This is the best U2 album since......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the open letter from Bono he asked people to stick with it, and he is totally right

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Isn't it just unbelievably CRAZY how pointless and often bland the many discussions in the many threads we had turned out to be in the last months and how suddenly that changed? Now you don't know where to look first in the forum because there are so many new threads, so many people, so much discussion going on. Makes your head spin :lol:

Too early to say whether it is the best since anything - but I can say I am more excited on first listen than I was with NLOTH, HTDAAB and ATYCLB. What I can say is I think it is the most CONSISTENT album since Achtung Baby. The song I ranked last after 5 or 6 spins I like very very much.

After couple of listens I'd say after POP. But I'm just marginally over the awe and shock of the change in the sound compared to last 3 albums, so it might be too early to say. Currently liking The Troubles a lot!

I've been inactive on this forum for about 5yrs since NLOTH came out. I enjoyed parts of that album but it felt overall a little bit disappointing, the 360 tour was great though.

Over the past few years I've lurked the forums every now and then to read up on the new album rumours, hoping that U2 would do a complete departure from their last 3 albums. When they released Invisible, I immediately fell in love with it and felt that this was the first small taste of what's to come.

Upon listening to the new album a couple of times, I would have to say that they haven't sounded more fresh and relevant in years. No disrespect to the last 3 albums, but in comparison to this, you can really feel a fresh U2 in this - which is such a huge very welcomed departure in my view from everything in the last 14yrs.

It's hard for me to say whether it's better than any particular album, but to me this sounds like a mix of Boy, War, and Pop, with a nice modern feel to it.

Loving it so far! Thanks U2!

Well Bono said they wanted to make something up there with their very best work. The have set a high bar, and nothing will ever replace or compare with their best for various reasons. What I think they have done is hit the loftiest heights they could possibly expect at this stage of their careers and lives.

I have a love/hate relationship with NLOTH, the middle 3 are cringe worthy for me and I wonder what could have been if they had been replaced. Having said that, there were 3 or 4 tunes that immediately made an impression on me and are favorites to this day.

SOI has several positives relative to any of the last three albums:
-it feels like an album, there is a cohesion here that I did not expect given the gestation period and number of producers/engineers involved.
-the way they dropped it should not be a factor BUT this cannot be ignored, the "promise" of SOE is a big part of this as well.
-DM influence is a very positive one
-Adam is just great here

SOI negatives:
-It may come with time but I don't hear a slow burning masterpiece like MOS
-I also don't hear an immediately great track like Vertigo or Fez/Being Born, both of which were immediate hits for me

All in all, it feels like a very good first album of a double album (which it likely is). However, in the context that it would be their only release from between 2010 and 2018 for example its a good/mediocre effort to me after the first 2 listens. :reject: Mind you, I'm holding out hope that it grows on me as Zooropa did, DD & TFT in particular took a long while to really resonate with me and those two stellar songs changed my perspective.

I want to say ATYCLB but I imagine in 10 years, I'll be listening to more different songs from this album then from ATYCLB.

Its quite different and not at all instant. I find usually that albums that aren't "instant" are the best in the long run. I'm finding it quite Bowie-esq.

Sent from my D6503 using U2 Interference mobile app

Stop being such a downer, really. I think we've got it by now: Bono sucks and the album isn't great because of him.

Good grief there are people being way less positive than me. I already appear to be this forum's biggest promoter of Cedarwood Road.

But yes, Bono is the dead weight of the album.

I think the album will suffer without a hard-hitting single. There is no song to drive it on radio. They haven't had a "hit" since Vertigo and maybe they don't have it in them anymore. But at least it's consistent top to bottom and best of all....it's interesting. I'll take that at this stage of their careers.

Songs Of Innocence then Songs Of Experience then final tour and disband. It makes sense.

Sent from my D6503 using U2 Interference mobile app

I think the album will suffer without a hard-hitting single. There is no song to drive it on radio. They haven't had a "hit" since Vertigo and maybe they don't have it in them anymore. But at least it's consistent top to bottom and best of all....it's interesting. I'll take that at this stage of their careers.

Does anyone really listen to the radio anymore? They don't play rock music anyway. They just need to make a kick ass video for youtube for either Iris or California and they will be fine.

Does anyone really listen to the radio anymore? They don't play rock music anyway. They just need to make a kick ass video for youtube for either Iris or California and they will be fine.

I guess I mean a vehicle for mass appeal and wide promotion. Maybe radio is still good for that. But you could be right.

Paul McGuinness was apparently just interviewed and said the world tour starts next summer. Well, we kinda knew this but still, good to hear...

Personally, when No Line came out it felt like an album that they wrote for me.
Songs of Innocence sounds like an album they wrote for themselves.
Don't know whether that makes one better than the other.

NLOTH?

lol

Seriously, I love it, but I also loved NLOTH. I'll easily say this album is better than ATYCLB or HTDAAB, but the jury is still out.

my thoughts exactly

it's definitely not as immediate as their last three albums - nothing completely blew me away on first listen. but the more I listen the more I fall in love :heart: for that reason I don't think anyone should be allowed to professionally review the album until they've listened to it at least 10 times, lol. this is one that takes some time to sink in.

Best since Zooropa, maybe even Achtung Baby.

No first listen hyperbole, I've heard it three times now and still love it. In comparison, I disliked NLOTH the first time I listened, and have come to appreciate it more since but not by much...I couldn't care less about Pop - their worst album. I love Passengers, but there are some clunkers there and I don't return to it very often.

Zooropa is great but like Songs of Innocence it doesn't sound like U2 to me. (Not necessarily a bad thing, but it just means I'll never regard them as highly as the first seven albums.) They seem to be of about the same quality to me but perhaps a few more listens are in order. SOI doesn't have anything that touches the greatness of Stay, or even Zooropa. So probably the highs aren't as high on SOI, but I don't think the lows are as low.

Ouch. This hurts. Especially the bit about Zooropa, because it was a change it can never be held in as high a regard? Achtung Baby was a huge frickin' change. TUF before it as well, even JT. Barring the post-punk trilogy earlier U2 changed what "sounded like U2" just as much.

My first instinct was to say POP. I'm a big fan and defender of POP. But this verges on even better, at least more consistent. aaaaarrggghhh. So it may be the best since AB, but it is about even with POP for me right now.

I guess if they were looking for relevance, the way to do it was write an Adele album, so they've succeeded in that regard, but...

Comments like these sometimes make me want to quit the internet.

I'm trying to refrain, until the newness wears off to make a real review, but initial gut says since Zooropa. I have some minor issues, but honestly AB is the only album that I don't have issues with...

It's going to be a challenging album to do live. Bono may have to play more guitar, there are moments when he really has control of his falsetto which he has issue live when he gets winded, the whole band will have to do some backing vocals/along with backing tracks, and Troubles... one of the stand outs, are they going to bring her out on tour?

Suffer in what way? They just put it in the collections of 500 million people, radio singles are irrelevant here.

Back
Top Bottom