So Whats Wrong With NLOTH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Q: What's wrong with No Line On The Horizon?

A: It's not Linear.

---

I watched Linear again last night, and also listened to the tracklist as an album. Keep the NLOTH mixes of the songs (especially Cedars and Breathe) and use the Linear tracklisting and you've got a better album I reckon.

IGCIIDGCT on it's own is a good song, but it's toxic within NLOTH. Completely out of place.

Kinda frustrates me a bit, the fact that I had to wait an extra couple of months for it's release so they could make the album worse.

Just my opinion though...

No. I like Linear, but the tracklist in the movie does nothing for me. It's more random than anything else. I'm fine with the album's tracklist as it is. For me, it's one of the most coherent albums they've done, I don't feel the need to change the trackorder while listening. For me, Crazy Tonight alone is not a good song, but it's okay in the context of the album.

The problem with Linear is Unknown Caller which is the continuation of MOS is at the start of the album while Moment of Surrender is last

It seems to me NLOTH is being more attacked than HTDAAB was when it was first released. I loved HTDAAB immediately, but after a few years I soured on it a bit (but still think it is a GREAT record that I love). That seems to be the case with HTDAAB--people LOVED it at first and the luster wore of after a while.

With NLOTH, it seems it has gone over poorly from the start. Even on this board there seems to be more negativity than with HTDAAB (at least at first).

I do like NLOTH, but it is my least favorite U2 record, and it has birthed the first two U2 songs I have ever LOATHED (SUC and Crazy). I really feel this will go down as one of their most disappointing releases according to the fans. Yes it has many fans on this board, but it seems more 50/50 which is a pretty bad showing for diehards. And I do not know any non-diehard who likes the record. I basically stopped listening to it after the first few weeks--a first for me with a new U2 record.

NLOTH - Probably the best song with the freshest sounds (should have been the 1st single)
Magnificent - Classic U2 sound. Great song, but seems predictable--and a horrible title and lyric. I connect more to the sound than the lyrics--and naming a song "Magnificent" seems silly.
MOS - Great atmosphere, good lyrics. Starts so powerfully...GOES NOWHERE! Where's the crescendo!?!??!?!? It's as if they wrote SYCMIYO without "Can You Hear me when I sing..your the reason I sing..." Reminds me of "So Cruel."
UC - Really like it a lot--guitar is a bit of a rip from Walk On though
Crazy - The worst song they've ever done--Britney lyrics--syrupy BS music. Please do not compare to ATYCLB or HTDAAB songs--this one just sucks.
Boots - Sexy Boots, the worst lyric ever in a U2 song--like the music--seems a bit calculated--loved the song at first--bit of a yawner now--song melts on contact--not lasting
SUC - SUCKS. This isn't Zeppelin--it's U2 doing LAME tired Rolling Stones/Bob Seger crap.
Fez/BB - Love BB, but the song seems unfinished, and the Fez BS at the beginning is meaningless, stupid overproduction. BB has such a great sound though, but it's not a GREAT song. Would love to have seen this fleshed out.
White As Snow - I LOVE LANOIS. This song seems to belong on a Lanois record--not U2. Nice, but boring b-sidey soundtrack material.
Breathe - Should be a single, IMO. Love it. Unlike Crazy and SUC, it is catchy BIG U2 done right.
Cedars - Love it--atmospheric--haunting. I see it as the third in a trilogy: Wanderer; Wake Up Dead Man; Cedars.

This is the 1st U2 record I have not LOVED--It just doesn't inspire me--especially in the lyrics--they seem meaningless and detached for the most part with pop culture references scotch taped together. I also do not like how the intros are so overdone to create the illusion that they are breaking new ground (and sound), when they really are not other than NLOTH and BB, IMO.--and not one of these songs, even the ones I love are in my Top 25 all time U2 songs. There are great songs on this record--BUT NO LEGIT CLASSICS.

It seems to me NLOTH is being more attacked than HTDAAB was when it was first released. I loved HTDAAB immediately, but after a few years I soured on it a bit (but still think it is a GREAT record that I love). That seems to be the case with HTDAAB--people LOVED it at first and the luster wore of after a while.

With NLOTH, it seems it has gone over poorly from the start. Even on this board there seems to be more negativity than with HTDAAB (at least at first).
I don't agree with this at all. I don't see how this album has gone over poorly at all. There are a handful that don't like it, but that's just par for the course.

