U2 on Good Morning America March 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Best performance of Magnificent so far. Really impressive. But Bono, for the love of all puppies, would you please stop trying to do that 'Fool to Cry' falsetto just before Edge's solo kicks in? You can't pull off that kind of thing anymore. It's weak. Let it go.

Could not agree more. I think all of us ... including him ... wishes he could still bring that to the game, but he can't. He almost single-handedly destroys Crazy Tonight.

Don't get me wrong ... I miss those days, but he really needs to let it go. And half the time he does try it these days, it is completely not needed. Like in Magnificent. A magical, soaring tune that with their rapid entry into live and that falsetto thing are trying to make that not an instant stadium classic.

Could not agree more. I think all of us ... including him ... wishes he could still bring that to the game, but he can't. He almost single-handedly destroys Crazy Tonight.

Don't get me wrong ... I miss those days, but he really needs to let it go. And half the time he does try it these days, it is completely not needed. Like in Magnificent. A magical, soaring tune that with their rapid entry into live and that falsetto thing are trying to make that not an instant stadium classic.

Well I think that the high note he did in 3:18 is alot better then the falsetto he is suposed to do :)
YouTube - U2 - Magnificent Live at Fordham University on Good Morning America Show

The sound on the broadcast was horrendous. Slightly better than the Grammy's. But, not by much.

The crowd looked pretty dead to me. Not sure how much of that is the yutes of America not being into U2. Or, if the material is just not holding up well live.

For the folks who have seen U2 live and who went today ... are the tunes going to work in a stadium setting?

The Letterman performances were ridiculously good, so I am hopeful. It's just when I see a ridiculously dead crowd like at Fordham, I start to worry.

The sound on the broadcast was horrendous. Slightly better than the Grammy's. But, not by much.

The crowd looked pretty dead to me. Not sure how much of that is the yutes of America not being into U2. Or, if the material is just not holding up well live.

For the folks who have seen U2 live and who went today ... are the tunes going to work in a stadium setting?

The Letterman performances were ridiculously good, so I am hopeful. It's just when I see a ridiculously dead crowd like at Fordham, I start to worry.

Your the only one who i have seen say the crowd was "dead".

From what i seen people where dancing and jumping about?

wow Bono is really getting into it, first performances, even of BD in UK were a bit weak, Bono's voice was shaky but now he's got into great form.
Is there video of Breathe aviable ? Can't find it.

Bono's falsetto was always one of things I liked best about his voice. His vocal performance on Your Blue Room still moves me every time I hear it. It's just so otherworldly.

It's actually quite sad listening to him trying to pull something off and failing miserably. It must be terribly frustrating for him, too. Still, that was then, this is now...

Your the only one who i have seen say the crowd was "dead".

Really? I am not being critical of the band by any means.

Granted, you can't always judge by what you see on tv. And, maybe I am just flat-out wrong. But, that looked like a pretty dead crowd. Not as dead as the Grammy crowd, but that was an abysmal effort by the boys that night.

The broadcast sound doesn't seem that bad to me. For example Larry's drums sounded to me better here than on Letterman.

JC, I'm so happy you got to be there! :hug: I wish I could've gotten into the city sometime this past week, but unfortunately it wasn't good timing for me. I've been telling Sarah and David that we need to start every morning with some live U2! And I know what you mean about the woman from the Chicago DVD. I alternate between being ridiculously jealous and wishing I could be at so many U2 events and have so many awesome experiences with the band, to just being happy for a fellow hard-core fan. I just truly hope that these fans that seem to show up everywhere (front row center floor for MANY concerts for example) are fair, and don't try to "cheat the system" in some way. (Just to clarify, I certainly don't mean to imply that they do). Did anyone else see "tattoo Dan" at Letterman Monday night? I wish I had the luck, or connections, that some of these people do! Oh well, I guess I can't complain.:hmm:

BTW, great pics! I'm looking forward to meeting a bunch of you at the Kiss the Future Tour '09!

~Liz

Yeah they look pretty lively to me! The "SOUL!" chant with the crowd at the end of BD was sweet.

And this was all at just 8:45 in the morning, too!

Okay, I'm an idiot. Not trying to blast the yutes or the boys.

I always get a little nervous before each album and tour.

Agree. Magnificent was clearly written to be an instant classic stadium anthem. I love it for that because the tune just freaking soars. It has a HUGE sound, and I cannot wait to hear it live.

