NLOTH Album Reviews - Professional / Web / Mag Reviews ONLY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2 album sure to grow on you
Heath McCoy, Canwest News Service
Published: Tuesday, February 24, 2009
U2: NO LINE ON THE HORIZON
(Universal)

4 out of 5

- - -

Get On Your Boots? I, for one, would love to, because that number -- the crashing kickoff single from U2's new album, No Line On The Horizon -- is pure fun.

A lusty hard rocker with the sort of bump and grind we don't often hear from U2, there's a silliness to the track which, in spirit, recalls the 1997 techno misstep Discotheque (though Get On Your Boots is infinitely superior to that embarrassment). With it's anthemic glam-pop chorus, dark dance grooves and thick, dirty rock rhythms it makes for a fantastic single.

But be aware, the tune doesn't reflect the album No Line On The Horizon as a whole. Planted firmly -- almost obnoxiously -- in the middle of the disc, it's as if Get On Your Boots were a conscious and much needed break from the album's truer and more sombre mission. Perhaps it was almost placed there as a quick blast of heat, to temper a rather chilly soundscape.

No Line On The Horizon is certainly the most ambient, artsy disc that U2 has come out with this decade. In some respects, it hearkens back to the electronic sounds that the iconic Dublin band toiled with to both brilliant and bad effect in the '90s, and at other moments, a touch of Radiohead's influence can be heard.

But more than anything else, the album recalls David Bowie's Berlin Trilogy. The Berlin Trilogy is a trio of cold, bold albums that The Thin White Duke recorded in the 1970s, in collaboration with Brian Eno, who is -- more than coincidentally -- a major force on No Line On The Horizon. Eno co-produces the disc with Daniel Lanois and Steve Lillywhite and he's got a hand in co-writing more than half of the songs, too.

To be sure, much of the album will take time to grow on people. It's not immediate stuff. But for the most part, U2's experiments hold up beautifully.

On the title track, a dark shimmering wall of sound ushers in the proceedings with a shuffling beat and a soaring Bono vocal. Magnificent feels at first like an electronic spoof of Black Sabbath's Iron Man until the electronic vibes roll out Bono's romantic lyrical imagery. Moment of Surrender and the oddly paranoid Unknown Caller are in a similar vein -- icy, atmospheric ballads for the computer age.

That's not to say that the album is robotic however. Those sounds mingle with the organic nicely, with horns, organs and a sharp Edge guitar solo bringing the latter track to the sort of epic finale that only U2 can deliver.

It has to be noted though that many of No Line On The Horizon's best moments occur when U2 steps into the light. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight isn't great, but it's an unabashedly love struck pop ballad that makes for another nice diversion. Stand Up Comedy is closer to Get On Your Boots than anything else on the disc, with a meaty axe line from Edge.

But the album's strongest track is the one which finds U2 recapturing the power and the lush, atmospheric grandeur for which they're best known. That would be Breathe, which rumbles in on a bed of percussion courtesy of drummer Larry Mullen Jr. and another mighty Edge riff with Bono delivering a great, picturesque lyric, his normally smooth vocals bordering on raving.

While it loses steam occasionally, for the most part No Line On The Horizon is a very impressive disc that proves U2 is still adept at pushing boundaries and refusing to be stagnant.

© The Windsor Star 2009

U2 Finds There's Much Virtue on 'The Horizon'

By J. Freedom du Lac
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, February 24, 2009; Page C01

"I was born to sing for you," Bono intones on "Magnificent," one of the standout songs on U2's at-times-magnificent new album, "No Line on the Horizon." "I didn't have a choice but to lift you up."

Oh, stop rolling your eyes.

In considering U2's music, it's important to remember that there are two Bonos. There's the soul-searching poet-singer who is forever fascinated with love, salvation and the human condition. And there's the self-appointed, self-righteous soapbox-mounting global savior.