I really feel this will go down as one of their most disappointing releases according to the fans. Yes it has many fans on this board, but it seems more 50/50 which is a pretty bad showing for diehards. And I do not know any non-diehard who likes the record. I basically stopped listening to it after the first few weeks--a first for me with a new U2 record.

NLOTH - Probably the best song with the freshest sounds (should have been the 1st single)
Magnificent - Classic U2 sound. Great song, but seems predictable--and a horrible title and lyric. I Connect more to the sound than the lyrics--and naming a song "Magnificent" seems silly.
MOS - Great atmosphere, good lyrics lyrics. GOES NOWHERE! Where's the crescendo!?!??!?!? It's as if they wrote SYCMIYO without "Can You Hear me when I sing..your the reason I sing..." Reminds me of "So Cruel."
UC - Really like it a lot--guitar is a bit of a rip from Walk On though
Crazy - The worst song they've ever done--Britney lyrics--syrupy BS music. Please do not compare to ATYCLB or HTDAAB songs--this one just sucks.
Boots - Sexy Boots, the worst lyric ever in a U2 song--like the music--seems a bit calculated--loved the song at first--bit of a yawner now--song melts on contact--not lasting
SUC - SUCKS. This isn't Zeppelin--it's U2 doing LAME tired Rolling Stones/Bob Seger crap.
Fez/BB - Love BB, but the song seems unfi9nished, and the Fez BS at the beginng is meaningless, stupid overproduction. BB has such a great sound though, but it's not a GREAT song.
White As Snow - I LOVE LANOIS. This song seems to belong on a Lanois record--not U2. Nice, but boring b-sidey soundtrack material.
Breathe - Should be a single, IMO. Love it. Unlike Crazy and SUC, it is catchy BIG U2 done right.
Cedars - Love it--atmospheric--haunting. I see it as the third in a trilogy: Wanderer; Wake Up Dead Man; Cedars.

This is the 1st U2 record I have not LOVED--It just doesn't inspire me--especially in the lyrics--they seem meaningless and detached for the most part with pop culture references scotch taped together. I also do not like how the intros are so overdone to create the illusion that they are breaking new ground (and sound), when they really are not other than NLOTH and BB, IMO.

And then you really start to confuse me.

U2 haven't done songs like MOS(and the crescendo is implied, it's U2 being subtle, it's been awhile) WAS, Cedars, UC ---- they are breaking new ground for U2, it may not be as obvious as the jump from JT to AB, but there's a lot of new things going on in this album.

I do agree that SUC is pretty bad, I think it should have been replaced with a song more in the vein of MOS or NLOTH, the more adventerous side of this album, and we would have an album that was close to a classic.

I just don't hear a lot of new sounds--every song is new, so yes, there is new ground on every song--but I do not hear new sounds and territory other than NLOTH and BB--and I am not talking about production effects which are all over the record to make it seem like they are breaking new ground.

As for it going over poorly--This is fan site--I do not remember as many negative threads when HTDAAB came out. Sure there will always be negativity (it's amessage board), but it does seem more so than ever before. I was wondering if anyone agreed with that assessment in particular. Just curious--what is your favorite song on the record?

As for MOS--in my opinion, every classic U2 song must (and does) have a crescendo--MOS sets you up for it, and doesn't deliver.

There's another album still coming out related to the recent sessions so I think we should reserve judgment until then.

They wanted a big album first and now they want to release a companion collection with less expectations to satisfy the ambient crowd.

I just don't hear a lot of new sounds--every song is new, so yes, there is new ground on every song--but I do not hear new sounds and territory other than NLOTH and BB--and I am not talking about production effects which are all over the record to make it seem like they are breaking new ground.

That's a shame, because there's a lot of new things that U2 have never done before on this album. There may not be new "sounds" but do you know how rare that is to do? Most bands would kill to that just once in their career.

How come no one bashes PJ for never coming up with any new sounds? Good songs are enough for PJ, I'm always curious why they aren't enough for some U2 fans...

Just curious--what is your favorite song on the record?
MOS, hands down is my favorite, it's one of the best songs they've written since AB. NLOTH is my second fave...

