Image '08

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ahittle said:
You know what was pretty badass about AB-era U2? They didn't rush around trying to embrace every promotional opportunity that came along. You could call them aloof, but they definitely cultivated a stand-offish cool to deflate the earnestness of R&H. The front-loaded their sets with a good chunk of a brand new record. They followed up an experimental record with an even more experimental record and still got rich(er) in the process. They swore on television. They fucked with the president of the United States night after night.

Of course, it was all a con, and Bono will always be Bono. But they let the masses come to them and didn't act too desperate to be loved. And they released "The Fly" as their first single. Badass. They released "Lemon" as a single. Batshit crazy badass.

I'd like to see that again on the next go around. "Take us or leave us. This is what we're doing and we're not going to play a greatest hits show. We're not going to re-record singles to fit your narrow playlists. We're not going to do wacky tie-ins with the NBA. We're not going to produce lowest common denominator videos to suck up to the MTV demos."

I know all of this can be easily refuted and I'm not trying to start any arguments.

I'd like to see the rebirth of the cool.

Honest question, were you around when AB was released?

Re: Re: Re: Image '08

Irvine511 said:
is there anyone else of the opinion that if they had waited until fall of '97 and actually bothered to flesh out the ideas on Pop and then rehearsed and toured in 1998 that it would have been another smashing success?

100% :up:

Most, if not all of the single releases and re-worked live tracks are improvements of the album itself. If those were on the initial release, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now.

Re: Re: Image '08

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Yeah, I was 19. And I know that my statement was a grand generalization and completely open to criticism. And nothing is cheesier than playing along with the other guy from Wayne's World during a ZooTV link-up. Worse than the NBA or Super Bowl things? I don't know...

My definition of "cool" just fits a little better with that era. But you can't go home again, as it were.

AB is the best album to date from everything they have done. Edge has remarked that they felt so close to having that "great album" with AB that I hope this next album is what they are looking for.

Re: Re: Re: Image '08

ahittle said:

Yeah, I was 19. And I know that my statement was a grand generalization and completely open to criticism. And nothing is cheesier than playing along with the other guy from Wayne's World during a ZooTV link-up. Worse than the NBA or Super Bowl things? I don't know...

My definition of "cool" just fits a little better with that era. But you can't go home again, as it were.

So then you admit they did embrace the promotional machine just as much as they always have, it's just the mediums were different...

I have more positive expectations for this one than I have in a long, long time.

And I am basing this on the scant info that they have leaked to us. Still, I am hopeful for something great.

Regarding Pop, I have been listening to an audio rip from the DVD, and without the visuals, they were just great. They finally figured those songs out. Adam is my hero from PopMart.

My expectations are also high. These last two albums were nice but not great. Zooropa must also be considered as another great album.

U2 needs no promotion. You put that name on anything adn I'll buy it. Plus they do all their promotions with Four5One. Steve Averill probably hooks them up with all this free promotional items they dont need. They simply say yes cus he's done thier art direction since they started.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Image '08

BonoVoxSupastar said:

So then you admit they did embrace the promotional machine just as much as they always have, it's just the mediums were different...

Yeah. Different worlds though, you know?

gherman said:
Lets just say Paul McGuiness didn't think With or Without You would be a good single and tried to keep them from releasing it:eyebrow:

Really? That's crazy.

But, you know, when I heard that as a 15 year-old, I thought it was a really strange single myself. It really was like nothing else on the radio. But back in those days you could be a little more coy about how you released singles, especially on records that you knew you could work four, five, six singles deep.

But, the new rhetoric seems to be "we aren't pressured, we aren't on any timetable." That's tons better than the whole "reapplying for biggest band in the world."

That's reassuring.

artdirector said:
U2 needs no promotion. You put that name on anything adn I'll buy it. Plus they do all their promotions with Four5One. Steve Averill probably hooks them up with all this free promotional items they dont need. They simply say yes cus he's done thier art direction since they started.

They don't need it, but they sure work it. I read a recent article with Paul McG where he said that he feels like he needs to "break the band" with each new release. I think Iovine said something similar with ATYCLB. Ditto Bono saying nonsense like "this is really our first album."

Forget that bullshit.

Artdirector: and what does Edge think of a certain Joshua Tree ?

I think the two great albums (or close to great if you prefer) are JT and AB. On the other albums, either the focus was too much on the song collections or the album had a theme but not enough good songs. JT and AB are the perfect mix of the two ingredients to make it.

