I met Brian Eno today and...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't give a fig about the protest (a lot of naivete and disinformation on the whole conflict), but I do care about what Brian sez though about the album though! Good times ahead.:hyper:

I'm with you on this one. Easy to crticize Israel when Hamas (only half of the Palestinian Representation) spends three years, on and off, firing rockets at Israel, after Israel pulled out from Gaza, without retaliation, then of course hiding between the population, and then when things get to a boiling point, and Israel has to respond and defend, obviously there is going to be innocents in the line of fire. But anyway......Great Album coming that's what we all have in common at Interference and may that keep us from fighting among ourselves.

Pray For Peace on Earth....

I'm with you on this one. Easy to crticize Israel when Hamas (only half of the Palestinian Representation) spends three years, on and off, firing rockets at Israel, after Israel pulled out from Gaza, without retaliation, then of course hiding between the population, and then when things get to a boiling point, and Israel has to respond and defend, obviously there is going to be innocents in the line of fire. But anyway......Great Album coming that's what we all have in common at Interference and may that keep us from fighting among ourselves.

rockets flying,kids getting killed,world in crisis

"but anyway ......great album coming"

i :heart: your style

:applaud:

This is probably the first genuinely encouraging thing I've read about the new album to date. Gotta love Eno, man. Then again, I've always said the band does their absolute best work with Eno and Lanois, bar none and by a wide margin. Eno's resume speaks for his trustworthiness for me here.

All the better for absorbing cosmic alien beams of information directly into his brain.

I would take Eno's comments with a huge grain of salt. I personally don't really value the opinion of people who are that closely involved with a project that has spanned over 2 years. They are too wrapped up in the whole thing to have anything but a biased opinion of it. Of course he thinks its the greatest thing ever....he just spent 2 years slaving over something that probably started from next to nothing and metamorphosized into something thats pretty damn good. We will get a much better understanding about how good it is from people who weren't so closely involved: critics, other musicians, fans, our own ears, etc.

As it stands, Eno has basically said the very same thing about the last 3 albums....so again...take it with a grain of salt and understand who its coming from is all I'm saying.

I would take Eno's comments with a huge grain of salt. I personally don't really value the opinion of people who are that closely involved with a project that has spanned over 2 years. They are too wrapped up in the whole thing to have anything but a biased opinion of it. Of course he thinks its the greatest thing ever....he just spent 2 years slaving over something that probably started from next to nothing and metamorphosized into something thats pretty damn good. We will get a much better understanding about how good it is from people who weren't so closely involved: critics, other musicians, fans, our own ears, etc.

As it stands, Eno has basically said the very same thing about the last 3 albums....so again...take it with a grain of salt and understand who its coming from is all I'm saying.

I don't recall him saying that about attyclub (just that Stuck would be one of their most successful singles), which he only worked a bit on. And I certainly doubt he said that about Bomb or Pop, the latter of which he was pretty disappointed in (after Passengers, he was hoping that U2 would move in a direction that resembles Miss Sarajevo, YBL, and Slug, but he instead saw the band dancing around in a mirrorball as the Village People).

Really, this is the first time that Eno has been fully involved in a U2 album since OS1 (or Zooropa, depending on your definition).

If there's any doubt that Eno can be pessimistic (or at least cautionary) when he wants to be, this Eno commentary (not about U2) should erase that doubt: The World Question Center 2009.

I always imagined that if I saw someone famous I'd be too afraid that I was being over eager and it would just be a person that looked like them.

One time I swore I saw Jackie Chan :lol:

I don't put much stock into what Eno said. I mean, I'm sure he would have said the same thing about any of the albums he just finished. I doubt he would have said "yeah... ATYCLB is alright... you'll probably like it".

So I was out on the protest march from Hyde Park to the Israeli Embassy this afternoon, and as I look to my left who should be walking next to me but Brian himself! I said hello and remarked upon how great it was that so many people were out in protest despite the bitter cold..then I moved in for the kill!

"So...just how good is NLOTH then Brian?" And with a smile he said "Devastating! It's devastatingly brilliant!" I reacted with a happy grin and he went on to say "I can honestly say it's the best album they've ever done, and people will love it"

I didnt want to ask anything more as I didnt think the timing was in any way appropriate, so I just said "Excellent" and we went on to talk more for 10 minutes or so about the situation in Gaza as we walked on, then he said that he was going to move on through the crowds a little quicker so that he could get closer to the front. He said "Good talking to you and take care" and off he disappeared.

Yeah, I know that what he said about it being the best album they've ever done isn't the most original line, but it sounded good hearing it face to face from him!

That is so awesome Aardvark. :) I'd say you struck the absolute perfect balance of information gaining and showing great class.

:up:

Not to derail the thread or create drama, but do you honestly think that Isreal is the side that suffers from the criticism. If anything the majority of the time, its Isreal's point of view that gets coverage on the news, and its that same side that gets the most sympathy. I am not on any side of this conflict and I sympathize with both sides' casualties, I just wish there was more objectivity with the situation and less bias.

Getting back onto topic. Its awesome that you got to actually talk to Brian Eno and converse in a normal manner. I saw paul McGuinnes a while back but didn't get the courage to actually talk to him, he seemed busy at the time.

Not to derail the thread or create drama, but do you honestly think that Isreal is the side that suffers from the criticism. If anything the majority of the time, its Isreal's point of view that gets coverage on the news, and its that same side that gets the most sympathy. I am not on any side of this conflict and I sympathize with both sides' casualties, I just wish there was more objectivity with the situation and less bias.

Getting back onto topic. Its awesome that you got to actually talk to Brian Eno and converse in a normal manner. I saw paul McGuinnes a while back but didn't get the courage to actually talk to him, he seemed busy at the time.

When did he say Israel is critisized more than Hamas? He just said that the complaints against Israel are unfounded.

can we please not talk about those issues???? (Isreal and Gaza) There are places for such conversations and everyone will have their own opinion and each person will support one side or the other or non. But this is a U2 forum and in particular this part of the forum is for discussing the new album. Please go to political or foreign affairs forums for such discussions, I am sure there are tons on such topics such as wars and politics etc. Talking about such topics here will only create animosity amongst people with opposing views and detract from the actual topic of a new U2 album coming out soon. Could we please keep it on topic??????

BTW great story about meeting ENO! I would have been speechless if he was beside me! Thanks for sharing!

" Hey Eno can you call Bono up now. I wanna ask him about his views on the album ! "

Holy shit, dude! That is awesome that you bumped into him! And even more awesome that he said the album is devastatingly brilliant! :applaud: I don't care if it's hyperbole, at this point. I'll make up my own mind later anyway. But I do trust Eno's words more than anyone else's including all U2 members. He did do magic with Viva La Vida! :love:

But how cool that you should get to chat with him! Niiice.

No matter how much of a genius Brian Eno is, there is nothing he could do that would make Coldplay sound good in any way, shape or form.

Frankly I'm getting tired of all this "opinion as fact" bullshit. Are we all in 5th grade? Do we need to continually preface any statement we make with "in my opinion..."? Puleez. Sure, it's a strongly worded opinion, but it's music, so opinions are strong.

Back to the topic, sweet story. I would probably have been a little nosier and asked him whether he is going to be getting writing credits for this album...might have got some interesting stories out of that question... :evil:

"Devastatingly brilliant": how cool is that out of the mouth of the master himself. I can't wait to put the new cd on and play it at full volume.

I'm not going to get too excited by his words. Isn't it in Lanois and Eno's best interest for the album to be a massive success? Especially this album, since they now have songwriting credits? They are going to get more money if it sells well, right?

Back
Top Bottom