Overall I don't mind the album, I like it much better than HTDAAB, but I must say that an album with such a suck-arse song as Boots which in my opinion is possibly the worst song that U2 have come out with and THEN the boys putting it out as first single is almost unforgivable... Think about that, we hadn't heard anything new from these guys for years and they put out BOOTS first??????? They could have put out any of the other 10 songs off the album and it would have been okay, but BOOTS? Holy Shite!!

How come no one bashes PJ for never coming up with any new sounds? Good songs are enough for PJ, I'm always curious why they aren't enough for some U2 fans...

I would say there are a few reasons why that is happening here. One reason is expectations are lower for the "good" bands and higher for the "classic" bands like U2. Like I have posted before, U2 could right now release a Revolution #9, a Mr. Kite, Piggies or even a Blackbird song in the exact same way the Beatles did it and people would find a way to criticize it. Saying that, I am sure there was a divided Beatles fan base when they went all Sgt. Pepper and were not singing I Wanna Hold Your Hand anymore. I think John Lennon said that in an interview once. He said something like "We've grown up, love. We're not singing I Wanna Hold Your Hand anymore." They were progressive not regressive. U2 is at a place where they can do what they want, but if it's not the same thing people are used to, those not on board will most likely not like it or get it. Referencing Boots "you don't know, and you don't get it do you?" So, I think U2 are used to that perceived 50/50 reception. There's a lot of "music" people who don't get U2. They would rather listen to a band like Bon Jovi, not that there's anything wrong with that. They feel that music speaks to their soul more than a U2 album. But come on, the expectations for a Bon Jovi album are much lower than they are with a U2 album, right? U2's whole approach is different from other bands, from their lyrics, their sound, their SETLISTS. U2 is not a surface band. At least U2's new music is talked about, whether it is loved or not. Just wait 'til people don't have U2 to either love or kick around anymore...they will be missed.

Well the album is still holding strong for me, much better lasting power than htdaab. Still don't care for SUC and Boots but all the other songs are good

i actually think the majority of the fans here are saying that they like NLOTH more than HTDAAB... personally the only songs i ever play from HTDAAB somewhat regularly are SYCMIOYO and Veritgo (fun to drum to)

NLOTH i listen to the title track, MOS, Boots (fun to drum again), Breathe, Magnificent, and sometimes Cedars.

:shrug:

I don't honestly have anything to say I greatly dislike about NLOTH. It's my favorite album by them. Yeah- I said it. I don't understand all the hate! Unknown Caller is THE best thing the band has done since the Joshua Tree. Boots is Badass on the album. Crazy Tonight is an anthem. Breathe would make Bob Dylan proud. Magnificent is the perfect title because it is!
Why all the hate? The band put their hearts into this album and it shows. I thank them for making such fantastic music that I will enjoy for the rest of my life.

That's a shame, because there's a lot of new things that U2 have never done before on this album. There may not be new "sounds" but do you know how rare that is to do? Most bands would kill to that just once in their career.

MOS, hands down is my favorite, it's one of the best songs they've written since AB. NLOTH is my second fave...

Wow--that's high praise--I do not think it comes close to most of the material on Zooropa, Pop, or ATYCLB (save Discotheque and Elevation). And I think MD, OOTS, SYCMIYO, Yahweh, Fast Cars and COBL blow it away as well. But to each his own. As far as PJ is concerned--that's what they do organic stripped down rock--it's all they've ever done. They've never done anything else--there is no expectation. U2 has always continued to evolve and remain relevant--it what makes them stand out. They have evolved on this record as they always do, but the result in my opinion seems to fall short for me. There just seems to be (for the first time IMO) a shortage of ideas and INSPIRED songwriting on this record. Where the hell are the b sides? And why were Danny and Brian (who I love) brought in to co-write? Just seems odd--Anyway, I am happy if people love the record--but I think we need to be honest and realize this will not be remembered as a classic U2 record-

one other thing--I just get the feeling MOS will not be a staple on the new tour--I think they will try it, and it's not going to work--I hope I am proved wrong as I really like the song, but I just do not think it's will play in front of 60,000-90,000+; most of which will not be diehards.

--Anyway, I am happy if people love the record--but I think we need to be honest and realize this will not be remembered as a classic U2 record-

that would be a bit of a premature statement...considering the album has only been out a little over a month. Go back and read what some people's initial reactions to UF, Achtung, Zooropa and definitely Pop were.

They have evolved on this record as they always do, but the result in my opinion seems to fall short for me. There just seems to be (for the first time IMO) a shortage of ideas and INSPIRED songwriting on this record.
To me this album sounds like a futuristic gospel album.