Although the latter Bono is seemingly well-intentioned, he can be kind of insufferable; as a result, it's becoming increasingly difficult to hear U2's music without filtering it through your feelings about the other Bono, that strident, sanctimonious swirl of idealism, agenda and ego. And yes, the two Bonos are sometimes one -- but they're almost always conflated, making the singer the Sean Penn of rock-and-roll.

As it turns out, his band is still worth hearing on occasion, if you can set aside that filter.

Streaming this week on U2's MySpace page and scheduled for release March 3, U2's latest studio album is (mostly) a winning set whose centerpiece lyric can be found on "Get on Your Boots," the slashing, buzzing, bad choice for a lead single in which Bono sings: "Let me in the sound/Let me in the sound/Meet me in the sound."

For the album is more of a textural triumph than anything, with the Dublin quartet reuniting with producers Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois, with whom they've had a little bit of success ("The Unforgettable Fire," "The Joshua Tree," "Achtung Baby") to craft a thickly layered soundscape in which the overall feel of the music is more important than Bono's words themselves. Which is why the band scrapped its early sessions with super-producer/song doctor Rick Rubin, who tends to stress melody, musicianship and lyrical construction and intent; this album is more about atmospherics and rhythms than standard songcraft. That's true even melodically, as some of the album's tunes, including "Get on Your Boots," feature fairly weak melodies.

Thematically, "No Line on the Horizon" is about love and war, about feeling disconnected and discombobulated, and about redemption, religion and the ridiculousness of being Bono. Indeed, on "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight," a warmed-over arena-rocker from the band that perfected the rafter-reaching form, Bono sings that "the right to appear ridiculous is something I hold dear." And in "Stand Up Comedy," over a heavy guitar riff and lumbering, pseudo-funk groove, Bono takes a self-deprecating swipe at his somewhat diminutive self, singing: "Stand up to rock stars/Napoleon is in high heels/Josephine, be careful of small men with big ideas." (Glad to know he's in on the joke.)

The standouts, though, are the songs with the more textured and adventurous music and arrangements, such as "Magnificent," which opens with a growling guitar riff, pulsating electro-beat and some synth flourishes before the Edge's chiming guitar and Bono's soaring voice ring out and Larry Mullen's steady, whip-sharp drumming transforms the rhythm into something truly invigorating.

"Moment of Surrender" is another highlight, an entrancing seven-minute epic anchored by a video-game bass line and a steady drum pattern accented by twitchy, rhythmic sound effects and lifted by cello, organ, a few bluesy guitar licks and Bono's soulful wailing as he plays the role of lost soul. The vocal harmonies on the choruses sound like something out of a church in some distant, dystopian world; the woozy, slightly detuned piano adds to that impression, even if it's a Coldplay trick. (Not that U2 shouldn't be able to borrow from a band that's taken so liberally from U2, even enlisting Eno to produce its most recent album.)

In "Unknown Caller," Arcade Fire seems to be the lender on both the chanted, multi-voice chorus ("Go! Shout it out! Rise up!") and the bridge, what with its pipe organ, horns and xylophone/glockenspiel accents. The somewhat obtuse song opens with the sound of chirping birds, includes a Middle Eastern flourish, some wordless vocals and also one lyric that threatens to ruin the whole enterprise: "Restart and reboot yourself/You're free to go."

Bono isn't exactly in peak poetic form throughout the album. For every sharply written song, a la the contemplative "White as Snow" -- written in the voice of a dying soldier to the melody from "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel" -- there's a loudly barking dog, such as the distorted, driving garage-rock title track that opens the album and the lead single, "Get On Your Boots," which sounds like a "Pop" B-side. At its worst, "No Line on the Horizon" sounds like a collection of songs scrapped during earlier album sessions.

But at its best, it's the sound of a band pushing itself forward, figuring out a way to remain relevant while its frontman soap-boxes and saves the world.

DOWNLOAD THESE: "Moment of Surrender," "Magnificent," "White as Snow"

I have no clue if either are old or not. Just noticed someone bumped the thread and it had been a while since any reviews were posted so I looked for the most recent ones.