Promotion ? I don't think these days anyone can afford to say "Right, I'll just release this but I won't promote it." Even, or especially, if you're called U2. I like the attitude of having to work every album and knock on every door possible (they were reapplying for the job in 2000 as far as I am concerned). A little ambition never hurt, and it was certainly there with U2 from the start.

I personally don't care much for lines like "first album" or "metal from Mars" or "this band member is on fire" or "our best album yet" (regardless of which album this applies too), nor the commercials. I'm more interested in the 11/12 songs. That said all the "we're getting lost in the music, no pressure to release this" talk is bothering because they could be more descriptive about the music and - that just means they're giving themselves the license to release this in '09 or '10 if they won't feel ready.

I just wish for once they'd lock themselves in the studio, work for 6 months or a year straight, and just release whatever they got a little more low key. If they can get 10 songs in two weeks in Morocco, don't tell me they can't make 11 album songs in (half) a year.

I would love it if they locked themselves up, but they won't do it.

Reminds me of REM. Apparently they have a great new collection of straightforward rock songs that they debuted in Dublin a while back. The songs are done. Are they going to knock that shit out in the studio? No, they are going to take a break, lose their momentum, get back to the studio and fuss it to death. Bleah.

But you know, these folks have families and whatnot. Well, maybe not Stipe. How many kids does Edge have? Twenty or thirty?

Back in the day, when these bands had to record quickly, they produced some magical records.

They can but as said they need to lock themselfs up again.

Take time off from the family and just put those guys with Eno etc somewhere on the other side of the world and get on with it.

U2girl

Edge from interviews really likes the album but there are a few songs he felt they could have done better.

And as for GREAT albums, the JT was really good, but not great. Why you ask? Because JT was exploring a type of music already explored by others..elvis, bob dylan, etc. So they were not inventing something new. As AB, they invented a new sound that many artists copied and or tried to copy in the 90's. Also each song stood on its own. Each song could have been released as a single and I bet most would have made the Billboard Top 5.

So I say again, invent a new sound U2, and we will all be thankful for it.

Achtung Baby!

Wasn't AB about exploring the Euro music that was explored by the young and upcoming bands ?

Ahittle: interesting. I seem to remember reading Eno pushed for an album in 14 days (making 3 songs a day) when they made ATYCLB.

(says U2 by U2) Ground beneath her feet and Stateless were supposed to be on the album but others outvoted Bono.

No. It was about destroying JT. The bands in Euro WERE will looking for that sound. U2 found it for them.

Innovation these days, is most often only on ones own sound.
And furthermore it is usually only incorporating things not previously used by that artist. It's not reinventing the wheel.

So when people set up the strawman of U2 not inventing dance beats, sampling and distortion incorporated into rock, I think they are defaulting into an apologetic stance. U2 were revolutionizing their own sound, period.

Not every great band even has the balls to break free from the chains of white man rock. Look at Pearl Jam, perhaps the greatest American rock band of the last 15 years. Churning out the same formula for all of those 15 years. If they infused some electronica elements into their next album it would be hailed as experimental because they hadn't done it before. What the fuck has Radiohead done in the last ten years that is truly innovative? Nothing. No, but they are still amazing and they've taken the shackles of whitebread rock and tried to make it something newer for them. Something more interesting.

In the context of their own musical progression:
For U2, Acthung Baby was their Sgt. Pepper's and then some.
For U2 today, there are many more avenues to explore but that particular revolution for them is over. People aren't nostalgic for an Achtung sound. They are nostalgic for the Achtung mindset.

And what is the Achtung sound anyways?
It's something more interesting than pop songs.
It's something more intersting than vanilla rock songs.
Every song doesn't have uptempo dance beats.
Every song doesn't use the distorted vox or guitar.
It could be an acoustic album and have the strength of Achtung.
Whatever the fuck it is, it's better. More interesting. More enduring and makes for a better overall album.
So give us one of those, U2.

ahittle said:
You know what was pretty badass about AB-era U2? They didn't rush around trying to embrace every promotional opportunity that came along. You could call them aloof, but they definitely cultivated a stand-offish cool to deflate the earnestness of R&H. The front-loaded their sets with a good chunk of a brand new record. They followed up an experimental record with an even more experimental record and still got rich(er) in the process. They swore on television. They fucked with the president of the United States night after night.