Where the hell are the b sides?
They haven't really done that many b-sides since Pop. The day of the single with b-sides are dead. Plus we've only seen one single, and probably another album coming out shortly so Winter and NLOTH2 may be the only "b-sides" we see.

And why were Danny and Brian (who I love) brought in to co-write? Just seems odd
To try something new, shake it up...:shrug:

--Anyway, I am happy if people love the record--but I think we need to be honest and realize this will not be remembered as a classic U2 record-
Don't do this whole my opinion is fact BS. Truth is we have no clue how this album will be remembered. There were many that wrote off Zooropa and thought it wouldn't be remembered. Throw away first single, songs they wouldn't play on tour, disjointed songs, etc etc etc...

one other thing--I just get the feeling MOS will not be a staple on the new tour--I think they will try it, and it's not going to work--I hope I am proved wrong as I really like the song, but I just do not think it's will play in front of 60,000-90,000+; most of which will not be diehards.
This may be... As I said earlier in another thread, the only way I see this being played is if they put in the implied crescendo... Subtle doesn't work in stadiums. So this may be a song that really changes live, or it may be one of those gems that never really got a proper play... we'll see.

I hear you--I am just a bit disappointed. I expect a U2 album to SOAR with greatness, and I have never been let down until this record. U2 has been a life-force for me since '87. I am not saying it is a bad record, I think they are pretty much incapable of that, but I grade them on a curve...and this album really falls short for me; the first time I have ever felt this way.

I hear you--I am just a bit disappointed. I expect a U2 album to SOAR with greatness, and I have never been let down until this record. U2 has been a life-force for me since '87. I am not saying it is a bad record, I think they are pretty much incapable of that, but I grade them on a curve...and this album really falls short for me; the first time I have ever felt this way.

maybe it will grow on you? are you going to see them in concert?

yup--GA's at the Rose Bowl--Horizon Member. I've listened to it an awful lot. My main problem is the songs lack crescendo , and do not soar in the classic U2 sense (especially lacking is the classic U2 'step up' in the 3rd act of a song). Crazy and SUC will not grow on me--I loathe them--the only U2 songs I put i that category--because it suggest to me (IMO) they may be getting "out of touch"--
Boots is fading. NLOTH, Magnificent, UC, FEZ/BB, Breathe and Cedars are my favorites, but I have listened to them a ton already, and do not see them growing anymore. None are in my Top 25, and I do like/love them a lot.

The other main reason I do not love this album is the lyrics seem so detached and uninspired (I do like NLOTH, UC, Breathe and Cedars lyrics)--I have always been blown away and left drooling by U2's music--I am not blown away by this record, and thus am disappointed--Yes, it's a high bar, but it's what I've come to expect--and while I love the songs mentioned, none of them blow me away.--and I really expect that after almost a 5 year layoff.

It is a grower, in fact now two of the biggest haters on this board and come out and said they like it now... of course if you've already stopped listening to it that won't happen.

What are your top 10, the ones that really blow you away?

I do still listen to the songs when they come up on my current iPod playlist, but I have ditched listening to the album which is odd for me--I usually have a U2 album on repeat for months. Here are a few off the top of my head (in no particular order) I could probably name 20-30 more that I'd put ahead of my tops on this record.

Ultraviolet
Please
SYCMIYO
OOTS
Kite
All I Want Is You
Bad
Red Hill Mining Town
The Fly
In A Little While
I'm Not Your Baby
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Stateless
When I Look At The World

That's interesting, given that list I would have thought you'd love this album.

They aren't the obvious hits which this album is made up of more subtle tunes.

Some of the moodier ones INYB, Ground and Stateless would make me think you like the moodier tones of this album.

Bad and Stateless would make me think you'd like MOS, Bad has a vocal crescendo but nothing bombastic and Stateless doesn't really crescendo at all, so that criticism baffles me.

Wow, I'm looking at that list and I'm shocked.

I was expecting the obvious hits or a heavy 90's list and that's why you didn't like this album, but you truly have me baffled.