In considering U2's music, it's important to remember that there are two Bonos. There's the soul-searching poet-singer who is forever fascinated with love, salvation and the human condition. And there's the self-appointed, self-righteous soapbox-mounting global savior.

Although the latter Bono is seemingly well-intentioned, he can be kind of insufferable; as a result, it's becoming increasingly difficult to hear U2's music without filtering it through your feelings about the other Bono, that strident, sanctimonious swirl of idealism, agenda and ego. And yes, the two Bonos are sometimes one -- but they're almost always conflated, making the singer the Sean Penn of rock-and-roll.

Umm yes, because human beings are always one dimensional.

Off to a psychology course with you, dude.

Apart from the totally unnecessary part about Bono's personality, I found that a decent review, even though it's - again - obvious that the guy has a hard time saying something positive about the band and the music. Come on, you can do it, it's not that hard. :wink:

Does anyone know the story of Irish independent...

Those people seem t hate U2? It's not that I mind bad reviews, but they haven't been writing anything positive concerning U2 for a long time. Does Ireland not love her own band anymore?

No, the Irish Independent has been very harsh about U2 in recent years, there were a lot of bashing articles, so I'm not suprised by this review.

There is a short album review in one of Germany's most reputable newspapers, the Frankfurter Allgemeine, the review is, based on their general attitude towards the band, fairly positive, there are some things I disagree about, but they recommend the album and say U2 can still make good music. The title says: God has become music, which is pretty strong.

Also the German Spiegel, very critical towards U2 and Bono in particular, has a positive review: 9 out of 10 points. Not bad.

2 and a half stars from Balitimore Sun :|

U2's risks reward faithful
'No Line on the Horizon' on Web for free listening

By Sam Sessa

February 24, 2009

No Line on the Horizon
U2 [Interscope Records] ** 1/2

Less than a minute into the first track on U2's new album, No Line on the Horizon, it's clear the Irish rockers are ready to take risks again. That much is refreshing.

For all of the copies sold and Grammys won, U2's last album, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, was a safe bet. The songs were focused and vaguely reminiscent of the group's early years, but few were very memorable.

Not so with No Line on the Horizon, which won't be released in stores in the U.S. until next Tuesday, but was available for listening this weekend on U2's MySpace page and on U2.com.

The band's 12th album tackles esoteric themes such as love and hope in 11 tracks. Two of the album's strongest songs, "No Line on the Horizon" and the modestly titled "Magnificent," come first. The title track opens with some subtle, wavering feedback, which gives way to a hypnotic beat. "You can hear the universe / in her seashells," Bono yells in the first verse. The song smolders for minutes before exploding into stadium-rocker territory.

"Magnificent" is a full-bore stomper, complete with The Edge's trademark echoing, atmospheric guitar riffs. Love him or hate him, Bono's from-the-gut wailing and seductive crooning are undeniable. Why wasn't this song the first single?

No Line on the Horizon comes nearly five years after How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb and is one of the year's most anticipated releases. Producers Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois helped with the songwriting, and producer/mixer Steve Lillywhite lent a hand on a couple of tracks. Though the album was recorded in several locations, including Morocco, New York and the band's hometown of Dublin and features a couple of different producers, it doesn't feel disjointed.

There are flashes of brilliance on No Line on the Horizon that bring to mind The Joshua Tree and other masterpieces from U2's prime. But as a whole, No Line on the Horizon isn't on par with U2's best work. Noticeably missing are the aching, alluring melodies that helped make U2 into one of the world's biggest rock acts.

The first single, "Get on Your Boots," which the band performed at this month's Grammys, is a great example. It opens with a sizzling guitar riff that's quickly spoiled by Bono's rapid-fire lyrics. The groove is there, but the melody doesn't stay with you. There are times when Bono overreaches and winds up sounding too gratuitous. In the context of the album, it's passable at best. But as a single, "Get on Your Boots" is forgettable.

