the bono with short hair theory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

manu0872

The Fly
The theory is like this, NLOTH is not doing so well because of Bono's short hair. With short hair he looks kind of regular. With long hair he is Jesus, with those The Fly glasses and jacket he is God. That is the whole difference. The other album on which Bono had short hair was Pop, that one did not do very well either.
If Robert Smith changes his hair style The Cure would disintegrate most of its identity. The archetypical Bono, the one from the JT and AB era, is a Bono with long hair, and so he's probably draining some of U2's modjo with his present hair style.
Album wise, NLOTH is much better than HTDAB, but in 2004 and 2005 Bono had long hair and wore cool bohemian clothing. A lot of the songs on HTDAB sucked, but Verigo was a huge single. NLOTH is a much better album becuase it has no filler or duds, but, Sexy Boots is very similar to Vertigo, so there was a surprise factor associated to Vertigo that sexy boots was missing. Magnificent should have been the 1st single, and bono should've stayed with his previous look, long hair. :wave:

Right, so now hair decides how well your album sells?

That's the biggest bullshit argument I've ever heard. :happy: And that says a lot since I've been around here for a while.

For what it's worth, Short hair > greasemullet.

Do you know the naked Prince theory that was going around in the 80s?

The less clothes Prince wore on the album cover - the fewer copies the album would sell!

I agree with the OP to an extent, except I don't agree that Magnificent should have been the lead single. It's a good song, but I still think it would have sounded like something the world has heard U2 do a dozen times before...... (Which is why it was such a terrible flop as the 2nd single...)

Right, so now hair decides how well your album sells?

Somewhere, Phil Collins is laughing his ass off on a giant pile of money and middle-aged women.

Just :lmao:

I love how much you've thought this theory through. I give it an A. :up:

More thought was put into this thread than the vast majority of what I read in EYKIW every day. It's no less baffling, of course.

Somewhere, Phil Collins is laughing his ass off on a giant pile of money and middle-aged women.

More thought was put into this thread than the vast majority of what I read in EYKIW every day. It's no less baffling, of course.

The theory isn't that NO ONE can sell albums without long hair; just U2.

Bono's hair was awful during HTDAAB and Vertigo tour era....not that hair should matter or sale albums....besides this tour is doing pretty well so whats the big deal?

this is the real reason Bono went short......

bad_hair_cut.jpg

Album wise, NLOTH is much better than HTDAB, but in 2004 and 2005 Bono had long hair and wore cool bohemian clothing. A lot of the songs on HTDAB sucked, but Verigo was a huge single.

Ver"t"igo wasn't an enormous single chart-wise, I think the iPod thing was what pushed it ahead.

Bono's Hutdab 'do was The Plague in hair form, anyway.

it's mind boggling how people are still saying NLOTH didn't sell well...check the fucking charts

and here I thought he was losing his hair......

I know, I know, I know....there's a whole other thread about that.

With long hair he is Jesus, with those The Fly glasses and jacket he is God.

I don't know... :hmm:

I would think if he was either one he would have made himself (or his kid) tall enough that he wouldn't have to wear those fucking ugly-assed platform shoes.

I really think it doesn't matter with hairstyles because a lot of the people this day and age buying albums don't even realize or care to remember what a good looking guy Bono was years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom