GOYB on Itunes Monday?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am surprised they're releasing a physical single at all in the UK- almost no shops actually sell them now (really only HMV) and they no longer count for chart sales. What have seen happening of late is the i-tunes release followed by a physical release some weeks later- it will be available illegally everywhere by Monday so why not put in on sale the same day?? there's nothing on Uk i-tunes for it though

CD single sales do count for the UK singles chart though

I would pay the $0.99 for a full quality version on monday morning, in a heartbeat!

I would actually wake up at 3:10 am EST and buy it if the rumours are true!!! :hyper:

The first single "Get On Your Boots" is scheduled to simultaneously go to iTunes and radio on Monday January 19th. (currently scheduled for 3:10am EST).

I would pay the $0.99 for a full quality version on monday morning, in a heartbeat!

I would actually wake up at 3:10 am EST and buy it if the rumours are true!!! :hyper:

3:10 EST was two hours ago, unless your current time is off, wouldn't you already be up then?

Well, iTunes files aren't protected anymore, right? So I guess someone who pre-orders could just share them with everyone.

The tracks still store information on who purchased them. Sharing iTunes tracks is a bad idea.

Remember there's a new pricing policy for iTunes. You might end up paying more than $0.99. Still, I'd buy it, too.

CD single sales do count for the UK singles chart though

mmmm well I'm sure I read that they were going to make it a download only chart- but I may have mis-read the article- HMV is pretty much the only place that will still sell them- that said the Cheltenham HMV is quite a decent size but I don't recall seeing any cd singles in there for ages now

soooo....tripoli isnt on the new album :(
it sounded like it would be a kick ass song!

I have $30 left from a Christmas iTunes gift card... hell, I might pre-order the most expensive version of NLOTH that I can get with it... on top of the $80 edition coming in the mail via Amazon.

Colour me insane. I am.

However... LET'S CRASH ITUNES!

Maybe they should try to get $1.49 or $1.99 on iTunes to test demand at a new iTunes price point? It would be worth the risk:

Blue Crackheads likely to pay more for early access - I would. Free MP3 or support the band? I'll pay.

Newer / moderate fans might equate a higher price with a better tune -- i.e. more quality.

Why not try it -- at some point $.99 tunes will get past a buck, seems like a golden opportunity to test the market: a long awaited new U2 song at a new price point.

Especailly for the three weeks or so -- then go back to $.99.

Well, iTunes files aren't protected anymore, right? So I guess someone who pre-orders could just share them with everyone.

iTunes Plus files aren't totally unprotected. Your iTunes/Apple account information is still logged into the file. However your are able to play the file on non-Apple devices that support mp4 audio as well as having the superior audio quality (256kbps compared to 128kbps). They say its DRM-free because DRM is to do with the number of devices it is on etc.

Last edited:
I have $30 left from a Christmas iTunes gift card... hell, I might pre-order the most expensive version of NLOTH that I can get with it... on top of the $80 edition coming in the mail via Amazon.

Colour me insane. I am.

However... LET'S CRASH ITUNES!

Same w/me. Whatever I have left in gift cards will be used to pre order all the NLOTH material.

If true, I am very happy they have decided to make GOYB available in some form on monday with the radio release. Still deciding whether or not to get up early and search for it on the radio.

I just got an XM radio, does anyone know what stations would be most likely to give it a few plays? As for regular radio, I am assuming classic rock and mix type stations will be best.

mmmm well I'm sure I read that they were going to make it a download only chart- but I may have mis-read the article- HMV is pretty much the only place that will still sell them- that said the Cheltenham HMV is quite a decent size but I don't recall seeing any cd singles in there for ages now

There was a radio station, who's chart countdown is the download chart. The official chart has cd single sales

HOWEVER the number one selling cd single is only enough to get into the top 15 in the chart

I've never bought anything from iTunes in my life, but I may have to on Sunday night/early Monday morning if the leaks aren't favorable.

Then I'll re-import the track and good times will be had by all. :happy:

iTunes Plus files aren't totally unprotected. Your iTunes/Apple account information is still logged into the file. However your are able to play the file on non-Apple devices that support mp4 audio as well as having the superior audio quality (256kbps compared to 128kbps). They say its DRM-free because DRM is to do with the number of devices it is on etc.

They're not protected, they're just watermarked. And that's easy to remove with QuickTime Pro.

Making available as a digital download less than two weeks before the album comes out doesn't make much sense. In the past U2 have released their singles to radio two months in advance of the album's release and releasing a CD version soon after. It seems this time around though everything is later than usual. I would gladly pay 99cents on Monday to be able to download it from itunes or amazon. I hope they reconsider and capitalize on the buzz the new single will generate. The album might leak by mid-february anyway like the last two albums have. I remember when Vertigo was released on itunes as a single it was the top selling single up unti that point.

I think it's a safe bet it'll be on iTunes on Monday. A whole lot of people will be trying to get a good rip and it's a no brainer to try and capitalize on it. There'll probably be an album preorder option as well.

At least I still have more than $1.69 left, can't wait to press the "BUY" button. :hyper:

I think it's a safe bet it'll be on iTunes on Monday. A whole lot of people will be trying to get a good rip and it's a no brainer to try and capitalize on it. There'll probably be an album preorder option as well.

The only thing that makes me doubt it will be on iTunes Monday is the reports that the track will be delivered to radio stations at 8AM by secure digital connection. Why go to all that trouble and expense if it's going to be on iTunes at the same time.

Still, once it hit's radio it's going to be all over the net. It would be stupid not to try to profit from a digital download.

Itunes plus is excellent quality, so if it's in Plus, I'll definitely buy it. Otherwise, I might just wait a month; it's not worth paying a dollar for something that's crap quality.

Yep, plus the max price is supposed to be $1.29, so only 30 cents more at the most.

At this point, I'd pay about 75 bucks for one of the CDs the label reps are carrying around.

You're kidding me? They're going to bump up their prices? :angry:

Back
Top Bottom