"

alright i'm loosing it a bit here, but i'v had a REALLY long day and this beautiful day bashing was more than i cud take! commercial and mainstream aren't ALWAYS defilers of art. BD is one of the most uplifting, joyous songs EVER!! and this isn't just my opinion, this is FACT. becuz i am a being of above average intelligence and u BD bashers are all sheep! :applaud:

Nope that has nothing all to do with why Beautiful Day is not a great U2 song in my opinion. Don't get me wrong its a decent song just not a great song. To me it has always sounded like U2 going back and doing an easy song to do. Its like all the U2 haters would say when ATYCLB came out, was same old sound from U2 and they'd be right when that album came out and especially that song. It kinda pisses me off when somebody says that I don't like that song cos it was commercially successful. So was With Or Without You and that IS a great song from a great album. I would say around 8 tracks off the new album are better than Beautiful Day. Only maybe Boots, Crazy and WAS are about the same level and the others are better. BD is not even the best song on ATYCLB. Kite, IALW, WILATW, Walk On and New York are all better in my opinion.

It kinda pisses me off when somebody says that I don't like that song cos it was commercially successful. So was With Or Without You and that IS a great song from a great album

well if u like with or without you u'r OBVIOUSLY not part of that group. and I didn't say u were, I just meant that ppl who let the commercial aspect or mass appeal of any piece of art bias their opnion of it really piss me off. anyway no hard feelings mate, I hav a lot of respect for all interferencers, cuz we're the best damn U2 fans on the planet! :applaud:

i love the idea behind this song...god sending text messages...classic!....edge's guitar solo is scintillating, bono's vocal delivery in the only 2 verses is beautiful, great transition from a rather odd intro, and full band choruses make this song fantastic

Nope that has nothing all to do with why Beautiful Day is not a great U2 song in my opinion. Don't get me wrong its a decent song just not a great song. To me it has always sounded like U2 going back and doing an easy song to do. Its like all the U2 haters would say when ATYCLB came out, was same old sound from U2 and they'd be right when that album came out and especially that song. It kinda pisses me off when somebody says that I don't like that song cos it was commercially successful. So was With Or Without You and that IS a great song from a great album. I would say around 8 tracks off the new album are better than Beautiful Day. Only maybe Boots, Crazy and WAS are about the same level and the others are better. BD is not even the best song on ATYCLB. Kite, IALW, WILATW, Walk On and New York are all better in my opinion.
I don't particularly like With Or Without You:reject:

It never did it for me. It's got a great start but when Bono starts that strained, screeching singing it just does my head in, a lot of JT has too much wailing on it from the Bman too.

I'm prepared for the abuse now:wink: But that's how I hear JT

Beautiful Day is incredible, one of the songs of the decade is how it will be and deserves to be remembered, pure joy.

I remember when it was released, I wasn't a U2 fan back then, but the song had a quality that distinguished it from anything else out there at the time. A lot of people forget how unique it was at the time. The sound coming out of Edge's guitar, and how it came out, was (and still is) something special.

Has the song been overplayed? Yes, it probably has, but there's a very good reason for that. It really is very fucking good at satisfying.

Beautiful Day is incredible, one of the songs of the decade is how it will be and deserves to be remembered, pure joy.

I remember when it was released, I wasn't a U2 fan back then, but the song had a quality that distinguished it from anything else out there at the time. A lot of people forget how unique it was at the time. The sound coming out of Edge's guitar, and how it came out, was (and still is) something special.

Has the song been overplayed? Yes, it probably has, but there's a very good reason for that. It really is very fucking good at satisfying.

:hmm:
Well i didn't had any orgasm whatsoever...

I think the guitar solo is the most beautiful I have ever heard in my 30 years of listening to music. :bow:

Not saying it's the greatest ever but to me personally it's the most beautiful.

do people actually experience orgasms when listening to music? if so, i guess i'm really missing out.

it starts with the sound of birds and ends with a solo where Edge changes the tone of his guitar 3 times
what's there not to love?

it starts with the sound of birds and ends with a solo where Edge changes the tone of his guitar 3 times
what's there not to love?

I like the start and love the finish but I just don't "get" the song...yet. I can't get past the lyrics/ chorus. Im not saying its a bad song, because its not. I have heard so many people say they love this song, even in non-U2 forums.

So, can someone give me a perspective of what the song is about and more so, how the lyrics are justified? I really feel like one day Im going to listen to it and say "oh, got it" but Im not there right now. :doh:

I like the start and love the finish but I just don't "get" the song...yet. I can't get past the lyrics/ chorus. Im not saying its a bad song, because its not. I have heard so many people say they love this song, even in non-U2 forums.

So, can someone give me a perspective of what the song is about and more so, how the lyrics are justified? I really feel like one day Im going to listen to it and say "oh, got it" but Im not there right now. :doh:

The song is the second part of Moment of Surrender, the character is down and out. The whole idea of the song is that his phone starts talking to him and texting him commands (from God according to some people or maybe he's just crazy). In my mind the guy is down and out after Moment of Surrender and is trying to call his dealer for a fix when his phone fails to work, after the call his phone starts talking to him. I also think the second verse could be about contemplating suicide and then his phone/God starts talking to him again

At least I think :lol:

After I hadn't listened to the album for several days I listened again and Unknown Caller really hit me the most, it's like I just fell in love with it again. And the first time I fully started to appreciate the solo. :up:

I am really surprised this song has not been widely spoken of as a possible single. To me it seems a no-brainer, it sounds like a modern U2 anthem, classic U2 style chants, accounting for the catchiest chorus on the whole album.

This song should be a single BEFORE they even think about Crazy or MoS.... Unless of course the band decides to release Mos and Unknown Caller as a double sided EP, with film clips to both songs.... So tha radio stations and MTV channels could play both...

Now THAT is an idea I like the sound of...

Heard it again for the first time in days and it still has that " god walking into the room " moment.

Pure gold.

Just listened to it again. Played it as the first song...all I can say is this is an amazing song!

And---for the record...this album is just first class - the more I listen the more I see it as a perfect companion. This feeling just didn't happen to me on the last couple of albums - nothing wrong with those albums by the way, I like them - but this one is just blowing me away and will certainly stand the test of time amongst my U2 catalogue.

I will certainly go down that well worn path of comparing it to other U2 pieces - this one stands alone as do other great U2 albums in their own way.

Not sure what I am trying to say here, but I think it is that I am in awe of this album and of this band. This album has a personality that is distinct and it will stand out even more as time goes by.

Cheers!:wink:

One of the best U2 songs ever. So many great moments. The solo. The lyrics. The way Bono sings the main parts keeps me coming back again and agin. And (many others here at Interference have said this also) that synth break after "don't move or say a thing" is in my top 3 favorite u2 song moments of all time. When that part comes, i literally feel like i'm floating in space "on the edge of the known universe."

Back
Top Bottom