So Whats Wrong With NLOTH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After all the hype has died down the album is still very good and among the best theyve done. U2 has to fight there fanbases naustelgia and that is much more difficult then making great music which has been done on this album.

Longevity is the enemy of objectivity.

another pointless thread that doesn't deserve even this response

Last night I went out with 4 friends. We covered all the usual topics, and then the topic of the new U2 album came up. All these friends are fairweather U2 fans. They were all on board when ATYCLB and HTDAAB were tearing up the charts, and wouldn't admit to liking U2 back in the late 90s for fear of seeming uncool. Now it seems that they are off the bandwagon since the album seems to be getting a lukewarm response.

Yes, I realize it's selling well in spite of the economy, their age, spring release vs. fall release, blah blah blah. The fact is that Boots failed. NLOTH is currently selling based on the U2 name, nothing more. Had they had a successful first single, that people actually thought was a good song, you'd see a major difference. Not just in the sales, but in the opinions of the people who have bought the album. The casual fan's perception of this album has been tainted because of "Boots". The same way people were put off from POP because of Discotheque, despite the fact that the rest of the album was much better and had much more depth than that stupid song. It's all about first impressions, and you only get to make one.

Yes, I realize it's selling well in spite of the economy, their age, spring release vs. fall release, blah blah blah. The fact is that Boots failed. NLOTH is currently selling based on the U2 name, nothing more. Had they had a successful first single, that people actually thought was a good song, you'd see a major difference. Not just in the sales, but in the opinions of the people who have bought the album. The casual fan's perception of this album has been tainted because of "Boots". The same way people were put off from POP because of Discotheque, despite the fact that the rest of the album was much better and had much more depth than that stupid song. It's all about first impressions, and you only get to make one.

I've seen the same exact thing.
They blew it with that song, and not just because of fairweather fans.

Last night I went out with 4 friends. We covered all the usual topics, and then the topic of the new U2 album came up. All these friends are fairweather U2 fans. They were all on board when ATYCLB and HTDAAB were tearing up the charts, and wouldn't admit to liking U2 back in the late 90s for fear of seeming uncool. Now it seems that they are off the bandwagon since the album seems to be getting a lukewarm response.

your argument is flawed because Discotheque is a great song.

next...

PS- And Discotheque IS brilliant- if the pop kids were too dumb to get the riddle that's their problem.

After all the hypes died down and we realise the albums not very good and flopping,whats wrong with it?

I think batfink and edgeztv2 need to get together and create a whole thread about how their opinions = fact, and then battle it out till one wins...

You're both full of it...

There are U2 fans who do not quite like the album and are a bit disappointed. I think there are two major types of fans: The conservative fans who like traditional U2 (R&H/JT/ATYCLB/HTDAAB) and the more progressive u2 fans (UF/AB/Zooropa/Pop/Passengers/NLOTH)??? I don't know. Maybe it's too simple to say this. :hmm::hmm::hmm:
But fact is: U2 have been making a lot of music and it's impossible to please all the fans. I consider me as a more 'progressive' fan but still the classic U2 pleases me... NLOTH is U2's best album to date in my opinion.:applaud::applaud:

I remember disappointment at the time HTDAAB came out that it was a 'save' and dull rock album....

However. How bigger the band the more critisicm..

There are U2 fans who do not quite like the album and are a bit disappointed. I think there are two major types of fans: The conservative fans who like traditional U2 (R&H/JT/ATYCLB/HTDAAB) and the more progressive u2 fans (UF/AB/Zooropa/Pop/Passengers/NLOTH)??? I don't know. Maybe it's too simple to say this. :hmm::hmm::hmm:
But fact is: U2 have been making a lot of music and it's impossible to please all the fans. I consider me as a more 'progressive' fan but still the classic U2 pleases me... NLOTH is U2's best album to date in my opinion.:applaud::applaud:

I remember disappointment at the time HTDAAB came out that it was a 'save' and dull rock album....

What group do I fall under? My fav's are UF, JT, RH, AB....
Zooropa and POP get honorable mention.

Best since Pop.

I have to see it live to know if it's better than Pop or even close to AB (I don't think so). but it's great work and besides 2 weaker songs (Crazy tonight and Cedars) there are some very strong songs in there. The first 4 are unbelievable!
By the way, I like Boots a lot more now than when it came out, it is very good!:rockon:

what if I like Boy, October and War? I can't be a U2 fan? :sad:

Nothing much wrong with it but what this album needs is a hit single to promote this album. Boots was a big mistake. Magnificent will probably not be big so its all up to MOS.

Magnificent will probably not be big so its all up to MOS.

:eyebrow: Magnificent has hit written all over it. It has enough of the U2 signature sound, plus this song can easily be remixed into a great dance song.

