If I Could Live My Life Again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dabiggestu2fan

Rock n' Roll Doggie
This is one of the song titlesfloating around that may be included in the next album. It is a song inspired by a very good Argentine poet. It kina seems interesting! I bet this one will be a ballad!

dabiggestu2fan said:
This is one of the song titlesfloating around that may be included in the next album. It is a song inspired by a very good Argentine poet.

I think I found the poem he mentions in case someone was looking for it or would like to read it to get an idea:

Instants by Jorge Luis Borges

If I were able to live my life anew,
In the next I would try to commit more errors.
I would not try to be so perfect, I would relax more.
I would be more foolish than I've been,
In fact, I would take few things seriously.
I would be less hygienic.
I would run more risks,
take more vacations,
contemplate more sunsets,
climb more mountains, swim more rivers.
I would go to more places where I've never been,
I would eat more ice cream and fewer beans,
I would have more real problems and less imaginary ones.

I was one of those people that lived sensibly and prolifically each minute of his life;
Of course I had moments of happiness.
If I could go back I would try
to have only good moments.

Because if you didn't know, of that is life made:
only of moments; Don't lose the now.

I was one of those that never
went anywhere without a thermometer,
a hot-water bottle,
an umbrella, and a parachute;
If I could live again, I would travel lighter.

If I could live again,
I would begin to walk barefoot from the beginning of spring
and I would continue barefoot until autumn ends.
I would take more cart rides,
contemplate more dawns,
and play with more children,
If I had another life ahead of me.

But already you see, I am 85,
and I know that I am dying.

And here's the Spanish original version I suppose:

Instantes (Jorge Luis Borges)
Si pudiera vivir nuevamente mi vida.
En la próxima, trataría de cometer mas errores.
No intentaría ser tan perfecto, me relajaría mas.
Sería mas tonto de lo que he sido,
de hecho tomaría muy pocas cosas con seriedad.
Sería menos higiénico, correría mas riesgos.
Haría mas viajes, contemplaría mas atardeceres,
subiría mas montañas, nadaría mas ríos.
Iría a mas lugares donde nunca he ido,
comería mas helados y menos habas.
Tendría mas problemas reales y menos imaginarios.

Yo fui una de esas personas que vivió sensata y prolíficamente
cada minuto de su vida.
Claro que tuve momentos de alegría, pero si pudiese volver atrás,
trataría de tener solamente buenos momentos.

Por si no lo saben, de eso está hecha la vida, solo de momentos.
No te pierdas el ahora.

Yo era uno de esos que nunca iba a ninguna parte, sin un termómetro,
una bolsa de agua caliente, un paraguas y un paracaídas.
Si pudiese volver a vivir, viajaría mas liviano.

Si pudiera volver a vivir, comenzaría a andar descalzo a principios de la primavera y seguirá así hasta concluir el otoño.
Daría mas vueltas en calesita, contemplaría mas amaneceres y jugaría con niños.
Si tuviera otra vez la vida por delante.

Pero ya ven, tengo 85 años y sé que me estoy muriendo.

Eazy-V said:
oh no... "Lead Me In The Way I Should Go", "You Can't Give Away Your Heart", "Love Is All We Have Left"... this is soul/knees territory...

Those are all titles/songs left over from Bomb-time or not too long after it, so they may have changed or be gone altogether by now.

I REALLY don't want that 404 beach clip showing up on any albums in the future. I'm tired of it already and I've listened to the clip about five times. It sounds like a Christian rock song. It's grating.

I dont think the lyrics or titles of songs are worth a shit to be honest..I think its all about drums.

a.

I think it's funny when people get so excited about a piece of a song they heard through a window over the sounds of waves crashing, wind over a cheap microphone, and the heavy breathing of the stalker recording it...

