Plans for the new song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
umm why the hell are we bumping old threads??? I actually got excited here!

I'm glad you asked:
What's going on with this service? I was looking forward to hearing new U2 stuff all the details about it by now.

I signed up for the newsletter and September is almost over, still haven't heard anything. Do you think there's a connection between the 2009 release of U2's new album and the non-existent information about the new Product (RED) music store?:doh:
Will we hear something this week at all?

I didn't really want to stir up a debate about Bono's charity work.:huh:
No one seems to have answered the question so, let's take this chance and get back on topic, right?

No one seems to have answered the question so, let's take this chance and get back on topic, right?

Who knows - like with a lot of things connected to U2, it's probably been delayed :lol:

GVOX, LemonMelon, EXCELLENT posts!

Aygo, let 75% of people you talk to or people in forums like these only for international politics all disagree with Bono as a political actor or think its stupid. Who cares?

You know, this is a fanbase. Fanbase doesn't support by itself U2, not as a musical act, neither as a cultural product that needs to raise money.
U2 is kind of act that doesn't have the same fanbase/appreciators in every era. Its fanbase/appreciators is rotative.

Maybe 40% of those 75% I talked could be potential appreciators in this era. Public image counts. Bono is not making it clean in the eyes of the general public (...and of potential appreciators/"customers" for the U2 product).

You know, this is a fanbase. Fanbase doesn't support by itself U2, not as a musical act, neither as a cultural product that needs to raise money.
U2 is kind of act that doesn't have the same fanbase/appreciators in every era. Its fanbase/appreciators is rotative.

Maybe 40% of those 75% I talked could be potential appreciators in this era. Public image counts. Bono is not making it clean in the eyes of the general public (...and of potential appreciators/"customers" for the U2 product).

I thought you said outside the U2 fan base.

Either way, I dont feel that most people are that put off by it. The general public here in America generally views Bono as one of the few genuine public figures whose money is right where his mouth is. If fans are upset, they do not show it; ATYCLB and Bomb have been the Bono as world leader eras and both albums, regardless of how we here rate them, have done extremely well. Shows sell out, people dont get up and leave when Bono talks, many text in one the spot between Streets and One to join the campaign, etc.

Your talking about eras brings up something very interesting. In terms of controversy w/ Bono as a political person, this current era pales in camparison to the 1980s. Back then, he was up on stage railing against Reagan, the British government, IRA terrorists, misinformed Irish Americans, Iranian drug dealers, etc. Watch Rattle and Hum- silver and gold, bullet, sunday bloody sunday. He was alot more controversial and had greater potential to piss people off back then because he was partisan. Taking a casual fan not too into politics to a U2 show would have been a little more risky back then then it was on the Vertigo tour. Bono still has the same views and beliefs, but now his approach is to work constructively with everyone regardless of viewpoint to accomplish his goals. Yes, he is against the Iraq war, I am as well, so are many other people, but Bono views that as irrelevant to working with Bush on the global fund. Very admirable. One is non partisan, he has good things to say about both sides- the general public would have a much better impression of him now than in the late 1980s.

Anyways, I dont come to the same conclusion that it puts most people off More like it puts off a non educated, vocal minority. Plus, the bottom line is Bono's work is effective and the U2 fanbase has only expanded in the 21st cenutry.

I'm glad you asked:

Sorry The-Edge :) It was a valid question afterall and I didn't read the new posting you made in the thread before making the judgement of why an old thread was bumped. My appologies :)

Cheers!

Based on this thread alone I think Bono should take a back seat when it comes to the preaching next tour. Most people who attend a U2 show will think Bono is talking about taking their money and not supporting an issue. The right PR move from the U2 camp would be to maybe take a % from ticket sales (which I'm sure they do already) and setup Red/One booths throughout the stadiums (just like Amenesty does).

I'm sure Bono is aware of this. U2 has always taken great consideration of their audience. They dropped the "Bullet" Gun-control encore on the 3rd leg of the Elevation tour because of 9/11. Different circumstances, but the American people are in some confusing/stressful times.

On the bright side this could add one more song to the setlist :)

Based on this thread alone I think Bono should take a back seat when it comes to the preaching next tour. Most people who attend a U2 show will think Bono is talking about taking their money and not supporting an issue. The right PR move from the U2 camp would be to maybe take a % from ticket sales (which I'm sure they do already) and setup Red/One booths throughout the stadiums (just like Amenesty does).

Yes, I think it is the perception and image of Bono asking for our voice and to some people our money that may rub people the wrong way. Who wouldn't, if they could, support an organization that helps end world poverty? Most U2 fans aren't in a position where they can donate money or at least try to convince people in the government. The government wastes a lot of money but the American people don't manage the budget. Helping world poverty isn't on the top of the list of concerns for average Americans. That may be selfish but that's how it is.

Let's not forget that Americans are already being asked for their voice and money on many things. With this bailout, there will be increased taxes. Yet another thing Americans are being asked to do. Bono could put salt in those wounds. Like someone said earlier, a U2 concert is an escape. It is one of those rare things that without doing something for yourself once in a while you'd go insane in this current economic climate. Don't breach that moment of escape by asking more of Americans.

Zoopop, you are right in saying that they should take out some money for those causes out of a percent of the ticket sales.

