"U2 confirm 2013 album"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah because Brian Eno hasn't produced or co-produced many good albums really has he? You know just Low, Heroes, Lodger, the 3 best U2 albums, Remain In Light, Fear of Music, Laid, Viva La Vida(if you like that sort of thing), john Cale albums, Harold budd, Laurie Anderson, Jon Hassell. Not too mention his 20 odd sole albums and those little known pieces by Roxy Music...who'd want to listen to him??

I wouldn't want to live in an Enoless world......

That's because they didn't sell tickets for the upper deck. I think it was something to do with the sightlines. That didn't stop some people from sitting up there anyway.

Sightlines may have been part of it, but I think the main reason is because they knew they would not get near to selling out the capacity of that stadium in that market. So they did not sell the upper deck at all. Many bands do this in smaller markets so it doesn't look so "bad".

Like I said, it was still a good crowd for that market, but I think sightlines was more of an excuse versus the reason they did not sell those tickets. Anyway, it is not worth arguing about really. I'm not saying U2 could not do stadiums on the next tour in N. America. I just don't think they want to.

No, he didn't. He was just tired of them fucking around with that mix endlessly. He assumed wiping the slate clean would expedite things.

And releasing MOS as a single would have been a good idea, in hindsight.

And wiping the slate clean would be achieved with...deleting the current version of Streets. Not a good idea.

7+minute long, slow song that takes forever to get to a chorus would sink. It might have garnered that extra star from Pityfork and the like, but not much else. Magnificent was their best bet for a lead single but they missed it.

This isn't even getting into why a producer should have a say in picking the singles and deleting songs at will.

But the 90's fanboys are getting excited about...something so let's wait for the new album instead.

And wiping the slate clean would be achieved with...deleting the current version of Streets. Not a good idea.

I don't think it was that Eno did not like the song. What I read was he was frustrated with it because he could not get the mix and timing right and wanted to delete what they had and start it over. Glad he didn't, but it wasn't like he hated the song and didn't think it was album worthy.

I don't think it was that Eno did not like the song. What I read was he was frustrated with it because he could not get the mix and timing right and wanted to delete what they had and start it over. Glad he didn't, but it wasn't like he hated the song and didn't think it was album worthy.

That's definitely Eno's version. He said directly that sometimes trying to glue and tie pieces together is more drawn out and frustrating than just starting over fresh. He said he loved the song but thought they'd arrive at it quicker if they began without the mess they had recorded.

Judging by the live versions, Streets could have been even better. I love the studio version, but not as much as what they came up with later.

Two words: RADIO EDIT.

I'm rather glad to live in a world where a radio edit version of "Moment Of Surrender" doesn't exist.

That's the one thing I think about in regards to the argument for it being a single. Who knows if radio would've played it in it's entirety, and yet if there was a radio edit, I can imagine the fans saying how much it takes out, it being "butchered", etc.

I know the song itself took awhile to grow on me personally (though I liked it's different direction from the start), but who knows how the public would've taken it on a few initial listens?

My logic: why release a piece of shit that nobody listens to instead of a great song that nobody listens to? In the long run, the latter looks way better.

LemonMelon said:
My logic: why release a piece of shit that nobody listens to instead of a great song that nobody listens to? In the long run, the latter looks way better.

Exactamundo. The point of MOS as a single would not have been radio play. I think that they should have released it, as the first single, in its full glory, and then quickly (two weeks later) followed it up with NLOTH or Magnificent. That's basically the Viva la Vida model, and I think it's a really good model.

Exactamundo. The point of MOS as a single would not have been radio play. I think that they should have released it, as the first single, in its full glory, and then quickly (two weeks later) followed it up with NLOTH or Magnificent. That's basically the Viva la Vida model, and I think it's a really good model.

:up:

Streets? back in the day, in the late 80s, i used to listen to it when it was playing in the tape deck when i borrowed my parents' car - there was no such thing as a skip button back then lol and fast forwarding a tape was such a faff which often left me with chewed tapes, so i would just let it play, and i remember those moments so vividly, a real uplift, and it was just such a great song when i was out on the road going somewhere on a blissful sunny evening

i used to listen to it A LOT... in fact it's the only tape i remember playing in the car back then, the memories are so vivid - i just think back to that time and hear the songs... i think we get too busy and impatient to listen to "epic" songs so much now...