:shrug:

It's not that I do not like it--it's that it falls short for me--and I rank it behind the records of the modern U2 era (AB, Zooropa, POP, ATYCLB and HTDAAB; not in that order). I do like MOS a lot, in fact I love it, but it really disappoints me in the fact that it goes nowhere. I really wish this album blew me away. I really really do--but it doesn't. I do look forward to material next year, and hopefully U2 will begin to release more music, more frequently and not hedge their bets with stuff like SUC and Crazy which won't help album sales or radio play anyway--IMO these songs put nails in their coffin as far as them being the best band in the world.--just an opinion--

P.S. I really do hope they work with MOS live--it has the potential to be pretty amazing.

Yes it has many fans on this board, but it seems more 50/50 which is a pretty bad showing for diehards. And I do not know any non-diehard who likes the record. I basically stopped listening to it after the first few weeks--a first for me with a new U2 record.

I think its a lot better than 50-50. And actually, it is harder to impress diehards collectively than casual fans. Diehards have expectations of the past, and that is why we see comments like in the thread someone posted about the initial reaction to the fly. Diehards HATED it. Turned out well for them, didn't it?

It sounds more like YOU personally don't like the record much so you are thinking it means that the record isn't good, or isn't well recieved. I have MANY friends who have been bored to tears with my U2 rantings that love the album. One of my friends, who listens exclusively to hip-hop said Breathe was the greatest song ever written. Other's think it is one of the most consistant and inclusive records for 20 years.

No it just seems to me there are a bunch of negative posts about the album--that's all I was saying--and really was curious how it stacked up against HTDDAB negativity. Pretty much as soon as the album leaked, there was the "I don't like the new album" thread--I do not remember that kind of immediate push-back from HTDAAB. That's all--I like the album--I am just disappointed for the first time as a U2 fan. No projection at all--am happy so many love the album (although of about 10 of my friends who are fans ranging from casual to diehard--they all have a mixed reaction and belieive it is lackluster for U2). Reaction seems more mixed to me, but I am happy to be wrong about that. Being blown away by U2 music brings great joy--I am just not blown away by any of these songs--it is a good record overall.

I think the comparisons to AB/Fly era do not hold any water at all. That is perhaps the greatest alt record ever made--and The Fly blew me away immediately. That record and tour took the world by storm--I am sure people reacted to it because it was so different. This album is by no means a departure-it is a continuation. I'd bet any amount of money this record will not be held in the same regard as AB by anyone other than diehards--

Now that my initial hype of the album is over, I can be a little more critical.

The biggest problems?
Get On Your Boots (I'm not a lyrics guy, but the lyrics ruin this song. Way too much of a throw away song that should have been a B-Side at best.)

The following are only OK songs: Unknown Caller (kind of boring), Moment of Surrender (yawn), White As Snow (usually a skip), Fez-Being Born (doesn't suit album).

No it just seems to me there are a bunch of negative posts about the album--that's all I was saying--and really was curious how it stacked up against HTDDAB negativity. Pretty much as soon as the album leaked, there was the "I don't like the new album" thread--I do not remember that kind of immediate push-back from HTDAAB. That's all--I like the album--I am just disappointed for the first time as a U2 fan. No projection at all--am happy so many love the album (although of about 10 of my friends who are fans ranging from casual to diehard--they all have a mixed reaction and belieive it is lackluster for U2). Reaction seems more mixed to me, but I am happy to be wrong about that. Being blown away by U2 music brings great joy--I am just not blown away by any of these songs--it is a good record overall.

There are two reasons for that. a) personal preferences, some like things, some don't... with a band that has been through so many image and sonic shifts as U2, people are bound to not like somethings. b) people were much more reserved going in to this one as some felt let down by the fact that HTDAAB was great at first, then went flat. Not many were prepared to say how much they loved NLOTH as they didn't want to look stupid later.

I think the comparisons to AB/Fly era do not hold any water at all. That is perhaps the greatest alt record ever made--and The Fly blew me away immediately. That record and tour took the world by storm--I am sure people reacted to it because it was so different. This album is by no means a departure-it is a continuation. I'd bet any amount of money this record will not be held in the same regard as AB by anyone other than diehards--

Sorry, but it does hold water. A lot of water. This new album is a departure. People were used to dad-rock U2. GOYB scared the shit out of plenty. Good on them. There were uncanny similarities between posts about the fly and GOYB. The fact that this record has been out a month and a half and has sold 2.5 million copies (more than any album this year), hasn;'t had time to sink in, and we haven't even started the tour which looks MEGA. You can't say it won't have the same effect.

Back
Top Bottom