Don't believe the hype? - NLOTH General Album Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pitchfork will give it 0.3/10
Metacritic will give it 55 out of 100

Who gives flying pooh if it sells or is received by the critics

When you have had success, people get jealous - they become an easy target

If i like it then thats all that matters - i'm used to liking album panned by the critics!

And i'd be happy if i got some tickets too!

I love how some people are already writing U2 off or hailing them as musical geniuses based on ONE single.

C'mon guys, are you serious?

Do you really think that the song quality of Get On Your Boots is completely indicative of the rest of the album? Do you really think its the BEST song on the album? C'mon now. Lets be real here.

Was the song quality of The Fly completely indicative of the rest of the songs on Achtung Baby? Its was like the 6th or 7th best song on that album...if not lower.

Before we jump to massive conclusions the size of the Grand Canyon, lets take a step back and either look back at their history of releasing singles and calm down, or just wait for the album release so we can judge it for what it is.

Its abundantly clear from the Q and Rolling Stone articles as well as interviews with the band that there are some really amazing songs on the album, none of which are Get On Your Boots. I think its pretty safe to say that they just released this song in the same way they released The Fly...to fuck up the mainstream a little bit and throw off the scent of the fans and music world who thought they had U2 figured out.

As it stands right now...they are not washed up nor are they musical geniuses based on ONE song.

I love how some people are already writing U2 off or hailing them as musical geniuses based on ONE single.

C'mon guys, are you serious?

Do you really think that the song quality of Get On Your Boots is completely indicative of the rest of the album? Do you really think its the BEST song on the album? C'mon now. Lets be real here.

Was the song quality of The Fly completely indicative of the rest of the songs on Achtung Baby? Its was like the 6th or 7th best song on that album...if not lower.

Before we jump to massive conclusions the size of the Grand Canyon, lets take a step back and either look back at their history of releasing singles and calm down, or just wait for the album release so we can judge it for what it is.

Its abundantly clear from the Q and Rolling Stone articles as well as interviews with the band that there are some really amazing songs on the album, none of which are Get On Your Boots. I think its pretty safe to say that they just released this song in the same way they released The Fly...to fuck up the mainstream a little bit and throw off the scent of the fans and music world who thought they had U2 figured out.

As it stands right now...they are not washed up nor are they musical geniuses based on ONE song.

Couldn´t have put it any better myself

i see the future......everyone dies at the age of 1000.

Thank God that's in the future. Because I don't want to live to be 1000.

Maybe in the future, they can halt the aging process somewhere between 17-30, when most of us are in our peak years, yet age hasn't added extra pounds and wrinkles, while taking away skin elasticity. When our teeth don't need to be whitened and our eyes don't need surgery. When men have more hair on their heads than their backs and where women don't have to worry about a five o'clock shadow. A time after we have had our teenage acne, but before adult onset acne sets in. If you can trap me in that time, then maybe I'd be willing to live a little longer. But 1000 years? Only if it meant exploring other worlds.

But back to U2...

It is impressive that U2 can create a song like GOYB. Even if one feels it's nothing more than "Vertigo - Part 2", it's still a rocking track with many layers. And the best part is that U2 can pull it off without sounding like men desperately trying to recapture their youth. This one facet may be why U2 still sells millions of albums along with having successful tours, while other "older" artists release an album that is nothing more than a mere blip on the charts, but creates a reason for a tour. While I have no idea how well NLOTH will sell, given that U2's least selling album in the last 20 years still sold 1.5 million copies in the U.S. and 6-7 million copies worldwide, I think U2's found something. Many other long-time artists like Madonna, Paul McCartney, Springsteen, REM, INXS, Billy Joel, etc., have all seen a drop at some point in time (and in some cases, they never recovered from that drop). U2's ability to produce something different that stands out amongst the crowd, while still looking reasonably cool doing it, is one reason for their endurance.

Please… fuck up the mainstream? Do you realise how hilarious the majority of the globe would find that? They’ve spent plenty of time getting into bed with the mainstream of late, but not much more. Boots is no different. It’s an okay song, a vast improvement over Vertigo (although Vertigo pt.II is likely what the casual listener will hear it as) but it’s not even close to U2’s mid-level of quality. It’s decent and interesting enough to create a wave around the music world (and there is an explosion of debate over it on dozens of other forums, and I’m sorry, the majority of reviews are negative), but it’s not U2 back on track. Not yet.

