My Theory - Apologies in advance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacemaker

Refugee
So as I'm sure you all know, there are a lot of long(er) threads here at the forum(s). I don't keep up with them if I haven't been by in a while and didn't catch it at the beginning. I apologize if this is all well-worn territory.

That being said, here is what I'm starting to think is happening in the U2 camp: They have too much material and they're deciding what to do with it all, whether its already finished, nearly complete, or still just an idea.

As a result, I wonder what the chances are of the World getting something from U2 at an unexpected time, with little warning, in the vein of Radiohead and Nine Inch Nails. I know there's been a lot of EP talk, and how generally people feel that we won't be getting one pre-album (although I'm sure they hope). This may never occur to the band and their management, but I don't think there's ever been a better time in their career to release an EP. A lot of people will reason that the Corporation usually overturns the Band with things like this if there isn't a single or hype attached. I like to think that the Band would still get ultimate say over what's what in the end.

This may all be naively wishful thinking, but I'm predicting via a combination of what I think they'll attempt and my desire to hear just what they've been working on all this time. And guarantee nothing. Ho hum.

I think if we ever get an EP, it will be after the proper album, in the middle of the tour.

Releasing an EP pre-album, would just be a stupid artistic and business move.

I think there may be a higher chance of getting a double album which unlike a few people here I would actually love to see! Apart from R&H which can almost be considered a double album? U2 has never done a 2 CD Album and I think there is a first time for everything.

I'm not sure it would be that dumb. Joseph Arthur is releasing four EPs prior to his album release all within 2008.

Pre-LP EPs are fairly common, usually with smaller bands. But either way, I still think that they're sitting on a large collection of music, trying to sort through it and figuring out ways of compiling it.

topplehatU2 said:
I'm not sure it would be that dumb. Joseph Arthur is releasing four EPs prior to his album release all within 2008.

Joseph Arthur doesn't wait 4 years between albums and isn't one of the biggest bands around.

This next album is a big one for the band. Will it be another Bomb or will it live up to the hype and take another direction. If you release an EP and it's not groundbreaking, it will throw off the success of the album. Now last summer an EP would have been fine, many would just consider it left over from Bomb and ATYCLB, but whatever you do now will come off as a taste of what's to come. Even if the EP is amazing, it's too close to the album release, if they had this much material why not a double album or two full albums? The only way an EP would work for a band like U2 is mid tour. Zooropa was going to be an EP at one point.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

This next album is a big one for the band. Will it be another Bomb or will it live up to the hype and take another direction.

I think it needs to push the band away from the "rock dinosaur" teritorry rumours flying around since 2004. The big 5-0 age is looming large, too.

U2girl said:

I think it needs to push the band away from the "rock dinosaur" teritorry rumours flying around since 2004. The big 5-0 age is looming large, too.

Well, yeah, but not in a Vertigo way. We've already seen them be light-hearted and fun, I think we need something else. Last album was just a little too schitzophrenic... started off fun, then talked about mortality, and then war, and some more mortality, and then relationships, poverty, then God, it was just all over the place... Which always made me laugh when people said U2 made Bomb to try and get the teeny bopper crowd, if anything the last album showed their age more than any album since Boy. Boy showed their age as far as being you and naive, Bomb showed their age as far as dealing with their own mortality and the mortality of relationships and loved ones.

Last edited:
I don't think they'll deviate too much from the fall release/ spring tour/ mid-tour release format that they've stuck to for the last decade. I just hope they throw in some new material on that mid-tour release instead of just another Concert DVD (not that I'm against the U2 liveshow, but don't keep going back there in the same format).

I can see maybe a CD of live tunes from the tour OR a DVD of some concert footage mixed with a disk of original material. Maybe even play some of the new stuff live before you release it to give it some hype mid-tour. That would satisfy the stagnant setlist haters at the same time.

At least we know that U2 has released material mid-tour before. Was the material off Zooropa recorded during a break in the touring schedule, or was it mainly handled before ZooTV? I can't see them doing that again - taking that risk of recording on the fly - but maybe they'll take what gets left off the new record in terms of polished tracks and use them for this purpose.

