Tracklist announcement timing? - Tracklist Speculation/Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
North Star

Hi (new to posting threads so here goes!)

I saw a program a while back to do with the HTDAAB sessions. I cant for the life of me remember the program title. Anyhow, Steve Lilleywhite pointed out that a song called North Star(or Northern Star) was developing and was really a song to watch out for. It was referred to as a tribute to Johnny Cash. I love music by Johnny Cash and am wondering is this track still a candidate for the NLOTH. Anyone heard of anything regarding this song?

EoF

ps I also liked All my Life beach clip from ages ago, bet that has got reworked into something else too!

Hi (new to posting threads so here goes!)

I saw a program a while back to do with the HTDAAB sessions. I cant for the life of me remember the program title. Anyhow, Steve Lilleywhite pointed out that a song called North Star(or Northern Star) was developing and was really a song to watch out for. It was referred to as a tribute to Johnny Cash. I love music by Johnny Cash and am wondering is this track still a candidate for the NLOTH. Anyone heard of anything regarding this song?

EoF

ps I also liked All my Life beach clip from ages ago, bet that has got reworked into something else too!

According to the band (I think), the Rick Rubin sessions - including "All My Life" - have been "shelved" for now. So it's unlikely that one made it on NLOTH.

"North Star," however, as a HTDAAB session creation, might have a better chance. I get the feel from what I've read of NLOTH that most all of it will be new; however, The Edge recently said that about 1/2 the album was brand new from the Eno/Lanois sessions and 1/2 was material they'd kicked around for a while, so maybe some of the pre/post-Rubin stuff they've done on their own (North Star, Mercy, etc) has made it.

We'll find out shortly, I guess.

North Star

According to the band (I think), the Rick Rubin sessions - including "All My Life" - have been "shelved" for now. So it's unlikely that one made it on NLOTH.

"North Star," however, as a HTDAAB session creation, might have a better chance. I get the feel from what I've read of NLOTH that most all of it will be new; however, The Edge recently said that about 1/2 the album was brand new from the Eno/Lanois sessions and 1/2 was material they'd kicked around for a while, so maybe some of the pre/post-Rubin stuff they've done on their own (North Star, Mercy, etc) has made it.

We'll find out shortly, I guess.

Thanks Gilead12 - I guess your right. But I remember Lillywhite making a big deal about it. The thing about U2 records is you get a load of intersting things to follow with this band. Which is why i am a great fan. You try and figure out what their theme is going to be, how the album fits together, you then get the reviews, you get the album and then along tour. Then you read about the stories of the actual songs. Not many bands you cansay this about. You get a really good deal from U2 IMO, aswell as u2.com. I look forward to reading about whatever happend to North star!

EoF

New Alb story, songs etc.

So we have some good news. The one song that I can't wait to hear clearly is song 1 from Ben's clips. This one is stuck to my head as to what we can expect. It really sounds like an awesome song. To me this might be MOS... and if they have been working on it even more.. EVEN BETTER!! 7 minutes! Man, I can't wait! :doh:

:eek: eeek! Crazy Tonight sounds like the name of a Britney Spears song .... and dear sweet lord Bono is wearing eyeliner ...

I'm scared ...

Oh please...:|

We've had titles like Disco, The Fly, etc...

And looks like the Village People, club kids, etc...

Come on people...:|

Before the shit hits the fan, I'm not juding the song, just the title. Though I do think I'm perfectly within rights to register a slight sense of alarm when I see will.i.am, bono in eyeliner, and "crazy tonight" in close proximinty with one another ...

^^Yeah lots of people say they miss the days when Bono wanted to fuck up the mainstream... but now that he does it just a wee bit..... everyone's all ooooh noooooes!!! :wink:

Wearing guyliner and recording pop songs with will.i.am isn't fucking up the mainstream. It IS the mainstream.

I imagine people said the same thing the first time that Mr Macphisto was seen, or even Mirrorball Man.

People hope for change but when they get it they dont know how to handle it...

All I can say is the more and more I read about this album and the concepts of it the more I am excited by the posibility that this album might genuinely be the 3rd classic...or 4th depending on who you talk to :)

I imagine people said the same thing the first time that Mr Macphisto was seen, or even Mirrorball Man.

All I can say is the more and more I read about this album and the concepts of it the more I am excited by the posibility that this album might genuinely be the 3rd classic...or 4th depending on who you talk to :)

Am I allowed to say 4th even if I'm not sure which one it is? I'm always certain that there is a 3rd classic but oscillate between Pop and ATYCLB.

Kosher?

qft.

I know a lot of the stuff coming out now is a bit..err...surprising. But hey! At least they're surprising us! Since we can't really judge anything without hearing the songs, I'm just excited about it all being interesting. They've certainly achieved that goal. :sexywink:

Am I allowed to say 4th even if I'm not sure which one it is? I'm always certain that there is a 3rd classic but oscillate between Pop and ATYCLB.