It is impressive that U2 can create a song like GOYB. Even if one feels it's nothing more than "Vertigo - Part 2", it's still a rocking track with many layers. And the best part is that U2 can pull it off without sounding like men desperately trying to recapture their youth. This one facet may be why U2 still sells millions of albums along with having successful tours, while other "older" artists release an album that is nothing more than a mere blip on the charts, but creates a reason for a tour. While I have no idea how well NLOTH will sell, given that U2's least selling album in the last 20 years still sold 1.5 million copies in the U.S. and 6-7 million copies worldwide, I think U2's found something. Many other long-time artists like Madonna, Paul McCartney, Springsteen, REM, INXS, Billy Joel, etc., have all seen a drop at some point in time (and in some cases, they never recovered from that drop). U2's ability to produce something different that stands out amongst the crowd, while still looking reasonably cool doing it, is one reason for their endurance.

word

Please… fuck up the mainstream? Do you realise how hilarious the majority of the globe would find that? They’ve spent plenty of time getting into bed with the mainstream of late, but not much more. Boots is no different. It’s an okay song, a vast improvement over Vertigo (although Vertigo pt.II is likely what the casual listener will hear it as) but it’s not even close to U2’s mid-level of quality. It’s decent and interesting enough to create a wave around the music world (and there is an explosion of debate over it on dozens of other forums, and I’m sorry, the majority of reviews are negative), but it’s not U2 back on track. Not yet.

In the end, with the number of years they have been around, and the number of Genres and styles they have had, they are bound to release something that people aren't going to like (be that as individual people, or the populus in general). I couldn't give a flying fuck if people don't get Boots. Its a different thing for them, in 15 years will probably looked back on very fondly.

For anyone to say that the alst two albums are crap is just plain stupid. A band with the back catalogue of U2 ARE BOUND TO PLAY SOMETHING IN A STYLE YOU DON'T LIKE, BUT THAT DOESN'T MAKE IT CRAP. (thats not directed at you earnie)

Problem is, people here are prepared to put modern U2 into this little box, and dismiss it. Fine, do it on your own time. U2's 'crap' is still 50 times better than 99% of the music out there.

So you are able to speak for the majority of the globe now? What are you Santa Clause? Because he's the only person I know that can travel around the globe with such efficiency.

You forget that because of U2's extensive catalogue of songs and sounds that their music is played on a variety of music stations with different genres. So yes....fuck up the MAINSTREAM...because there aren't too many bands that have that broad audience.

As for you last comment...maybe you should reread my other post concerning the notion that ONE song can determine whether or not a band is washed up or is back.

I think The Fly was the best song on Achtung.......

HA!

riiiiiiight. :wink:

^And that's your opinion.

The last sentence is not, considering he's merely relaying information re: the dozens of Boots debates around the net.

And yes, the initial reviews have been poor. Doesn't mean shit to me personally, but it doesn't bode well for sales.

Whoooaaaaa what the fuc#! 6th or 7th best from Achtung Baby????? Me needs to sit down and absorb that ridiculous statement about probably the best song U2 have EVER done. In fact, its not probably, but IS the best song they have ever done. Are u on drugs. The Fly is a superb song from their best album. The best song on the album. What 5 tracks are better than the fly from AB? I'm not bothered that it was the first single, that means FA to me.

I agree about the statements regarding basing a single track on the quality of the album. Although I do think that GOYB is a good song its not anywhere near as good as The Fly and I'm pretty certain (having listened to the beach clips for a general idea) its not the best track on the album.

But the fly only being 6th or 7th best from AB???? Now thats just plain ridiculous!:lol:

With all due respect for your opinions, I do feel GOYB is unique and U2 are continuing to alter the mainstream.

And as a result, I think we'll see a new wave of songs from other artists sounding a bit similar to GOYB and other tracks from NLOTH in the future.

You rule man!!!!!!!!!:hug: you don't know how beautiful... ...your words are!!!:dancing:

Whoooaaaaa what the fuc#! 6th or 7th best from Achtung Baby????? Me needs to sit down and absorb that ridiculous statement about probably the best song U2 have EVER done. In fact, its not probably, but IS the best song they have ever done. Are u on drugs. The Fly is a superb song from their best album. The best song on the album. What 5 tracks are better than the fly from AB? I'm not bothered that it was the first single, that means FA to me.

I agree about the statements regarding basing a single track on the quality of the album. Although I do think that GOYB is a good song its not anywhere near as good as The Fly and I'm pretty certain (having listened to the beach clips for a general idea) its not the best track on the album.

But the fly only being 6th or 7th best from AB???? Now thats just plain ridiculous!:lol:

how can you state that it is, like its fact.

Watch Dead poet's Society, a poem cannot be graphed dude.