I agree that U2 has to survive the "rock dinosaur" label that has plagued the Rolling Stones. Especially after HTDAAB pushed them that much further away from pop-culture credibility. Even when it comes to the Grammys... sure they cleaned up with Bomb, but could that have been an attempt on behalf of the music world to keep the band afloat and relevant? Maybe a farewell tribute to an aging band losing its touch from their view? I even thought Green Day would clean up that year... even Bono did! I think their relevance is on its last legs going into this album release.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Well, yeah, but not in a Vertigo way. We've already seen them be light-hearted and fun, I think we need something else. Last album was just a little too schitzophrenic... started off fun, then talked about mortality, and then war, and some more mortality, and then relationships, poverty, then God, it was just all over the place... Which always made me laugh when people said U2 made Bomb to try and get the teeny bopper crowd, if anything the last album showed their age more than any album since Boy. Boy showed their age as far as being you and naive, Bomb showed their age as far as dealing with their own mortality and the mortality of relationships and loved ones.

Vertigo wasn't about that. I liked it for being a fun, we-re-noticing-the rise of-"the bands" (and it has a touch of the sound of our early albums too) song.

I meant that it's time to get a new sound, everything off Bomb - even those Itunes songs - (except maybe Fast cars) sounded like 80's, 90's or ATYCLB era U2. It's not to say it doesn't work at times, but you can only do it once, and it would be nice to get a theme and an album next. It's good to hear Lanois say Bono has a "lyrical angle" for this reason, and hopefully Edge has moved on from his vintage U2 sounds. I don't mind the themes (maybe try something else after two albums now though) - faith, relatonships, death - it's just that the execution is hit and miss.

Add to that the U2:18 uproar and plethora of re-releases and the Grammy wins...even without all that I think it will be hard to be pushing 50 and being popular and credible as a band.

I'm guessing they release a full length Eno/Lanois produced album in October as stated. I think what we could get is a Rubin produced EP or album just a couple years after the release of the the new album.

What I think would be cool (but it ain't going to happen) is that they pull a Counting Crows (i.e. Saturday Nights, Sunday Mornings) where one "side" (or disk if they have a lot of material) is the lanois/eno material, and the other "side" is the Rubin material (i.e. finished off beach clips)

I also like that on this album (at least it seems - unless Eno and Lanois are a panic way out and Rubin was a disaster) things are going smoother compared to the hard work of their last three albums.

Needle_Chill said:
I don't think they'll deviate too much from the fall release/ spring tour/ mid-tour release format that they've stuck to for the last decade. I just hope they throw in some new material on that mid-tour release instead of just another Concert DVD (not that I'm against the U2 liveshow, but don't keep going back there in the same format).

I can see maybe a CD of live tunes from the tour OR a DVD of some concert footage mixed with a disk of original material. Maybe even play some of the new stuff live before you release it to give it some hype mid-tour. That would satisfy the stagnant setlist haters at the same time.

At least we know that U2 has released material mid-tour before. Was the material off Zooropa recorded during a break in the touring schedule, or was it mainly handled before ZooTV? I can't see them doing that again - taking that risk of recording on the fly - but maybe they'll take what gets left off the new record in terms of polished tracks and use them for this purpose.

I agree that U2 has to survive the "rock dinosaur" label that has plagued the Rolling Stones. Especially after HTDAAB pushed them that much further away from pop-culture credibility. Even when it comes to the Grammys... sure they cleaned up with Bomb, but could that have been an attempt on behalf of the music world to keep the band afloat and relevant? Maybe a farewell tribute to an aging band losing its touch from their view? I even thought Green Day would clean up that year... even Bono did! I think their relevance is on its last legs going into this album release.

HTDAAB won over Green Day because Green Day sucks, that's why...not because the music industry wanted to keep U2 relevant...a farewell tribute? I don't understand that...they're more than just relevant these days, they're the biggest band in the world :yes:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
who the hell is joseph arthur?

you don't know, he's as big as u2.

really good singer songwriter, who looks like tom green.

michael stipe recorded his song "in the sun" for katrina victims, probably the closest thing he has had to a hit. (really great song)

A double album will be amaaazing but i dunno about u2 doing that.

It would be cool for them to release a double album but one album is more rocking achtung/pop sounding while the second is a more atmoshperic Unforgettable fire/joshua tree sound. Maybe they could name it like..... The Sun for the rocking album and The Moon for the softer album...

Or Ep's work too, but they never seem as great as an album or mentioned alot compared to albums...

I think they'll do something interesting. They understand the need for media interest. Simply releasing 11 songs and touring is just not enough anymore. I think they got a pass on Bomb. A third pretty good 00's U2 record would be a yawn in the press. They'll need some kind of hook, and I'm guessing it'll be digital. They are not going do a Radiohead, especially after Paul McG's comments, but they will do something to warrant interesting press.

ahittle said:
I think they'll do something interesting. They understand the need for media interest. Simply releasing 11 songs and touring is just not enough anymore.