The album cools down noticeably near the end. "Fez - Being Born" opens with a minute-long, trancelike dirge before jarringly switching gears and plunging into 0061 more upbeat jam. "White as Snow" and "Cedars of Lebanon" begin with hypnotic keyboards and give way to slow-paced, reflective verses. Some of the songs, such as "Moment of Surrender" and "Unknown Caller," stretch to six and seven minutes.

Bono can still turn a phrase. On the plodding "Moment of Surrender," he sings "I tied myself with wire / to let the horses roam free / playing with fire / until the fire played with me." But he has plenty of lines that make you scratch your head, too. "I've got a submarine / you've got gasoline," he sings on "Get on Your Boots." What?

No Line on the Horizon might not spawn as many hits or sell as many albums as U2's last album. But the band's willingness to experiment again is worth celebrating.

Download these: "Magnificent," "No Line on the Horizon," "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy"

Hey, that's not a bad review. Most reviewers need something to bitch about, but overall I think this review is really positive.

21/2 stars out of what?

The drownedinsound review:
Once upon a time hating all things U2, and particularly outspoken frontman Bono, became something of an international pastime. Then, around the back end of summer 2000, they re-emerged amidst a froth of pseudo teen-angst metal wannabees and semi-acoustic dullards with 'Beautiful Day', arguably their best single for at least a decade and suddenly it was cool to like U2 again. Almost immediately, budding musicians were falling under their influence like it was 1983 over again and bands were formed as a result. From the obvious wide-angle pretenders to their stadium rock crown such as The Killers and Editors to the more aloof but no less inspired grandiose alt.rock of The National and The Stills, all hold a torch to some degree or another in honour of U2.

Their last world tour, four years ago, had a list as long as both arms of supposedly cool bands vying to support them; indeed their show on said tour at the City of Manchester Stadium in May 2005 was undoubtedly the best of its kind I've ever witnessed. Relevance it seemed, and ultimately acceptance from a whole new generation brought up on Britpop and its subsequent offspring was theirs for the taking. An effortless task made all the more easier thanks to the zeitgeist and its new wave of guitar bands making giant steps of their own in their masters wake. The next step was always going to be a testing one though for U2. Often accused of sticking rigidly to the same formula in the early part of their career, they spent the next decade hellbent on proving they were up for any type of challenge imaginable, whether it involved phoning world leaders onstage during the outro to 'With Or Without You', or musically trying to re-invent themselves via a succession of differing producers such as Flood and Howie B not to mention dalliances with various genres from dance to delta blues and experimental noise that defies categorisation.

Having conquered their fear of being irrelevant for the first half of this decade, it seems Bono is once again more concerned about growing old disgracefully rather than concentrating all his efforts into making a great record, and as a result, No Line On The Horizon suffers through a sense of desperation. It's also worth noting that despite this being the twelfth album of U2's thirty years old career, this is the longest they've actually taken between any two albums - a full five years since 2004's How To Dismantle An Atom Bomb - not to mention the aborted attempts at recording the album with Rick Rubin three years ago. If anything, No Line On The Horizon has been anything but a bed of roses to conjure up, and even the input of long-term studio associates Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois can't hide the fact that this is the sound of a band trying to play catch-up rather than lead the chasing pack with an assertiveness we've come to expect, perhaps take for granted even if Bono's preposterous self-worthiness often meant the music took a backseat.

Lead single 'Get On Your Boots' has already divided opinion massively; some critics, myself included have gone as far as commenting that its possibly U2's worst three-and-a-half minutes to date. An unfocused calamity of mismatched ideas and clumsy lyrics that can't decide whether it wants to be T-Rex, Take That or both. Others claim it to be one of their best. It certainly delivers the unexpected that's for sure, and even amidst some of the less-than inspiring company here, is arguably the weakest song on the album.