They're playing tv spots right now, what we could be hearing are live versions the radio edit.

But, if they lose the intro to the tune, they lose the power of the anthem.

:sad: i got accepted to fordham early action in january, and they sent me an email yesterday from the dean of admissions, telling me to "set my dvr for U2!!"
i think i should go to school there, they understand my priorities :love:

also, two of my cousins go there, so i might be able to see what they taped there :drool: such as the performance of "breathe"....:shifty:

Magnificent is going to blast a stadium. The rest will too. I think this morning Bono sounded amazing.

The problem with the crowd was that they were standing there since 630 and we were told that they would be on at 7 for sound checks it turned out to be 815 about when they went on. There was alot of down time and an emcee would come out and rouse the crowd. The morning was a tough one considering some of the kids slept out in the cold.

All, and all it was still amazing and Bono voice is splendid, Adam is rockin it, Edge well he's on fire. As for Larry, they went wild for him!

Magnificent is going to blast a stadium. The rest will too. I think this morning Bono sounded amazing.

The problem with the crowd was that they were standing there since 630 and we were told that they would be on at 7 for sound checks it turned out to be 815 about when they went on. There was alot of down time and an emcee would come out and rouse the crowd. The morning was a tough one considering some of the kids slept out in the cold.

All, and all it was still amazing and Bono voice is splendid, Adam is rockin it, Edge well he's on fire. As for Larry, they went wild for him!

yeah i noticed on gma an emcee off to the side raising his arms up to get the crowd to do the same, i think to make the panning shots look more impressive
also, the fact that they were playing unfamiliar songs might have been a factor - less people could sing along to them :shrug:

just wondering, how did you get in to the show??? :)

I just re-read what I wrote on the previous page, and want to apologize if it seemed like I was accusing people of cheating or doing things that are unfair to get close to the band. Please understand that was not my intention at all! Believe me, I am envious and wish I had their luck or whatever affords them these awesome opportunities. I meant no ill will of any kind. I only mentioned Dan because I heard him on the radio (101.9) Tuesday afternoon when I was trying to win tickets for next week's Boston show (my daughter Sarah met him outside the book signing 2 1/2 years ago). Most of the fans I've met at concerts/events have been wonderful, friendly, and very kind. Our most favorite U2 fan/friend gave up his front row inside the ellipse spot for Sarah; he stood behind us so we could see, even though he had a perfect spot on the rail. We had such an amazing experience that night, partly due to the generosity of a total stranger that shared a love for this incredible band! I just wanted to clarify...sorry!

I'll go back to lurking now.

~Liz

JC- I'm so glad you had a great time. Your pics are amazing. I found out that they let a few fans in.

I talked to Dan on Monday for a few minutes and maybe he got on the stand-by list. I know he was trying. There was also a lady at 7th and 47th gving a way tickets and all you had to do is answer the question right.

yeah i noticed on gma an emcee off to the side raising his arms up to get the crowd to do the same, i think to make the panning shots look more impressive
also, the fact that they were playing unfamiliar songs might have been a factor - less people could sing along to them :shrug:

just wondering, how did you get in to the show??? :)

I won tickets from a radio station. :up: It was fabulous still, the setting just the whole thing!

JC, I'm so happy you got to be there! :hug: I wish I could've gotten into the city sometime this past week, but unfortunately it wasn't good timing for me. I've been telling Sarah and David that we need to start every morning with some live U2! And I know what you mean about the woman from the Chicago DVD. I alternate between being ridiculously jealous and wishing I could be at so many U2 events and have so many awesome experiences with the band, to just being happy for a fellow hard-core fan. I just truly hope that these fans that seem to show up everywhere (front row center floor for MANY concerts for example) are fair, and don't try to "cheat the system" in some way. (Just to clarify, I certainly don't mean to imply that they do). Did anyone else see "tattoo Dan" at Letterman Monday night? I wish I had the luck, or connections, that some of these people do! Oh well, I guess I can't complain.:hmm:

BTW, great pics! I'm looking forward to meeting a bunch of you at the Kiss the Future Tour '09!

~Liz

Thank you, I totally understand what you mean. I've seen them at various events and even ones I didn't attend. So, if security was tight at FU, how'd they do it?

Back
Top Bottom