Is NLOTH (song) a mix of other songs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
Has anyone else noticed the riff from Holy Joe in the chorus and the the riff from The Fly in the verse?

I don't know if it's intentional, but U2 does have some go-to progressions that keep popping up throughout their catalog.

I heard the Holy Joe and Lady With The Spinning Head right away. The Fly I only noticed when people here mentioned it.

they've incorporated similar bits in a song that sounds completely different
not the first time either

Yeah, I hear the Holy Joe thing, and it's kinda runied my appreciation for NLOTH2 forever probably, 'cause I was quite appalled when I realised where that riff sounded familiar.

I've heard people say it's the riff from the Fly, from Ultraviolet, and now Holy Joe?

It can't be all three folks?

I think what some of you are hearing is the same key as the Fly and strumming pattern, but that's it... That's not "self referencing".

how do you hear the fly?maybe the rhytm.
fly has 3 chords in verses (E-A-D) and nloth 2 (E-G#)
if you look at it like that then nloth is also similar to ultra violet(E-A-D-A?). not sure about the last one in UV

Yeah I hear The Fly in the album version of the song but hey thats no bad thing. The Fly has to be one of the best U2 songs ever! I'd rather hear them using bits from The Fly than Peace On Earth any day!:D

i have determined this morning that NLOTH is one of the coolest songs U2 has ever made.

Has anyone else noticed the riff from Holy Joe in the chorus and the the riff from The Fly in the verse?

Good call, glad to hear someone else hears Holy Joe in the chorus riff! I thought I was hearing that from the day NLOTH was released, but told myself I was imagining it. Yet, we are not imagining it, it's definitely Holy Joe.

As for The Fly... while it sounds extremely close, I think there is one subtle difference, and that is the NLTOH version of the riff stays basically within the same two notes during the main part of the verses, back and forward between two notes. This also does not take into account the sharp chord change during the verse, just the riff.

Whereas Fly uses those two notes in the same way, but also drops down to the lowest octave A and E notes you can play on a guitar, at various times during the main riff. NLOTH does not do this, it sticks to the two main notes of the riffs.

Strictly speaking, NLOTH is also a bit different because its main riff 'appears' to be played as a power chord in a similar arrangement to the Fly riff. By definition therefore it's a different riff, because it incorporates subtly mixed power chords, whereas The Fly's riff is pure one string Hendrix-like lead guitar.

That's my take anyway.

But yes, Holy Joe for sure....
C'mon, c'mon, c'mon, c'mon, be good to me...
No, no line on the horizon... no-no line...

Starting when the back kicks in on the second verse, NLOTH does have a little buried riff in there very similar to the Fly's gigantic riff, but the underlying chord progression isn't the same at all.

I can't think of any other U2 songs that go from the I chord to a major IV chord. Anyone?

Not bored yet?

Hell no :hyper:

Tell me the chord progression they plagerized.

I want to see if you really know what you are talking about...

Read what ahittle and gnox have just said.

NLOTH does sound derivative of a few Achtung Baby tracks. I got the Fly, LWTSSH, Holy Joe references right away. This is not necessarily a bad thing. :shrug:

Yeah but for months we've had people say that a particular song on Bomb that I forget has the same chord structure as Wild Honey, well to my ears nothing on Bomb sounded like anything on ATYCLB. Now I can hear similarities between these songs on the new album. So why are these similarities ok but the supposed similarity on Bomb isn't? Plus I can hear elements of IGWSHA in the begining of Fez. Maybe it's me.

I said it once and I shall stick by it. I am a person who loves to be consistancy. I hate contradictions.

I am soooooooo happy right now and I shall tell you why in my next post :up:

Read what ahittle and gnox have just said.

And this is pretty much my point. If you're going to accuse someone of plagerism you should know what you are talking about...

Like ahittle said, it's not the same.

It's in the same key and has a very similar strumming pattern but that's it. That's not plagerism.

Back
Top Bottom