Lyrically, Bono does appear to have adopted a less serious approach than on previous albums. The self-proclaimed second coming of the po-faced messiah that's threatened to surface at one time or another on each of this record's eleven predecessors never really materialises here. On 'Stand Up Comedy', Bono even appears to take a lighthearted swipe at his own mythical persona, insisting "My ego's not really the enemy, its like a small child crossing an eight lane highway on a voyage of discovery." That's not to say that he still isn't capable of self-congratulatory pomposity every once in a while. "I was born to sing for you!" he implies on 'Magnificent', possibly the strongest throwback to what could be described as "classic" U2 thanks to one of The Edge's now customary chugging riffs, and arguably No Line On The Horizon's standout moment. Without trying to suggest the A&R department at Mercury Records don't know any better, this would have been the most obvious choice as an introductory 45 to the album, and even though nothing else here quite matches up to it, it would surely have created more excitement and anticipation at NLOTH's imminent arrival than the trepidation that set in after 'Get On Your Boots' first public airing.

There are other highlights too, which suggest that when U2 weren't too occupied eyeing up the competition they had one or two surges of creativity. 'I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight' won't win any awards for best song title, but it rides along a nagging wave of AC/DC-cum-Zeppelin euphoria coupled with one of Bono's best vocal performances in years that again, would have led a more-radio and audience friendly path into this horizon. Likewise 'Fez - Being Born', a slow-burning homage to the Moroccan city where much of this album was conceivede, that once again brings The Edge's guitar work into the spotlight, albeit in a less frenetic, chiming mantra kind of way.

Unfortunately, too much of NLOTH sounds staid and uninspired, again maybe due to the changing musical landscape that was going on all around them during the making of the record. 'Moment Of Surrender' and 'Unknown Caller' clock in at seven-and-a-half and six minutes precisely, when little over half of those would have sufficed on each, resulting in two pieces of insipid dirge that plod along relentlessly, the former seemingly harangued by the shadow of far superior past efforts such as 'One', the latter seemingly off course and bereft of ideas.

The biggest irony of No Line On The Horizon is that all of its failings and shortcomings will no doubt be forgotten come summer when the U2 live circus goes back on the road, but as with many other artists with such extensive, and in parts near faultless back catalogues who seem intent on continuing well past their realistic creative peak, it's hard to imagine many of those who've spent their hard-earned cash purchasing tickets for such an event demanding a set heavy of material from this record.

Disappointing then, but hardly a surprise in all honesty...

5 / 10

^ Terrible review, seems like the reviewer has scanned Wikipedia for his facts and even then managed to get them wrong....

What a total idiot :doh:

Clear U2 hater. And Bono in particular.

And so many errors.

It's disgusting what kind of people can become journalists.

Here is what I have to say to the person who wrote that last review...

RANT:

What the f**k is seriously so wrong with a famous person using their fame for a good cause? What the f**k is wrong with saving lives? I've seriously never understood the people who hate Bono and say he should "shut up" about Africa. WHY!?!? Hardly anyone else seems to be saying anything about it! He's a f**king ROCK STAR who gets RESULTS when it comes to the things he's passionate about. What the hell pisses people off so much about the fact that Bono tries to save lives that they can't write a f**king balanced review of his MUSIC without trashing his "ego" and all that shit. What a bunch of insecure f**kers!

END RANT

What pisses me off is how every review feels the need to preface with their feelings about Bono, which are almost always negative. If they like the album, they do so begrudgingly - "despite how annoying Bono is, well, the album isn't too bad." How about you just judge the music for what it is instead of bringing in your negative bias? Also, Bono > you. So stfu.

What pisses me off is how every review feels the need to preface with their feelings about Bono, which are almost always negative. If they like the album, they do so begrudgingly - "despite how annoying Bono is, well, the album isn't too bad." How about you just judge the music for what it is instead of bringing in your negative bias? Also, Bono > you. So stfu.

exactly. it seems like every professional review comes with an agenda.