MOS, which is my fave off the album, will not be a hit, even if edited.

What group do I fall under? My fav's are UF, JT, RH, AB....
Zooropa and POP get honorable mention.

JOFO-I think you are # 3 below :hmm:
I would love to try and breakdown the "types" of fans because there are clearly different types. Now, what they are is not simple to define. I feel there are several groups.

1-80's/classic U2-Standard "U2 by the numbers" and nothing experimental (Pride, With or With Out you, Bad, ect...)
2-90's/00's Experimental U2 (Zooropa, Lemon, Miami, Mofo, Fez-Being Born, ect..)
3-Classicmental U2- "Catchy" U2 songs (e.g. mysterious ways, One, Pride, Streets, Beautiful Day, Elevation, Vertigo). Now Im not saying Vertigo or Elevation are as good as One or Pride but they are all "catchy" songs. Please note that "catchy" might be the wrong word here because some may feel Miami is catchy).
4-Duenowrong U2- Its all good

Im sure there are more "sub-groups" but I am a Classicmental and JOFO, that is what I think you are. Feel free to add groups to the above list because there are more.....

JOFO-I think you are # 3 below :hmm:
I would love to try and breakdown the "types" of fans because there are clearly different types. Now, what they are is not simple to define. I feel there are several groups.

1-80's/classic U2-Standard "U2 by the numbers" and nothing experimental (Pride, With or With Out you, Bad, ect...)
2-90's/00's Experimental U2 (Zooropa, Lemon, Miami, Mofo, Fez-Being Born, ect..)
3-Classicmental U2- "Catchy" U2 songs (e.g. mysterious ways, One, Pride, Streets, Beautiful Day, Elevation, Vertigo). Now Im not saying Vertigo or Elevation are as good as One or Pride but they are all "catchy" songs. Please note that "catchy" might be the wrong word here because some may feel Miami is catchy).
4-Duenowrong U2- Its all good

Im sure there are more "sub-groups" but I am a Classicmental and JOFO, that is what I think you are. Feel free to add groups to the above list because there are more.....

:applaud::lol:

I can agree to some extent but I hate Vertigo and Elevation.
But I love Zooropa, Lemon, Mofo, etc.
:hmm:

Yeah, Boots should never have made the album, every time I see them doing it live on the TV I cringe, it got the album off to a bad start. I like most of SUC but the line 'Come on you people stand up for your love' kills the song, it's too preechy. I don't have a problem with IGCIIDGCT I think it's a good pop song. The middle 3 songs do cause a bit of a problem with the overall feel of the album. Having said all that I rate this album in U2's top 3 AB -1, JT -2 NLOTH -3. It certainly isn't a failure, some of the bad reviews make me scratch my head in amazement and sales are mo sign if an album is good or bad (HTDAAB sold a lot more in it's first few weeks than NLOTH does that make it a better album ? No line is a much, much stronger album than Bomb.

Here's what I think.....if "Boots" never was released as single and was just left on the album...next to no one would have a problem with it...the only problem with that song is it's closely related in sound and style to "Vertigo" not releasing that song as a single would have solved that problem.

I don't have a problem with any of the lyrics in SUC...becuase the title of the song is Stand Up Comedy,not Stand Up..so it works and damn that is one infectious riff and a funky song to boot...one of the best songs on the album

I never knew it was flopping... I can honestly say I was wrong, and I like it the more I listen to it.

I like Get On Your Boots.

I love Moment Of Surrender , but I think it wouldn't do that well as a single... first of all you have to edit it. Do that and the song loses a lot (if not much) of it's charm.

After all the hypes died down and we realise the albums not very good and flopping,whats wrong with it? I think realeasing the awul Boots as a first single was a start. The poor Crazy and Stand Up dont help and theres just not enough songs like Magnificent.

something is wrong with you.

Here's what I think.....if "Boots" never was released as single and was just left on the album...next to no one would have a problem with it...the only problem with that song is it's closely related in sound and style to "Vertigo" not releasing that song as a single would have solved that problem.

I disagree. I guess most people would have a problem with Boots if they'd hear it on the album for the first time. I believe many would say it's displaced. I like Boots but I was worried it wouldn't fit on the album. When I first heard the album it occurred to me that it DOES in fact fit very well, so that was a nice surprise. I still think Boots was a great single, maybe one of the few songs on the album even suitable for a single release. The only thing I have to complain about is the lack of a second single. I don't understand why it takes them so long to come up with Magnificent. On the other hand, U2 never have been much of a singles band for me. I don't listen to radio and don't know the charts, so I don't really care if they are in the charts or not, because album and mostly the tour is all that matters to me. But I understand that some fans are worried about the public perception of the album, so yes, a second single should be out by now.

Back
Top Bottom