Kosher?

i think the mere fact that you can't pinpoint which one it is means that neither are. A classic has to be a classic, good times and bad, stormy weather and sunshine...

Yeah. I think I may just want there to be a 3rd classic.

But man, sometimes I get into one of those 2 and it feels like the best album I've ever heard...d

Yeah. I think I may just want there to be a 3rd classic.

But man, sometimes I get into one of those 2 and it feels like the best album I've ever heard...d

Yeah, i know what you mean. I think (and JOFO said it in the other thread) if any are a 3rd masterpiece, its TUF.

Good point.

I think they should be credited with a 3rd classic on the basis that they have multiple solid contenders for classic status that may or may not completely qualify.
:up:

Yeah, I just want there to be a 3rd classic. Definitely.

...NLOTH?

The more I read about the new cd the more confused that I am about the songs.

There are ten songs listed in the Q article, but nothing about 'cedars of lebanon', 'one bird', or 'for your love'. Are these still in the running, maybe they have been re-titled...who knows? What about the known 3-4 leftovers from the bomb sessions (i.e., mercy, north(ern) star, etc.

The Q article also referred to two versions of NLOTH, an older more atmospheric song (similar to TUF-era) and a newer punk-y version that Bono referred to as "just recorded the day before the interview." So, how old was this interview since there was a reference made to this song in a USA Today article (Bono and Edge played this song for a USA Today writer during an in-the-car interview at the Sundance Film Festival. On hearing it, writer Anthony Breznican says "heavy distortion fills the car," and later adds: "The song is rough, weaving between brutal guitar blasts underscoring the mellow title refrain." Edge explains that the song "It came out of a new distortion box that my guitar tech got.") The version noted in the USA Today article sounds more like the latter version....I hope both versions get released, maybe one as a 'fast cars' type of bonus song.

I also hope that the "pop" song worked by will.i.am is left off the album (if it really is more "pop" music sounding - not POP album sounding), especially if they are going for a similar mood to AB.

Bean

yeah. you are right. i think if the flow is as strong as achtung baby, i'd be happy with just 10 tracks.

i think people just sort of subscribe unknowingly to the law of averages. the more tracks, the more chances for filler...

or

every album inherently will have filler, thus the more tracks, the more the album can make up by having a higher chance for great tracks.
Achtung Baby is the only album I've ever owned with no filler -- to me at least. The perfect album!

Setlist Prediction:

This is based on the knowledge that there are up to 5 more to add to this list. I just used what little we know of the songs, and the descriptions from Q to create what I feel is a flowing and sensible order... mock if you will, im bored :wink:

1. Magnificent (ASOH style, good opener if its BC4)
2. Breathe (Good energy, would be nice to go somewhere a bit rockier for track 2)
3. No Line on the Horizon (Slow burner, builds up UF style)
4. Winter (Bring the mood down a bit, simple percussion creates a good segue from Breathe)
5. Stand Up (Swaggering, good bridging song to bring the tempo back up)
6. Get Your Boots On (Next bridging song to go from swagger into a poppier sound)
7. Crazy Tonight (pure pop, follows well from GYBO)
8. Unknown Caller (if BC1, the ethereal beggining would bring it nicely from pop to the apparent raw sounds to come)
9. Moment of Surrender (good 'live' moment, has to sit down the order to hold together the 2nd half)
10. Every Breaking Wave (know next to nothing about it, but i get the feeling it will be a closer (esp if it is BC5)

There you have it... im bored.

ooh almost forgot :drool:

I don't care how the tracklist is (well, maybe I do :wink:) So long as it opens with a heavily interesting/dramatic, very atmospheric crescendo of a song. (only love?) Then straight into an up to beat anthem, perhaps...get your boots on. End with a very empty, longing song like how pop ended with WUDM...sounds like winter would fit in nicely there.

with very few exceptions, u2 are fairly good at naming songs. these ones all sound great, and im sure once we hear them, they will make sense

I like the idea others have posted of using both versions of NLOTH. I'd like the faster one as the first track, and the slower one as the closer. And then the same as bookends for the concerts. Of course that's subject to actually hearing them to see if that even makes sense.

I like the idea others have posted of using both versions of NLOTH. I'd like the faster one as the first track, and the slower one as the closer. And then the same as bookends for the concerts. Of course that's subject to actually hearing them to see if that even makes sense.

coldplay did the repeated track on la vida. It actually worked terrifically.

Oasis did it on Be Here Now. hmmm maybe not such a god idea :p

But seriously, I think that it will show up on the bside to the NLOTH single rather than on the album proper... maybe a bonus download or something. I can't see that if they are going for a complete and proper album that they would put the same song on twice.

Maybe Bono can whip up some new lyrics and there will be an extra song that segues nicely from NLOTH, being that it would be the same key/chords/progression...

As much as people may cringe, Blink-182 did it with Easy Target>All of This on the self-titled album, and it really really worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom