SOE promo tour/promo activities

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It doesn't really seem to fit the song, and to me comes across as forced in. If I were told that only one part of the four songs we currently know had been revised in light of Trump's election, I would pick that verse without hesitation. It doesn't gel with the first verse, the chorus, or the stated theme of a letter to Bono's daughters (I've read a couple of posts shoehorning it in to that theme, but it's still ineffective).

I also just really dislike it even if it did fit. Slaves looking for someone to lead them? Master looking for someone to need him? I can't quite explain it but those lines rub me the wrong way. And, of course, the Lincoln's ghost thing is clumsy.
Good points. The Lincolns ghost thing is just odd. That 2nd verse did sound jarring the first few listens, but I think I've gotten used to it. A lot of it does come down to subtlety, IMO. Whereas a lot of u2 lyrics in the 80s and 90s were more abstract and left me filling in the gaps and finding meaning, modern u2 always seems to need to explain lyrics, which I dislike because it becomes harder for me to relate to my life. If that makes sense. It would be nice if u2 would just let the songs have an aire of mystery rather than try to constantly explain the lyrical idea.

Good points. The Lincolns ghost thing is just odd. That 2nd verse did sound jarring the first few listens, but I think I've gotten used to it. A lot of it does come down to subtlety, IMO. Whereas a lot of u2 lyrics in the 80s and 90s were more abstract and left me filling in the gaps and finding meaning, modern u2 always seems to need to explain lyrics, which I dislike because it becomes harder for me to relate to my life. If that makes sense. It would be nice if u2 would just let the songs have an aire of mystery rather than try to constantly explain the lyrical idea.

Yeah, I agree with most of this. I find my favourite U2 songs - or my favourites in general - are more abstract songs around which I've constructed my own meaning. What the hell does A Sort of Homecoming mean exactly? Who knows? And who cares? There is so much in the lyrical imagery that we could spend a whole thread trying to unpack it and there would still be plenty of people with their own interpretations and meanings. GOOYOW spells out it far too much and limits how you can read it.

The one thing where we diverge is getting used to the second verse. The first time, I kind of shrugged - we knew that Lincoln's ghost was coming, thanks to that Mexico film shoot clip, so I rolled with it. But each time it sticks out to me more and more. I wonder why it's there. I wonder what it's meant to do with the rest of the song. And most of all I wonder why Bono thought it was a good idea to suggest slaves want somebody to lead them, in any context whatsoever, even if that is by Lincoln's ghost. And, if this is a song to his daughters, why for the love of god is Lincoln's ghost telling them to get out of their own way? Bono might spell out the theme too much in both verses, but the problem is that they seem to be two very different themes that feel really muddled when shoved together.

It's a shame because otherwise I'd not be particularly fussed by the song. I'd pick it to be another Miracle Drug - a fairly OK song that, if I caught it on the current tour, I'd appreciate hearing live but wouldn't miss much if it didn't endure in the setlist.

Late in reviewing but me and MatejU2 went to the show in Trafalgar Square thanks to the generosity of macawaca! Cheers once more!

Shame about the usual static London crowd - many were clearing muttering negative comments about the band whilst waiting for them, but they soon shut up once they came onstage. Really enjoyed the gig overall and Get Out sounded pretty solid - the first time anyway, not sure how this video is going to look. Maybe they'll be able to do some CGI on the crowd and make them less lifeless!

Great to see them in such an iconic and familiar place - literally a 20 minute bus ride from my front door :wave:

Late in reviewing but me and MatejU2 went to the show in Trafalgar Square thanks to the generosity of macawaca! Cheers once more!

Shame about the usual static London crowd - many were clearing muttering negative comments about the band whilst waiting for them, but they soon shut up once they came onstage. Really enjoyed the gig overall and Get Out sounded pretty solid - the first time anyway, not sure how this video is going to look. Maybe they'll be able to do some CGI on the crowd and make them less lifeless!

Great to see them in such an iconic and familiar place - literally a 20 minute bus ride from my front door :wave:

Glad to hear you got in mate, did they check id's for the ticket ?

Why do the slaves have no agency and need someone to lead them? Why can't they be leaders?

I don't get the sense of finding a leader from among themselves in the lyric, since it's immediately followed by the master wanting someone to need him.

But this is thinking too deeply about what is really a terrible verse.

Why do the slaves have no agency and need someone to lead them? Why can't they be leaders?

Well, if he is talking about the story of Moses, it was because they had become complacent.

Now there's something philosophical to chew on: how does this relate to our lives today? What are we slaves to that we are complacent about? :hmm:

I need to hear the rest of this album.

Last edited:
Well, if he is talking about the story of Moses, it was because they had become complacent.

Now there's something philosophical to chew on: how does this relate to our lives today? What are we slaves to that we are complacent about? :hmm:

I need to hear the rest of this album.
But then this is preceded by the face of liberty getting a smack in the mouth. Which wasn't in moses stories when I was a wee bairn.

I think the slaves / leader lyric really has to be about America (Bono’s one true love?!) and Brexit. The ‘master’ must surely be Trump, looking for someone to need him; and the slaves are the workers - us, slaves to industry/government. One cannot exist without the other. Tongue in cheek and very simplistic but that’s how I see it.

I think the slaves / leader lyric really has to be about America (Bono’s one true love?!) and Brexit. The ‘master’ must surely be Trump, looking for someone to need him; and the slaves are the workers - us, slaves to industry/government. One cannot exist without the other. Tongue in cheek and very simplistic but that’s how I see it.

Exactly how I see it aswell

That’s exactly how I’ve always seen it. Lord knows, Trump is one of the needier people on the planet. I actually like those lines.

It’s the “smack in the mouth” line that I don’t like.

Why do he fuck doesn't he just get glaucoma surgery and such the glasses altogether? He's got to know they play a role in people hating hin

Why do he fuck doesn't he just get glaucoma surgery and such the glasses altogether? He's got to know they play a role in people hating hin

If it was me, and my fucking eyewear played a role in people hating me, I’d wear the most ridiculous thing I could find.

Seriously, if this post is serious, I don’t even know what to say about your neuroses. You must be a pleasant person to be around in real life.

I could write an essay on his wearing of sunglasses but I don't have the time. I always defended it and thought it said a lot more about the person disparaging him for wearing them. However, the granny glasses look so bad (and are obviously a horrible fit for his face) that they are nearly indefensible.

I think Bono needs such things to feel like a rock star. It's no secret that he loves John Lennon so maybe that's what he needs right now due to all the political unrest in the world.

He's always been, as Ali put it, an "experimental character"...

I will say that polarization usually equates to visibility so the division is useful in that way, IMO.

My god this forum needs to calm down about the bloody glasses.

Back
Top Bottom