Songs of _________________; New album discussion #7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny how people are angry about a possible delay to an album that hasn't been announced yet.

You basically summed up this whole board. Would be great to get a reimagined album of songs this year, atleast digital, vinyl maybe next year and a proper new album and tour next, they’ve had enough time for sure over the last couple years.

You basically summed up this whole board. Would be great to get a reimagined album of songs this year, atleast digital, vinyl maybe next year and a proper new album and tour next, they’ve had enough time for sure over the last couple years.
People still won't be happy I'm afraid,it's just endless puns on here nowadays!

Some puns are better than others.[emoji41]

Same. We get it Bono. You had a not so great relationship with your da, your mom sadly passed away at a young age, and you kind of can’t stand yourself. Can we move on yet?

It's ridiculous to think that someone of Bono's fame and stature isn't going to release an autobiography. If not now, when? There's so much crap out there. There is no ghost writer and what we've seen so far has been very engaging and reminded me why I really grew to like and relate to the guy in the first place.

I don't know what more people expected from the U2 of the last decade or so. They finished up the highest grossing tour in history to that point (360) wrote a very cohesive, compelling and energetic album (SOI). They then came back from the Apple fiasco/bike accident to crush a tour in 2015. They then had a very successful JT 30 tour that won them praise and never went through the motions. SOE, (a flawed album that almost everyone agrees had tremendous highs) another amazing tour (especially in Europe) then an Australian/Asian leg of JT.

That brings us to COVID. Since ability to tour was demonstrably up in the air until this past Spring, none of this is a surprise or anything that should be held against them. They weren't going to tour without a new album anyways, and they weren't going to finish an album in 2020, release it and likely not be able to tour.

We can all criticize what they've released and choices they've made. I'm plenty critical. But it blows my mind when people criticize their rate of output.

They've been about as prolific as possible since the release of "Ordinary Love."

The only break in action that both felt excessive to me and very likely made the quality of work suffer was the time between the end of the Vertigo Tour and NLOTH.

Last edited:
http://https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/bono/surrender-bono/

Looks like we got an early review from Kirkus. Appears to be mostly positive.

It would seem those hoping for Bono to tell all, and dish the dirt on the band are going to be very disappointed. Not surprised, and even though some will hee and haw, I think it's the respectable and classy thing to stay buttoned up about some stuff. It makes sense to keep it about himself and not the band - even if it is much to the chagrin of some. Still, I am very eager to read what he has to say about Pop and the iTunes debacle, since the review says Bono addresses them.

All in all, I still can't wait to read this.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/bono/surrender-bono/

Looks like we got an early review from Kirkus. Appears to be mostly positive.

It would seem those hoping for Bono to tell all, and dish the dirt on the band are going to be very disappointed. Not surprised, and even though some will hee and haw, I think it's the respectable and classy thing to stay buttoned up about some stuff. It makes sense to keep it about himself and not the band - even if it is much to the chagrin of some. Still, I am very eager to read what he has to say about Pop and the iTunes debacle, since the review says Bono addresses them.

All in all, I still can't wait to read this.
I feel that there isn't really a lot of dirt on the band, other than perhaps Adam.

I feel that there isn't really a lot of dirt on the band, other than perhaps Adam.

There's certainly a healthy amount of rock n roll shenanigans that could be shared about the band, but he wouldn't share anything that embarrassed himself, his family or his bandmates. I'd be shocked if he doesn't have some stories of the "and by 3am we'd all done several 8 balls" variety from hanging out with Bobby Gillespie and Shane McGowan, or the Gallaghers, or....well, name your hedonistic (alternative) rock star of the 80s and 90s.

There's certainly a healthy amount of rock n roll shenanigans that could be shared about the band, but he wouldn't share anything that embarrassed himself, his family or his bandmates. I'd be shocked if he doesn't have some stories of the "and by 3am we'd all done several 8 balls" variety from hanging out with Bobby Gillespie and Shane McGowan, or the Gallaghers, or....well, name your hedonistic (alternative) rock star of the 80s and 90s.

I seem to recall hearing a story taking place sometime in the 90's about Edge being seen doing coke with a bunch of strippers. Could've had a bit of a wild streak between his divorce and beginning his relationship with Morleigh. Or it could all be false.

This band is so protective of the narrative around their legacy - there’s no way Bono will say anything about others in the band that we haven’t already read or heard to this point. Or at least, nothing particularly salacious

He may reveal details about himself that are new, though…

The only Edge drug story I was aware of was his early 90s experiments with LSD (or maybe it was mushrooms; some kind of psychedelic).

Edge was mushrooms - I can’t remember where it was, but he or Bono once told a story about Edge on mushrooms thinking he’d unlocked the secrets of the universe and they listened to a tape recording of him the next day.

Edge was mushrooms - I can’t remember where it was, but he or Bono once told a story about Edge on mushrooms thinking he’d unlocked the secrets of the universe and they listened to a tape recording of him the next day.

This was a story, presented as possibly true, in “U2 At the End of the World.”

I’m sure the band has done more scandalous things than most of us, but far less than virtually all of their peers. All the intact marriages and bounties of children, while not totally incompatible with drug issues, suggest men who are pretty happy with their lives.

I’m sure the band has done more scandalous things than most of us, but far less than virtually all of their peers. All the intact marriages and bounties of children, while not totally incompatible with drug issues, suggest men who are pretty happy with their lives.

I could be misremembering, but I’m sure I’ve heard one of them actually talking about it in an interview.

I remember Larry saying somewhere they all certainly had “skeletons in their closet” and they’re fortunate to have kept things under control or something along those lines.

The biggest tea would probably be if Bono was ever unfaithful to Ali since they were married (and if he fathered a bastard son himself just like da).

Last edited:

I love that book and I think it gives a great view of a band at their absolute peak and all the craziness that goes-on on a world tour when you're that big. Its not exactly "warts and all", but its pretty candid by U2's standards.

As far as rock bands go - hell, as far as most people go - this band is pretty straight laced.

There’s been an attempt since the early 90s to rebrand themselves as “rock stars” in the more traditional sense of the phrase and so they’ll occasionally allude to some hedonism but, in reality, it’s nothing more than late nights drinking, possibly with *other* people doing drugs.

Adam, of course, is the exception - though when Adam went through his troubles in the early 90s, it was made clear that the other three didn’t indulge the way he did.

Bono, Larry, and Edge are a bit more uptight. Bono might enjoy being around that element, but only to loosen up his own image as a do-gooder. They’re ‘nice boys’ and I don’t say that as an insult, it’s just what they are.

Last edited:
There was a post on here years ago, I want to say around the ATYCLB album / tour days, where a poster claimed he went to a after party - club in after U2 Popmart concert and U2 showed up. They got a private booth area and proceeded to snort a shit ton of cocaine and maybe there were strippers there too.

It caused quite a bit of drama for some posters, claiming their view and opinion of the band has been soiled.

I think for rock bands, U2 is pretty clean. Part of me wants to believe they've all been faithful to their wives, and never really harmed anyone. Maybe their faith created such a strong foundation that it kept them grounded.

In then end they're all human with the same cravings and longings as the rest of us.

Now if Edge could come up with a good riff again that'd be great. Maybe take more shrooms

Bono has written enough about the challenges of long-term fidelity that I don’t think we should get to starry-eyed about the realities of what it’s like being married to the biggest rock star since 1980. That said, I don’t think it’s comparable to their peers.

I did once read a blind item on a gossip website (Deuxmoi) that sure sounded like Bono … but impossible to know if it was. It was both scandalous-ish, but also warm and kind of sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom