Larry Drumming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Has any one noticed that One Tree Hill and Mothers Of The Disappeared have exactly the same drum track..its just slower and synthesized on MOTD.

actualy now that i watch it again it doesn't really sound like the vertigo intro, it sounds like a cool jazzy kind of beat. Maybe one of the songs or melody's will be a jazzy type of morracan sound :)

Good: U2.com posted something.

Bad: It's absolutely nothing.

I mean, of all of the things they could have posted, could anything have gotten more boring after ten seconds than that?

I think adam told them to post it. So if so all you u2.com bashers are ripping on the band. There may be more to this than meets the eye...Transformers album?

vaz02 said:

Im entitled to my opinion just as much as anyone else, after all this is a discussion board.

I have no problem with u2 post 2000, its just Larry's drumming is a bit flat. LAPOE was good live, especially the end when larry gets back to his drum kit and starts going wild.

Fair enough,its just people seem to be passing judgement on things that are not near ready.

super fly guy said:

Fair enough,its just people seem to be passing judgement on things that are not near ready.

Not only is this not ready but it could be any number of things, it could be a drum track in the making that will eventually overlay another pattern...they could be testing out an aspect of that drumbeat over Adam's bass line...I could go on and on....

I'm glad U2 aren't afraid to release little things like this that may come off as "boring" or "flat" to some fans or in some way portray Larry in a negative way :rolleyes:...keep it comin U2!

But in regards to the music in the background, anyone else think that's a cool bass line goin on there? :hmm:

Last edited:
Rob33 said:

Not only is this not ready but it could be any number of things, it could be a drum track in the making that will eventually overlay another pattern...they could be testing out an aspect of that drumbeat over Adam's bass line...I could go on and on....

I'm glad U2 aren't afraid to release little things like this that may come off as "boring" or "flat" to some fans or in some way portray Larry in a negative way :rolleyes:...keep it comin U2!

But in regards to the music in the background, anyone else think that's a cool bass line goin on there? :hmm:

I just watched the clip and for U2, it's stupid, because more likely than not, we will not get any sort of follow up videos. It's obvious that these 10 seconds are meaningful, but don't provide enough to get that excited about. If you are REM and you did this consistently to hype the upcoming album, as they did with the Ninety-Nights clips the 90 days before Accelerate, then it makes sense. If U2.com and the band are going to continue this kind of thing to put a puzzle out there for us to piece together, then I will change my mind. REM took the idea of the clips, disposed them to their fans, and let them make a video, a great way to offer some great interaction with the listeners. One can only hope U2 would take some chances like that.

Last edited:
mofo82 said:

I just watched the clip and for U2, it's stupid, because more likely than not, we will not get any sort of follow up videos. It's obvious that these 10 seconds are meaningful, but don't provide enough to get that excited about. If you are REM and you did this consistently to hype the upcoming album, as they did with the Ninety-Nights clips the 90 days before Accelerate, then it makes sense. If U2.com and the band are going to continue this kind of thing to put a puzzle out there for us to piece together, then I will change my mind. REM took the idea of the clips, disposed them to their fans, and let them make a video, a great way to offer some great interaction with the listeners. One can only hope U2 would take some chances like that.

I agree, what R.E.M. did was great, but U2 really has never been like that, I don't see why some people expect them to all of a sudden be like other bands such as R.E.M. and connect like that with fans over the internet, etc....

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see U2 get a little more intimate but I surely do not expect it, and I'm content either way :shrug:

honestly I think the less content we hear/see before the album the more exciting and surprising the first listen of the new album will be, so maybe try to look at it like that if it bothers you.

Rob33 said:

The sad part is, judging by the quality and complexity of Larry's drumming in the past decade or so, this is of the same quality as much of his other drumming. It's almost like they're taunting us with a clip that should be awesome, but instead pulling out the most mediocre member of their band and showing off his lack of ability. IMO it's worse than showing nothing at all.

Last edited:
shart1780 said:

The sad part is, judging by the quality and complexity of Larry's drumming in the past decade or so, this is of the same quality as much of his other drumming. It's almost like they're taunting us with a clip that should be awesome, but instead pulling out the most mediocre member of their band and showing off his lack of ability. IMO it's worse than showing nothing at all.

you're really making him out to be worse than he is and blowing this out of proportion...I don't think this video was anything more than simply a glimpse inside the studio of Larry drumming- after all, we haven't gotten too many of these throughout U2's career. I'm sure Larry/U2 didn't release this video with the mindset of "lets impress U2 fans," and I doubt they had any concern whatsoever of fans like you criticizing Larry's drumming. Surely, if they were trying to impress us, they would've released something more complete and intricate perhaps that really showcased Larry's talent. It's very provincial and ignorant to pass judgment on his skills as a drummer/musician based on a 45 second clip of a beat even Larry himself would admit was fairly basic.

Larry never claimed to be a great drummer. I doubt he'll blow anyone away this late in their career.

man coldplay is releasing free songs

and u2 is releasing free videos of Larry playing the drums :drool:

and another :wink:

:drool:

well, give Coldplay another 15 years and they'll probably have something similar on their website

:(

xaviMF22 said:
man coldplay is releasing free songs

and u2 is releasing free videos of Larry playing the drums :drool:

and another :wink:

:drool:

For the Record, the video was actually paid-account "bonus" stuff.

Internet Piracy for the....well...the meh, the vid ended up being free, but it is what it is.

Did anyone else notice the "exotic" synthesizer sound in this videoclip?
It's practically buried beneath all the noise from the drums but it's quite audible between 00:00-00:04 just before the louder bass guitar-line comes in. The bass keeps playing faintly throughout the clip as well, but perhaps that observation is far too obvious.

http://media.u2.com/flash/highlights/larrydrumming_april08.swf

Actually I'm not 100% that it is a synthesizer sound, might be a Persian dulcimer type of instrument called Santur. I saw that (probably) Brian brought one to the Coldplay sessions as well (Life in Technicolor clip).

Last edited:
The_Edge89 said:

Actually I'm not 100% that it is a synthesizer sound, might be a Persian dulcimer type of instrument called Santur. I saw that (probably) Brian brought one to the Coldplay sessions as well (Life in Technicolor clip).

It sounds like an acoustic guitar played with a capo to me. :shrug:

OoOo i hadnt seen that clip before, thats quite a sharp riff at the start. Shit tea though :)

This is starting to become fun, it's the same song on the first clip only from the band's room instead of the drummer cell, but it sounds like the beginning of the track whereas the previous video made sense as a finale, maube in a couple of weeks we'll get the middle, anyway sounds like a silly fun track...

Back
Top Bottom