Based on this thread alone I think Bono should take a back seat when it comes to the preaching next tour. Most people who attend a U2 show will think Bono is talking about taking their money and not supporting an issue.

It's too bad an otherwise good post had to be marred by these two inaccurate statements. I'd say based on the way some people post here, the average U2 fan's (ie, the majority who never even come here) intelligence is greater than the average EYKIW poster's, so a. Bono likely won't change a thing and b. the audience will understand the message just fine.

Sorry to everyone for getting away from the main topic here but I want to ask you guys:

Do you think Bono crossed the line on the Vertigo tour with the preaching or message during One?

I've always respected U2 for the causes they believed in. And I really respected the way they communicated that message. During Zoo, Popmart, and even Elevation I felt U2 let the music/visuals send the message.

It's too bad an otherwise good post had to be marred by these two inaccurate statements. I'd say based on the way some people post here, the average U2 fan's (ie, the majority who never even come here) intelligence is greater than the average EYKIW poster's, so a. Bono likely won't change a thing and b. the audience will understand the message just fine.

If you wouldn't mind me asking, are you an American and what is your financial situation like at the moment?

Do you think Bono crossed the line on the Vertigo tour with the preaching or message during One?

No. This is the guy that had anti IRA and more importantly anti Reagan rants in their shows. The band did the mother of all cold showers with images of war torn Sarajevo on Zoo TV, and they brought up the actual mothers of the dissapeared on stage on Popmart. On Elevation he did anti-gun control rap on Bullet the blue sky. Standing up and speaking up about their beliefs was always a part of their show.

That said the One speech is long. I felt the Miss Sarajevo linked to the Declaration of human rights did it nicely, and subtly - and the "POW/Guantanamo" routine on BTBS I could do without.

It would be cool if they launched the service with a new U2 song. That would mean it could be less than a week!

Yeah they definitely plan to include new U2 in there... but when, we don't know... if they did do it right up front for the launch how :drool: would that be?!

I kind of feel like they might release the new single on december 1st for the release ... and they've just been really hush hush about it so its a surprise? It would be so U2-ish to release their new single to promote this new (RED) service. It won't happen, but a girl can dream!

^ I don't think so, though it would be cool. The (RED) music store opens on World AIDS day on December, 1. Somehow I don't see U2 coming out with a new song, because this would overshadow the opening and the real goal of it.

^ I don't think so, though it would be cool. The (RED) music store opens on World AIDS day on December, 1. Somehow I don't see U2 coming out with a new song, because this would overshadow the opening and the real goal of it.

Good point, but I'm kind of more inclined to agree with Rosebud

^Or it might draw a hell of a lot more attention to the site.

:shrug: Who knows? Could be either really.

I think that the release of their new single would draw thousands more to sign up. I don't think it's going to happen - we would have heard more, but I still think that if they could make it happen, they would. Maybe they were planning to release the new album for it, before the delay.

^ GREAT news, thanks! So U2 recorded a special song for this, that is exactly what I thought, I didn't believe they release a song from their new album.

Anyway, it's new U2 music and I cannot wait to hear it. Can't wait for this to launch.

^ GREAT news, thanks! So U2 recorded a special song for this, that is exactly what I thought, I didn't believe they release a song from their new album.

Anyway, it's new U2 music and I cannot wait to hear it. Can't wait for this to launch.

Why can't it be from the new album? They've still been writing and recording all this time. Given how long the album is taken, I'm not sure I buy that it's specifically for the RED Launch. It could be, but I'm not sure what sense that makes. Nor does it say that the song will definitively be released in conjunction with RED's musical launch.

While it's encouraging that it's possible we'll have a new U2 song come next week, I'm not sure it's definite. And it definitely doesn't say it's a one off single, nor does it make sense for them to release a one off single with, no pun, a new album on the horizon.

U2's track was recorded just last Wednesday, while the Killers, Elton John and the Pet Shop Boys' Neil Tennant teamed up for the Christmas song "Joseph, Better You Than Me," which MacKinnon describes as "like a power ballad." This is the third year in a row the Killers have penned a holiday song and donated proceeds to (RED).

Meanwhile, John Legend's take on Bob Marley's "Redemption Song" finds him eschewing piano for a stripped-down arrangement with guitar, bass and backing vocalists, according to MacKinnon.

Well, to me that sounds as if these artists contribute songs especially for this cause. In U2's case, "the track was recorded just last Wednesday" doesn't really sound as if it was recorded for an album they've been working on for months.

And it DOES make sense that they would release a (RED) only single, after all it's Bono's initiative that led to this.

I just don't see this as being the first single of U2's new album. I think they'd want to do something special for this. First single will come with proper hype and promotion. But THIS is about promoting (RED) and the charitable cause behind it.

true enough I suppose. It's not like Bono didn't know when Red was being launched, though. I find it weird in either case that after basically being left in the dark all these months, still having not knowing really much of the new album at all, that we'd magically get a song in conjunction with RED. And have the song not be related to the album whatsoever. I can see it, I guess. If THIS were about promoting RED, wouldn't the whole promotional campaign be entirely behind it? I dunno.

Having recorded it last Wednesday lends no credence to me either way if its just for RED or for the album...we all know they've been recording for this album for awhile. Hopefully at the very least we do get a song regardless of it's place on any albums.

Back
Top Bottom