Of course, it was all a con, and Bono will always be Bono. But they let the masses come to them and didn't act too desperate to be loved. And they released "The Fly" as their first single. Badass. They released "Lemon" as a single. Batshit crazy badass.

I'd like to see that again on the next go around. "Take us or leave us. This is what we're doing and we're not going to play a greatest hits show. We're not going to re-record singles to fit your narrow playlists. We're not going to do wacky tie-ins with the NBA. We're not going to produce lowest common denominator videos to suck up to the MTV demos."

I know all of this can be easily refuted and I'm not trying to start any arguments.

I'd like to see the rebirth of the cool.

Not a chance. Your living in cloud cuckoo land if you think that the U2 of today would turn down a chance to be on any kids TV programme to promote their latest hit record. 1991-1997 was when they couldn't give a fuc# about the pop kids but now thats all they fuc#ing think about!

Re: Re: Image '08

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Yep and they had very little exposure to the media especially in the UK. The first interview they did was just before the tour in February 1992 on the Mark Goodier Radio show which was a right hoot, Edge and Bono preferring to talk about "an Owl documentary on Radio 4". That was 3 months AFTER the album had been released.

Listen, folks-----The greatest thing the band can do for their image on this next album/tour/promo period is for Bono to stop wearing the damn sunglasses. If he wants to wear them on tour for the lights and his reactions, etc., that's fine. But for promo photos, interviews, album cover, etc., he needs to be sunglass-free this time around.

If we're going to get a new direction in U2's music, it's time for a new direction in Bono's style as well. Sure, he's changed the style of the sunglasses, added a cowboy hat there and there. But sunglass-free opens the door to so many possibilities---from soul-bearing to bad-ass.

:yes:

Utoo said:
Listen, folks-----The greatest thing the band can do for their image on this next album/tour/promo period is for Bono to stop wearing the damn sunglasses. If he wants to wear them on tour for the lights and his reactions, etc., that's fine. But for promo photos, interviews, album cover, etc., he needs to be sunglass-free this time around.

If we're going to get a new direction in U2's music, it's time for a new direction in Bono's style as well. Sure, he's changed the style of the sunglasses, added a cowboy hat there and there. But sunglass-free opens the door to so many possibilities---from soul-bearing to bad-ass.

:yes:

You know, I was thinking about this today as I was driving, listening to AB in my car. I used to think Bono in his shades were the coolest thing he could do, but I think getting rid of them would be a refreshing look. I think the most sincere and meaningful facial expression he's given on video was 'Please'. The looks he gives in those close ups are priceless and sans glasses.

One of my favorite parts of Zoo TV Sydney is during With or Without You when the makeup is all screwed up and he sings right into the crane operated camera, again no glasses. After so many pop songs and countless 'colors' of shades, whether Bulgari or whatever brand, it's almost become cliche and I don't feel any added power behind them except when he's in character as 'The Fly' or when he's trying to bounce all over the place to Discotheque or Mofo during Popmart.

I'm not saying he should not continue wearing them if it's clinical. But cosmetically, I'd rather see less of them nowadays. If the band tries to get away from the 'pop song kick' they've been on since ATYCLB, I'd like to see less glam in the glasses. It would be interesting to see if he drops them with the future album.

artdirector said:
As AB, they invented a new sound that many artists copied and or tried to copy in the 90's. Also each song stood on its own. Each song could have been released as a single and I bet most would have made the Billboard Top 5.

They released five and zero made the Billboard Top 5. Just noting that.

Joshua Tree is their masterpiece, IMO. best theme, best execution.

I have a feeling if the new album is completely different than the most recent, but sounds nothing like their 90's material, people still won't be satisfied.

It seems some are just hoping for Achtung Popropa pt2.

I hope U2 just be themselves and make the music they want to make, because that's much cooler to me than trying to rehash the past.

catlhere said:

It seems some are just hoping for Achtung
Popropa pt2.

Yep, I'm expecting a pretty major backlash when it comes out, no matter how different, interesting, or entertaining it is.

I hope U2 just be themselves and make the music they want to make, because that's much cooler to me than trying to rehash the past.

Agreed. :yes: Whether or not you like every album, each one has had its place and has been key to the overall development of the band's sound and the band themselves over time. They're all special at least for that, and I --"sheepishly"-- find it cool to see what they do with each next album if for nothing else than to see where the band are and may be going in the future.

Back
Top Bottom