Jazz - a genre still not explored well by U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JOFO said:
I won't even address the negative posts regarding the genre of jazz music, only to say you're ignorant.

People are entitled to their opinions. To say that a person is ignorant for thinking negatively of the jazz genre is rude.

U2 did explore blues in Rattle and Hum, which is a division of Jazz. But I don't think Jazz is their bag.

Bonochick said:

People are entitled to their opinions. To say that a person is ignorant for thinking negatively of the jazz genre is rude.

And my opinion is that it's ignorant to just dismiss the only genre of music that America has contributed to the world. To do that to me is being rude.

JOFO said:

And my opinion is that it's ignorant to just dismiss the only genre of music that America has contributed to the world. To do that to me is being rude.

Well you missed out in your music history.:eyebrow:

Who gave us Rock n Roll?

Axver said:

Yeah, guys who can play better than Edge are laughable. Let's just slag them off with ignorant, stereotypical insults instead of acknowledging their virtuoso talent! :|

Its not a stereotype when it comes to prog, a genre infamous for showboating and self-indulgence..I don't really care who is better at what when it comes to instruments, but I know that most "tasteful" *shivers*prog-rock bores me to death. :)

Blues would be sweet, the band definitely have the skill to play it. I dont think Bono's voice would lend itself to Jazz though... anyone else agree?

Flying FuManchu said:
I remember Bill Frissell and Brian Blade working with Bono for the Million Dollar Hotel Soundtrack. Both are esteemed jazz musicians.

However, I'm still waiting on the full on rock album from U2.

:wink:

I think that was Pop.

U2 doing Jazz might a bit of a reach. Plus Bono would have a bad haircut :wink:

You either get Jazz or you don't - I don't.

I respect Jazz musicians, and, as a guitarist myself, they are f***ing amazing, but I just don't enjoy listening to it.

Whether U2 incorporated Jazz with sub-genres or not, I would prefer a solo Bono to go in that direction and leave the band to experiment with other music - as long as it's not R&B or rap ARGH!!!

Lemonfix said:
Bono was born to be a jazz singer....

(Turns on the Jools Holland version of Velvet Dress :drool: )

Darn, I thought I was going to be amazingly U2-savvy and tell about my findings of that song. :madspit: :wink:

As a jazz musician, I approve of this song. :up:

Although U2 doing Jazz is an interesting thought, they're certainly no Elvis Costello and I don't think they have anything near the amount of versatility to genre-hop at this stage of their career.

Let's face it, U2 is not an improvisational band. The closest they would get to blues is Edge using the Penatonic Minor scale more often. Hell, the last time Edge tried a blues solo he played the exact three or four notes four times (see Grammy Music Rising jam). The solo from the Vertigo BTBS don't even count as blues solo, they were just crap.

Last edited:
I don't know if it counts as jazz, but I would definitely like to see more music in the vein of Stateless, Ground beneath her feet, If you wear that velvet dress, Falling at your feet, Never let me go...

Canadiens1160 said:

Let's face it, U2 is not an improvisational band. The closest they would get to blues is Edge using the Penatonic Minor scale more often. Hell, the last time Edge tried a blues solo he played the exact three or four notes four times (see Grammy Music Rising jam). The solo from the Vertigo BTBS don't even count as blues solo, they were just crap.

Hey now! BB King just plays the same 3-4 notes too! I think the solo from Vertigo BTBS is the closest to Blues that Edge ever got or will ever get.

Besides... I don't think Edge and company are of the mind to genre hop which is ok with me.

I always thought Blues & Jazz were the same genre! If so,they have already covered that with the R&H album!!! Bono also did a duet (with Frank Sinatra.....even though he was in the ground for many years.....bless technology! :eyebrow: )

The song was called "I got you under my skin"

fly so high! said:
I always thought Blues & Jazz were the same genre! If so,they have already covered that with the R&H album!!! Bono also did a duet (with Frank Sinatra.....even though he was in the ground for many years.....bless technology! :eyebrow: )

The song was called "I got you under my skin"

:lol: Blues and Jazz are different.

And Sinatra was alive when they did the duet...:huh:

I just googled it, yeah.......he performed it with him on a grammy night in 1994,,,,ignore me...i've officially lost it!!! I had the impression he was already dead and he did what Natalie King Cole did with her dad's music"!!!and i'm supposed to be a fan:shocked: :laugh:

I even had that song as my wedding waltz,God i'm such a Goober!!!:scream: :reject:

I don't see U2 recording a jazz album, but I think they could use jazz in the same way Miles Davis used rock in his later albums.

U2 is about as bluesy as Saudi Arabia. That is to say not bluesy at all.

I wouldn't mind a Bono solo album of stuff like the jools holland version of Velvet Dress... or Thats Life and Two Shots Of Happy. I think it would be good.

Back
Top Bottom