Streets, i think, is not a sit-down-and-listen song, it's a travelling song, you have to be going somewhere, physically or metaphorically lol

It's also the "Bad" model. U2 had basically disappeared from US radio by early 85 ("Pride" had peaked the previous fall at 33 on the Billboard 100), but when they released "Wide Awake in America," "Bad" became the signature standout on radio -- an eight minute song with no real chorus that builds and builds. Granted, it was in part fueled by their Live Aid appearance, but it's still an example of radio (both the format and the audience) embracing a complicated song that doesn't conform to "pop" standards.

Granted, 1985 is pretty far from 2009, but it was a model that had worked for them in the past...

U2 plan out their tours a few years before they actually commence. They were discussing the claw design for 360 during the Vertigo tour in S. America in early 2006. They also set the itinerary and book venues, hotels, transportation, etc. at a minimum a year in advance sometimes even more. So what they plan to do for the next tour is probably at least tentatively set or planned.

Based on their touring history, what has been said, I would make a very educated "guess" that the next N. American tour will be arenas.

What is your personal preference for, Arena's or Stadiums?

Most likely not in N. America, they will be back in arenas in N. America on the next outing. I think Adam or Bono has basically indicated this in an interview. I predict going back to the normal cycle. Arena tour first leg to begin in N. America in early spring 2014. Europe will probably still be stadiums and will be the 2nd leg that summer.

What makes you think that, and why do you describe this cycle as being normal?

Moment of Surrender was easily the best choice for lead single, because it was the best song AND the song that most significantly signaled, "Here's a new direction for you." Boots sounded too Vertigo-ish with its format and Magnificent was U2 on autopilot with boring verses and a solo Edge had to play while recovering from dental surgery or something.

What is your personal preference for, Arena's or Stadiums?

I prefer arena shows, closer to the band and a more intimate feel. Ideally I think an option of both would be great.

I say the "normal" model because typically U2 plays arenas in N. America. They are the safer route from a ticket sales perspective and N. American markets tend to be more volatile as far as popularity versus Europe. They almost have to play stadiums in Europe, ticket demand for them is much higher there and to do arenas only there would take a good year. I think Paul McGuinness has basically indicated this in the past.

My "feeling" based on being a fan of this band since the mid eighties and seeing how they work, what they have said and their history, tells me it will be arenas next time out in N. America. I think scaling back is where they are at after 360. The last time they tried to top a massive successful stadium tour was Popmart. While it was a great tour, it was not considered a huge success compared to their other tours. I do not think they will try that again. So it makes the most sense and the "limited" some would say "off the cuff" remarks by Bono and Adam seemed to indicate they were leaning towards scaling back.

Bottom line is I don't care if they do either, as long as they tour.

Moment of Surrender was easily the best choice for lead single, because it was the best song AND the song that most significantly signaled, "Here's a new direction for you." Boots sounded too Vertigo-ish with its format and Magnificent was U2 on autopilot with boring verses and a solo Edge had to play while recovering from dental surgery or something.

the more I think about it the more perfect I feel MOS would have been. It could have been for NLOTH what The Fly was for Achtung Baby.

Magnificent was U2 on autopilot with boring verses and a solo Edge had to play while recovering from dental surgery or something.

I think you're quite wrong on this. Magnificent is typically U2, but a classic on it's own and Edge's solo is quite good on this one. It should be the first single. The song is still hitting the airwaves and I think we'll hear the song on the radio in the future frequently... It's a hit-song without a big billboard salesscore.....

In my opinion the right choice of singles would have been: 1. Magnificent. 2. Unknown caller 3. Moment of Surrender 4. Breathe.....

I think you're quite wrong on this. Magnificent is typically U2, but a classic on it's own and Edge's solo is quite good on this one. It should be the first single. The song is still hitting the airwaves and I think we'll hear the song on the radio in the future frequently... It's a hit-song without a big billboard salesscore.....

In my opinion the right choice of singles would have been: 1. Magnificent. 2. Unknown caller 3. Moment of Surrender 4. Breathe.....

Magnificent WAS the second single. It got it's chance, and failed. I know the song is crazy popular on this board, and I would never say it isn't a good song, but it was nothing new and the public treated it as such.

Magnificent WAS the second single. It got it's chance, and failed. I know the song is crazy popular on this board, and I would never say it isn't a good song, but it was nothing new and the public treated it as such.

Precisely. It's solid U2 but totally by-the-numbers and it tanked. Folks need to accept this and move on.

Back
Top Bottom