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I think it's funny when people get so excited about a piece of a song they heard through a window over the sounds of waves crashing, wind over a cheap microphone, and the heavy breathing of the stalker recording it...

if it excites people, so what? some people are dying to hear anything that they can, makes some feel like the album is closer and maybe some people like to hear the "early workings" even if it's barely audible.

the 2006 beach clips were fairly audible, though. I see no harm in people getting excited over that whatsoever. I thought it was pretty cool to hear the "early" version of Window in the Skies that those clips yielded.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

i think you may be getting a little too excited over the reaction to the clips :wink:

people are just excited because it's new material and we haven't been hearing much new material from U2 lately...it's nothing more than that...it's also fun to hear the little things and then maybe look back on those things when the songs are finished and see how the song took form

Maybe I wasn't clear in my post. Maybe I should have quoted the post I was really thinking about...

What I meant by "excited" are those that think they can actually tell the direction the band is going from one such recording...

i.e. "It sounds like a Christian rock song. It's grating."

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Maybe I wasn't clear in my post. Maybe I should have quoted the post I was really thinking about...

What I meant by "excited" are those that think they can actually tell the direction the band is going from one such recording...

i.e. "It sounds like a Christian rock song. It's grating."

oh, yes..i agree, in terms of the new album/sound is concerned...to assume a direction based on any of the clips we have heard is foolish...2006 is too distant and recent clips are bleak and incomplete...I don't think we can really be certain for sure until we listen to the album...or maybe if we get some sort of clip that is really substantial...

However I think maybe shart1780 was referring to clip404 specifically and not the new album's sound or U2's future direction in general...after all, clip404 is pretty complete, complete enough to judge at least at this point...

I am more interested in the Eno/Lanois work that they did in Morroco coming out on the new record, like the clips from the Lanois film. All of those seeemed really intersesting.

Still, I really hope "All my life" is on the record as well. It will be a big hit and win them a grammy; you need a couple commercial songs to get radioplay. I think it has great potential, plus Edge's guitar solo was :drool:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

spot on... couldnt believe the reaction to the irishteen clips.. no offence to him but they're nothing...

404 sounds like a boring Christian rock song. I can tell that from the clip. In the clips we have of songs like No Line On the Horizon they're not even audible. The HTDAAB clips were barely audible too.

But yeah, I stand by what I said about that All My Life song. I hope it's never on an album. I didn't like the beach clip that turned into WitS either, and my worries were justified when I heard WitS and hated it. Those songs were pretty easy to make out.

roy said:

Not to my ears :shrug:

Well, the beach clips were somewhat audible, but not audible enough to give me a very accurate idea of what the end result would be. They turned out pretty different for me.

The 400 clips are really clear though. You can actually hear a lot of what they're saying. I remember we'd try to decipher the Atomic Bomb clips lyrics and we didn't even come close because the sound was so garbled. Songs like 404 are waaayy more clear. On songs like 404 you can hear the melody perfectly and even sing along to the chrus if you want.

All my life was wasted when they didn't use it as the single for U2:18 instead of WITS.

U2girl said:
All my life was wasted when they didn't use it as the single for U2:18 instead of WITS.

I'm not sure we can fairly make that assessment without hearing it in it's full form, or if it's a huge single on the next album.

U2girl said:

Alternatively, you could argue that 'Window in the Skies' was wasted by putting it on U2:18 and not keeping it as a big single - a great song. I'm not keen on 'All My Life', so I would have happily seen it 'wasted' on U2:18.

PookaMacP said:

Alternatively, you could argue that 'Window in the Skies' was wasted by putting it on U2:18 and not keeping it as a big single - a great song.

Totally agree. :up:

WITS is :drool: :drool:

We heard both WITS and All my life in the beach clips, and vast majority of Interference raved about All my life. The solo alone would be worth it, plus it has a huge chorus that might make it a good single.
I like WITS, but I feel U2 did the same type of "we're borrowing off Beatles" pop song with OOTS much better, and Saints are coming was actualy a more succesful single. I doubt the same thing would happen had they gone with All my life instead.

Back
Top Bottom