Early physical single vinyl release of SOI? Photos inside

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Again, congrats to danondorf. It's every record collectors dream to walk into a record store, find some unique, rare pressing that no one's heard of (by your favorite band no less) and buy it for peanuts only to find out later it's worth something. This has taught me to not be so skeptical of everything, sometimes you find a gem!

On an interesting side note: went into my local Indie store in Ireland on Monday to ask on the off chance that they got the test pressing in. The guy laughed, knew nothing about it, and then said he had just signed a petition to blacklist upcoming U2 releases and wouldn't be stocking SOI as a protest against the release method!! Sounded like a UK/Ireland wide petition!

Well, I guess business is really good for indie stores that they don't need to cater to the masses. The digital age is over hyped anyway. :)

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

God, I'd love to have this.

It doesn't have that awful cover.

It's on one LP instead of three sides...what's with that, anyway? It's 49 minutes and fits on a single LP. It's clearly divided into two sides, too, with Volcano being the start of side 2.

But most importantly it doesn't have that awful cover.

Just got my copy at Looney's in LI around 11:15am..Needless to say I paid an extremely looney price for 1 record. I called ahead at 10am before going (I'm about a 30 min drive) and the manager/owner said he had them in stock and "couldn't tell me how many he had left."
When I got there, he said he had the last copy left which he was originally gonna keep for himself, but since I called ahead he "gave" it to me. He said there were about 25 fans waiting for the store to open at 10...He increased the price of it to 59.99 as he was well was aware of the ebay prices.
Special Thanks to danondorf and U2BROTHR for their information.

...He increased the price of it to 59.99 as he was well was aware of the ebay prices.

Great that he gave you the last copy he was saving for himself, but given his escalating sale price, hopefully that's the last time his shop gets any exclusive deals.

No surprise that current copies on ebay are mostly if not all from LI with the one ending tonight shipping right from the front steps of Looney's....:hmm:

Yeah... I've been really bummed about this, too. I live so close to two Amoebas. Berkeley got 7 copies. SF got 13. I could have either gotten a rare relic, or enough money to pay for two weeks of childcare. I got the major sadz.

I disagree that they should have made more copies, because that would make them less special. And one other thing I've been thinking, which many probably won't like, is how this was U2's "master plan" for the album, all along. They have been implying that they don't care about awards anymore. To me, this 1) colors my view of how they wrote the album and 2) They did this not for fans, but for themselves. So they could be eligible for those awards. Hope they win a Grammy or 2.

I just called around in Toronto and got no leads on Toronto information.

I think Amoeba had a bunch as they also sold some online as well......

I'm so excited to get mine!

I disagree that they should have made more copies, because that would make them less special. And one other thing I've been thinking, which many probably won't like, is how this was U2's "master plan" for the album, all along. They have been implying that they don't care about awards anymore. To me, this 1) colors my view of how they wrote the album and 2) They did this not for fans, but for themselves. So they could be eligible for those awards. Hope they win a Grammy or 2.
I wouldn't be surprised if that was the plan. Would be great if they won another Grammy.

Again, congrats to danondorf. It's every record collectors dream to walk into a record store, find some unique, rare pressing that no one's heard of (by your favorite band no less) and buy it for peanuts only to find out later it's worth something. This has taught me to not be so skeptical of everything, sometimes you find a gem!

My dream is to walk into somewhere and find u2:3 collecting dust somewhere in a pile of records.

Great that he gave you the last copy he was saving for himself, but given his escalating sale price, hopefully that's the last time his shop gets any exclusive deals.

I wasn't so sold on there being 25 fan's waiting at opening either. Regardless of the circumstances, I do appreciate him for selling me a copy.

And people wonder why these small stores have almost vanished...it is only because of these kind of practices. These habits are not found in all record shops but in way too many.

Karma is a bitch.

Back
Top Bottom