The "Apple Stunt"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sure the Crapple legal dept made sure this wasn't a violation of the T's and C's we all quickly hit "accept" on without reading

oh i'm sure. Everyone is like I DIDN'T AGREE TO THIS!!! umm...did any single one of you actually read the terms of service? yeah, didn't think so. i bet all iTunes users have unknowingly agreed to a lot worse than a free U2 album.

kinda want to read the TOS now just to see...:hmm:

Their back catalog dominating iTunes worldwide is what is really stunning. It warmed my heart to see October in the top 100.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using U2 Interference mobile app

Yeah thats only in 3 days if its the figure from yesterday. Is that worldwide?

Yes worldwide - after 3 days so completely eclipses any albums first week sales. Expect that number to rise significantly after the weekend and then the Apple adverts will kick in - absolutely brilliant !!!!

One of my closest friends doesn't like U2 at all, but saw the keynote, the commercial and downloaded the album. He says 'The Miracle' is fantastic, and that the album was free so he gave it a shot.

To me, that's a true indication of how successful this stunt has been.

One of my closest friends doesn't like U2 at all, but saw the keynote, the commercial and downloaded the album. He says 'The Miracle' is fantastic, and that the album was free so he gave it a shot.

To me, that's a true indication of how successful this stunt has been.

Yep - for all the bluster of the uber-negative - they have won so many people in the middle ground.

Their back catalog dominating iTunes worldwide is what is really stunning. It warmed my heart to see October in the top 100.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using U2 Interference mobile app

:up:

Win! The complainers need to get a life, seriously. Is there any greater gift than music?

There's as many people saying it's a success just as much as there are people who are saying it has backfired on them. At least it feels like it.

I'm very happy with what they've done here. Great job!

All the bitching and moaning people on my facebook feed have been receiving this.....

33b32b25e3e579547829796a9fbfaec2.jpg

Just saw on my Facebook feed - stereogum posted a thing about Tyler the Creator saying Fuck Bono, and tweeting that the U2 album was like waking up with herpes.

Stereogum also destroyed the album in their review.
Anyway. There were 60 comments and 95% were either trashin Tyler, stereogum, or supporting U2.

The tides are a turnin.

My 13 year old niece (sister's husband's neice, child) and Mom came over today and she was telling me about seeing U2 on her iPhone. Her Mom is a big country music fax and haven't downloaded it yet. She didn't know I was such a big fan. She has seen my fb pic of the band but didn't know who they were. She downloaded it and ask her Mom who U2 are and did she download it, also. The point is, my niece love many of the songs and is still getting into it. This is what U2 was trying to achieve along with interest in their back catalog. I'm going to show her some of the live dvd's and let her know about some of the best you tube videos. U2 have achieved an unprecedented victory. :up:

My 13 year old niece (sister's husband's neice, child) and Mom came over today and she was telling me about seeing U2 on her iPhone. Her Mom is a big country music fax and haven't downloaded it yet. She didn't know I was such a big fan. She has seen my fb pic of the band but didn't know who they were. She downloaded it and ask her Mom who U2 are and did she download it, also. The point is, my niece love many of the songs and is still getting into it. This is what U2 was trying to achieve along with interest in their back catalog. I'm going to show her some of the live dvd's and let her know about some of the best you tube videos. U2 have achieved an unprecedented victory. :up:

Cool!

My opinion on things you should show:

Videos

1) Streets from Rattle and Hum.....blew me away
2) With or Without You Rattle and Hum....best live recording Ive seen of any song
3) Bad from Live Aid
4) Zoo Station (including opening), The Fly and Even Better Than from ZooTV live from Sydney
5) Streets live in Boston (my personal favorite from concerts Ive been to)
6)Streets from 360 Rose Bowl and to answer your question, there can never be too many times you show someone streets live ;)
7) EBTTRT from You tube (Miami and St Louis have good versions)
8) Walk On from the Grammys
9) Streets from the Super Bowl (see my comment in #6)

Have fun.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Cool!

My opinion on things you should show:

Videos

1) Streets from Rattle and Hum.....blew me away
2) With or Without You Rattle and Hum....best live recording Ive seen of any song
3) Bad from Live Aid
4) Zoo Station (including opening), The Fly and Even Better Than from ZooTV live from Sydney
5) Streets live in Boston (my personal favorite from concerts Ive been to)
6)Streets from 360 Rose Bowl and to answer your question, there can never be too many times you show someone streets live ;)
7) EBTTRT from You tube (Miami and St Louis have good versions)
8) Walk On from the Grammys
9) Streets from the Super Bowl (see my comment in #6)

Have fun.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

My girlfriend suddenly had an epiphany of "OMG U2 is cool" once we watched Under A Blood Red Sky. IDK if it'd work for 13 year old, but hey, they do look really cool during the War Tour.

Do we know if the faux outrage is so strong as to have people cancel itunes accounts, or is just a TWITter phenomenon ?

U2's reign on the iTunes charts is slowly coming to an end.
Worldwide iTunes Performance

U.S.

18. The Joshua Tree
31. U218 Singles
34. Achtung Baby
38. U218 Singles
47. War
48. Rattle and Hum
52. The Unforgettable Fire
54. All That You Can't Leave Behind
62. Boy
63. Under a Blood Red Sky
71. The Best of 1980-1990
82. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
90. Live from Paris
102. Zooropa
107. October
113. No Line On the Horizon
119. Achtung Baby
121. The Joshua Tree
154. Pop
180. The Unforgettable Fire

Pretty sure U2 and Oseary knew what they were doing.

They figured they would initially take a little bit of a hit but ultimately the long-term yield was totally worth it.

Also, if a 14 year old kid somewhere on the planet, all of sudden discovers U2, like what he/she hears & decides to pick a guitar or form a band because of it...need I say more.

U2's reign on the iTunes charts is slowly coming to an end.
Worldwide iTunes Performance

They are still near double the next artist in sales and something to keep in mind....they are doing this with NO NEW MATERIAL included in those sales numbers. Those are 100% back catalog sales. Most/all of the artists below them have new material that is driving their sales numbers.

Wait until the Billboard 200 comes out. I'm almost positive that catalog albums can now chart since MJs death caused them to make a change.

I see U218, Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree hitting the top 100 and maybe top 50.

War, UF, Bomb, Boy, Rattle and Hum in the top 200!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

If a 14 year old kid somewhere on the planet, all of sudden discovers U2, like what he/she hears & decides to pick a guitar or form a band because of it...need I say more.

someone is going to have their musical awakening listening to The Miracle (of Joey Ramone), which is pretty fuckin meta.

These choice tweets from Who is U2? show exactly why U2 did what they did:

I have no clue who U2 is but they’re actually pretty good and it was free so

Them niggas RAW they spit hot fiyah “@JASSYSpeaks: Who the hell is U2 ”

Three questions. Who is U2, why are they on my phone, and why are they so good for free music? #U2iPhone

WHO THE FUCK IS U2 CAUSE IM LISTENING TO THEIR SONG THE MIRACLE RIGHT NOW AND IM FUCKING DIGGING IT

Don't know who @U2 is but they album is nice .

IDK WHO TF THESE NIGGAS U2 IS BUT HELL IM ROCKIN WID EM

Who is U2 they are smooth

you think any of these people would have heard the new U2 album if it hadn't have shown up in their iTunes? And now they could become fans. sure, the angry might be a lot more vocal, but this makes it worth it imo.

Back
Top Bottom