Text on the album cover after all?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anyone has these fonts? U2 is Subito but I can't figure out what the other one is...

:rolleyes: Wow, you are really hung up on this non issue aren't you?

They have probably already started printing, and there is no "discovery" that it's been used before, I'm 95% sure they knew in advance. When buying the rights to the artwork, I'm pretty sure this was discussed...

Hey, I'm just trying to discuss the issue here! :p No reason for you to put me down!
I also discuss other U2-related issues, including how AWESOME Get on Your Boots is! Chill! You seem more hung up than I am!!! :applaud:

It looks like U2 HAS changed the artwork. It's entirely your opinion that they already knew the image had been used before based on no evidence WHATSOEVER! And the change would seem to suggest something happened.

I can tell you, from my experience in a DVD production department that it isn't unusual AT ALL for changes to come after samples have been manufactured. This is a minor change, assuming the new images are a genuine change, and it seems to me most likely that it is a change made in reaction to the story getting out that the image has already been an album cover. the time-line would suggest this is not improbable!

But, unlike you, I don't make any claims to knowledge of the whys and whats they're doing, just saying what makes sense to me! :wave:

It looks like U2 HAS changed the artwork.

I'm still not sure why you think this. Even the person who originally started this thread doesn't believe the text is part of the cover. Is there any evidence outside of the images posted by amazon and hmv?

I'm still not sure why you think this. Even the person who originally started this thread doesn't believe the text is part of the cover. Is there any evidence outside of the images posted by amazon and hmv?

No, there isn't, as far as I'm aware. But that's not nothing! Amazon changed the picture to this. They had the other cover yesterday.

No, there isn't, as far as I'm aware. But that's not nothing! Amazon changed the picture to this. They had the other cover yesterday.

Actually, Amazon.com currently has both pictures if you click on the box set link (Amazon.com: No Line On The Horizon [Box Set] [Limited Edition] [CD/Poster/Book/DVD]: U2: Music). And for the other variations, the picture they have has the text in the same panel as the rest of the Amazon page background, entirely out of the frame of the rest of the cover itself: Amazon.com: No Line On The Horizon: U2: Music

All of that is actually even more convincing to me that the cover itself doesn't have the text on it.

But the question isn't just whether the words appear below the picture... there are also all of those lines on the picture. If this isn't a change to the artwork, why would they do that? I don't know. I guess we'll learn more soon. maybe just a mistake? I don't know....

The text will probably be on a clear plastic sleeve.

Look at the pic of the NLOTH box set. It appears that the physical digipack has actually been made. Sicy posted it on page 11 of the thread on the box set.

Seriously doubt the text is on the cover

The text will probably be on a clear plastic sleeve.

Look at the pic of the NLOTH box set. It appears that the physical digipack has actually been made. Sicy posted it on page 11 of the thread on the box set.

Seriously doubt the text is on the cover

I posted it in this thread too.

I hate digipacks with every fiber of my being, but if it features Linear, I have no choice. It's the most financially responsible.

I don't mind the font (except for the filled in O's), but I really don't like the spacing thing.

ThEn AgAiN, iT cOuLd Be WoRsE.

Indeed. They could have gone in a Radiohead-ish direction with it.

S_E

X

Y_B_O

O T S

i dont think the text will be on the actual cover. i believe the cover on u2.com is the one we'll see. but these are just my opinions...

i dont think the text will be on the actual cover. i believe the cover on u2.com is the one we'll see. but these are just my opinions...

No, no, no, I think these are just the facts, not just your opinions. :wink:

Hey, I'm just trying to discuss the issue here! :p No reason for you to put me down!
I also discuss other U2-related issues, including how AWESOME Get on Your Boots is! Chill! You seem more hung up than I am!!! :applaud:

It looks like U2 HAS changed the artwork. It's entirely your opinion that they already knew the image had been used before based on no evidence WHATSOEVER! And the change would seem to suggest something happened.

I can tell you, from my experience in a DVD production department that it isn't unusual AT ALL for changes to come after samples have been manufactured. This is a minor change, assuming the new images are a genuine change, and it seems to me most likely that it is a change made in reaction to the story getting out that the image has already been an album cover. the time-line would suggest this is not improbable!

But, unlike you, I don't make any claims to knowledge of the whys and whats they're doing, just saying what makes sense to me! :wave:

Not putting you down, you just seem pretty hung up on it, that's all.

There's no evidence that U2 has changed the artwork, even if this is the album cover, the artwork really has changed.

I'm basing my opinion that U2 had prior knowledge that this other cover exists because on my experience with selling rights of an image. Many contracts come with verbage that would not allow the selling of same image to "competitors" and to release information on prior rights. In other words, if U2 had a decent contract, which I think they would, they would have known of this prior cover.

It is just a hunch, but it's a hunch with some logic behind it.

Not putting you down, you just seem pretty hung up on it, that's all.

There's no evidence that U2 has changed the artwork, even if this is the album cover, the artwork really has changed.

I'm basing my opinion that U2 had prior knowledge that this other cover exists because on my experience with selling rights of an image. Many contracts come with verbage that would not allow the selling of same image to "competitors" and to release information on prior rights. In other words, if U2 had a decent contract, which I think they would, they would have known of this prior cover.

It is just a hunch, but it's a hunch with some logic behind it.

Crikey! I can go on for a thousand posts about how awesome I think everything they ever do is, and I post one or two complaining about a cover (which I even said I hoped I'd like more in person) and I get run out of town!!!!

OF COURSE you were attacking me personally when you couldn't logically crush my argument! You're even doing it now!
I don't know what they did or did not know about the image having been used. Yes they SHOULD have been informed, but there's a logical leap to assume that they were. Yes, EVEN in business mistakes get made!

I've really just said three things:
#1 I don't think it makes much sense to have a picture of a horizon featuring a giant black line on the horizon when you title the album; "No Line on The Horizon." (But I didn't make a big deal when that was the only problem I had with the cover.)

#2 It doesn't make sense for U2 to use a cover which has already been the cover for someone else's album.

#3 That IF the changed image on Amazon means they decided to change the album cover in the last 24 hours, it probably has something to do with discovering that the image has been used already, so they likely personalized it.

None of this is crazy, or hung-up or weird of me. These are reasonable opinions for anyone to hold. You're practicing the lowest form of debate by suggesting that they are otherwise.

Debate my points if you want, but when I admit that my opinions are only opinions, rather than facts, it would be nice of you to not then pretend your opinions are facts. And, don't attack me; you may indeed find people on this board who love U2 as much as I do, but I guarantee you'll never meet anyone who loves them more!!!!!

IF U2 are concerned about that image having been used before, they should just chose another image and NOT just put text on there to change it. That doesn't change the fact that it is the same image.

About the horizon: That doesn't bother me, I don't expect to have a cover that says exactly the same than the album title. The "line on the horizon" is a metaphorical thing after all. And there are still the two bars that will add an optical effect to it. Btw, I think the equal sign (or whatever it is) is already a modification of the actual picture, so they don't need any text sitting there.

Yeah, and it's not like them to use an image that wasn't made for them in the first place! There was no danger of them finding out any of the other album covers had already been used! LOL!

Back
Top Bottom