Bono could be relaxing in Eze, instead he tries his best to help poor African families defeat AIDS. That's why it's annoying to ignorant and selfish people who just care about their arses.

:down:
I used to get DIS newsletter, but they raved on and on about groups I didn't know anything about, then dissed every band that had any kind of popularity. I unsubscribed to them a few years back. They never said anything of interest to me. I see they are still at it.

Bono really rubs people the wrong way it seem. Oh well, their loss.

I just wish Bono wouldn't sing so much about his fame / rock star status. As someone posted yesterday, it's not really anything that an average listener can identify with. He never used to do this, but it's really taken off on the last few albums. It's great when he sings about "speeding through the subway / through the stations of the cross" and writes about universal human situations. But when we get "last of the rock stars," and "some things you shouldn't get too good at / like smiling, crying, or celebrity" ... and "beware of little men with big ideas / Josephine - Napoleon" and "I was born to sing for you" etc., then I can understand how that would grate on people a little.

3 stars from RTE (that's one more star than HTDAAB). Don't forget to use the "User Rating".

RT�.ie Entertainment: U2 - No Line on the Horizon

And that "Drowned in Sound" review pissed me off. :mad:

the most interesting thing on this drowned in sound review is the fact that DIS is from the same one who made "THE QUIETUS", and there they´ve got much more credits from the editor.

and this editor from DIS like crazy tonight and compare it to ac/dc..how weird is that?

The Quietus | Features | Track-by-track: | U2 No Line On The Horizon Track-By-Track Album Review

Here is what I have to say to the person who wrote that last review...

RANT:

What the f**k is seriously so wrong with a famous person using their fame for a good cause? What the f**k is wrong with saving lives? I've seriously never understood the people who hate Bono and say he should "shut up" about Africa. WHY!?!? Hardly anyone else seems to be saying anything about it! He's a f**king ROCK STAR who gets RESULTS when it comes to the things he's passionate about. What the hell pisses people off so much about the fact that Bono tries to save lives that they can't write a f**king balanced review of his MUSIC without trashing his "ego" and all that shit. What a bunch of insecure f**kers!

END RANT

AMEN. I'm so happy some people feel like this too. I'm seriously shocked at the amount of crap Bono has been getting lately, including from many U2 fans. I think it says a lot about how self-centered people really are:down:

I think some of the crap he gets is his own fault--I do recognise that he can get a bit annoying and sound self-righteous to many, especially when his campaigning stuff might come into the music and the live shows a bit too much. But still, the work he has done has produced astonishing results, and I never doubted for a minute his sincerity. People are so cynical about social activism, it's truly sadening.

3 stars from RTE (that's one more star than HTDAAB). Don't forget to use the "User Rating".

RT�.ie Entertainment: U2 - No Line on the Horizon

And that "Drowned in Sound" review pissed me off. :mad:

this one from RTE is a real good one I think. "There should be no fear about venturing into the unknown, and no worries about getting lost along the way."

i love that. because thats the point. they should take more risks and things will grow again. even this album divide the critics totally, the next one could be have more depth. that would be great. :applaud:

AMEN. I'm so happy some people feel like this too. I'm seriously shocked at the amount of crap Bono has been getting lately, including from many U2 fans. I think it says a lot about how self-centered people really are:down:

I think some of the crap he gets is his own fault--I do recognise that he can get a bit annoying and sound self-righteous to many, especially when his campaigning stuff might come into the music and the live shows a bit too much. But still, the work he has done has produced astonishing results, and I never doubted for a minute his sincerity. People are so cynical about social activism, it's truly sadening.

all of them should shut up. this guy safed so many Lives. they aren´t in the position to criticise him.

The thing I am noticing is a clear split between people who "get/like" the experimentation (MoS, UC, GOYB, Fez etc.) and those who don't - and think those songs are weak and suggest we need more "classic, solid U2" (Magnificent, Breathe, Crazy Tonight etc.)

Back
Top Bottom