:eyebrow:

How many bands are doing more than releasing an album and touring?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

:eyebrow:

How many bands are doing more than releasing an album and touring?

Loads. Nearly all. But U2 always try to stay on the pulse and remain relevant. That's why I have a feeling they'll pull something out of the ordinary, especially since they didn't think of what Radiohead and NIN did first.

Nine Inch Nails made 1.6 Million dollars off of Ghosts in one week. Granted, you have to subtract the packaging for the special editions and the bandwith costs from that. But that's almost pure profit. I can see Paul Mc$$$ seeing some potential here, where it might not have been evident to him before.

I think the biggest roadblock U2 are facing right now, is if they'll be seen as followers if they pull some radical. Despite what Bono wrote when the band began, I do NOT think they'd want to follow other huge bands... Because I can imagine THEM imagining that if it doesn't work, it'll backfire and they'll be laughed at.

It's such a theoretically messed up situation I almost regret bringing it up. There are pros and cons that can be debated forever about them attempting something "radical". I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

pacemaker said:

Loads. Nearly all. But U2 always try to stay on the pulse and remain relevant. That's why I have a feeling they'll pull something out of the ordinary, especially since they didn't think of what Radiohead and NIN did first.

Nine Inch Nails made 1.6 Million dollars off of Ghosts in one week. Granted, you have to subtract the packaging for the special editions and the bandwith costs from that. But that's almost pure profit. I can see Paul Mc$$$ seeing some potential here, where it might not have been evident to him before.

I think the biggest roadblock U2 are facing right now, is if they'll be seen as followers if they pull some radical. Despite what Bono wrote when the band began, I do NOT think they'd want to follow other huge bands... Because I can imagine THEM imagining that if it doesn't work, it'll backfire and they'll be laughed at.

It's such a theoretically messed up situation I almost regret bringing it up. There are pros and cons that can be debated forever about them attempting something "radical". I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Nearly all? What are you talking about? Radiohead released an album and are going on tour, yes the way the released may have been a little different but at the end of the day nothing's changed. I've lost interest in NIN, so catch me up, what did they do that was beyond releasing an album and going on tour?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Nearly all? What are you talking about? Radiohead released an album and are going on tour, yes the way the released may have been a little different but at the end of the day nothing's changed. I've lost interest in NIN, so catch me up, what did they do that was beyond releasing an album and going on tour?

nothing, really different for either.

the only thing they both did is release the albums real quick, without a bunch of buildup.

nin just release a bunch of boring instrumentals, and didn't it digitally and all the sudden. same thing as radiohead, but nin's is basically just a bunch glorified demos.

Rob33 said:

HTDAAB won over Green Day because Green Day sucks, that's why...not because the music industry wanted to keep U2 relevant...a farewell tribute? I don't understand that...they're more than just relevant these days, they're the biggest band in the world :yes:

Thank you! That made actually no sense. U2 can stand on their own and the music industry is happy to kick someone to the curb when they are truly irrelevant. For example, you didn't see the half assed, excuse to tour with 2/5 of the band Who album getting any grammys. U2 is simply a better band, and bomb simply a better album than that Green Day stuff. I am throughly unimpressed w/ that band. In fact, Saints had to lose the joint performances and just be done by U2 on Vertigo 5 leg to actually sound good. Saints, though a cover, sounds a lot like early 80s U2 stuff in a lot of ways. Was bomb perfect? No, but it was a great record and critics the world over agree U2 is still the biggest band in the world- no one else comes close.

Needle_Chill said:

Completely wrong! U2 is as relevant as ever, and they won the Grammys because Green Day is no good. As for Bono's comment, it shows how, contrary to misinformed popular belief, he and the boys are the most humble band in show business. Bono acknowledged all of the runners up to the awards- Gwen Stefani, Mariah Carey, Green Day- they are humble and gracious and are never, ever satisfied with their work and that is why they keep getting better, will continue to get better and continue to remain relevant. Critics the world over agree that U2 is the biggest band in the world today, and that is the way it stays until someone earns that title from them- no pun intended, but there is no line on the horizon for that happening anytime soon! They are as relevant as ever, look at everyone who tries to copy them. From Coldplay and the editors' sound to Tom Petty's super bowl stage rip off of the heart and ellipse, U2 sets the standard, the rest follow! I am in college and every one I meet my age agrees that U2 is as relevant to them as it was to their parents, and that they are 'beyond celebrities.' Especially all the girls I meet seem to love them and think they are an excellent and relevant band that is on top and untouchable for the forseeable future.

Back
Top Bottom