I would rank Zoo Station, EBTTRT, One, UTEOTW, MW, So Cruel, Acrobat, Ultraviolet AND Love is Blindness higher than the Fly

no other band on earth has their track record. you could hate Pop, you could hate Bomb, but can you deny that each album is an engaging listening experience with clear themes and statements of intents and purposes that are both new and yet consistent with the narrative set in place by Boy and translates into an thrilling live experience that's unmistakably a part of the U2 cannon?

i expect a new U2 album. i expect i'll like it very much. i expect to find 4-5 songs that will become a part of me. i expect to love the next show i attend. i expect to respect the work done, even if i prefer other past albums.

this is U2. there's a reason we're here. you might love to hate them now, or you might hate to love them, or you might just love them. but you can't not have an opinion on them, and the reason why you have an opinion is because they give you so much content. they will not be ignored.

:up::up::up:

OMG
Music is subjective mate.
Maybe that's news to you I guess.

Cheers

how can you state that it is, like its fact.

Watch Dead poet's Society, a poem cannot be graphed dude.

I would rank Zoo Station, EBTTRT, One, UTEOTW, MW, So Cruel, Acrobat, Ultraviolet AND Love is Blindness higher than the Fly

This is strange. If you read the original posters comment which I quoted

"Was the song quality of The Fly completely indicative of the rest of the songs on Achtung Baby? Its was like the 6th or 7th best song on that album...if not lower."

His words and he is stating it as a fact also. So before pulling me up on my statement then you should also do the same with his. Oh hang on, no you haven't cos you agree with him!:huh:

So you are able to speak for the majority of the globe now? What are you Santa Clause? Because he's the only person I know that can travel around the globe with such efficiency.

You forget that because of U2's extensive catalogue of songs and sounds that their music is played on a variety of music stations with different genres. So yes....fuck up the MAINSTREAM...because there aren't too many bands that have that broad audience.

As for you last comment...maybe you should reread my other post concerning the notion that ONE song can determine whether or not a band is washed up or is back.

HA!

riiiiiiight. :wink:

I think that he is dead right. We can like everything U2 does, and we can have our opinion about it. But if you look around and see what the "alternative" scene is saying than you will see that U2 is not really liked very much in last 10 years or so.

And don't tell us that it's just because they are old or big - this scene respects Bruce, Dylan, Bowie, Stones etc. But somehow they just can't swallow U2.

Wherever I go to forums - mainstream or alternative people are dissing U2. People who love TV on the radio, Animal collective are dissing U2, and also people who love Linkin Park or Beyonce diss U2...

Plese give me one link to some forum where people are mostly praising U2 and this new song....

And "fuck up the mainstream" really worked only on Zooropa, but in reality they didn't really fuck up the mainstream with that record in terms of sales (LP and singles both), and it showed clearly with POP. I don't think that POP "floped" comercialy (for U2 standards at least) because people didn't like the record, but mostly because a lot of old and casual fans were turned of by zooropa and it's strange sound.

By the way I adore Zooropa :)

This is strange. If you read the original posters comment which I quoted

"Was the song quality of The Fly completely indicative of the rest of the songs on Achtung Baby? Its was like the 6th or 7th best song on that album...if not lower."

His words and he is stating it as a fact also. So before pulling me up on my statement then you should also do the same with his. Oh hang on, no you haven't cos you agree with him!:huh:

No, i dont agree with the way he said it. At least with his, he posed a question, and by answering it, opinion is implied in his quote.

You were stating it like anyone who disagreed was a moron and didn't deserve to be breathing, let alone having an opinion on U2's music.

I just think everyone here is WAY too quick to judge this song. You can have an initial reaction whether you like it or dont, or whatever, but all this shit people are saying about them being a crap band now, they've lost it, this album will be crap, all of it is just fucking stupid.

I think that he is dead right. We can like everything U2 does, and we can have our opinion about it. But if you look around and see what the "alternative" scene is saying than you will see that U2 is not really liked very much in last 10 years or so.

And don't tell us that it's just because they are old or big - this scene respects Bruce, Dylan, Bowie, Stones etc. But somehow they just can't swallow U2.

Wherever I go to forums - mainstream or alternative people are dissing U2. People who love TV on the radio, Animal collective are dissing U2, and also people who love Linkin Park or Beyonce diss U2...

Plese give me one link to some forum where people are mostly praising U2 and this new song....

And "fuck up the mainstream" really worked only on Zooropa, but in reality they didn't really fuck up the mainstream with that record in terms of sales (LP and singles both), and it showed clearly with POP. I don't think that POP "floped" comercialy (for U2 standards at least) because people didn't like the record, but mostly because a lot of old and casual fans were turned of by zooropa and it's strange sound.

By the way I adore Zooropa :)

Bruce, Dylan, Stones, and other you cited are not mainstream anymore. The problem with persons that don't like U2 is cause they are mainstream. I know, this sounds stupid, but based on what I saw last years, that's exactly it.
When I talk with casual music listeners they don't seem to have a problem at all with U2. A lot of my friends that listen to "what's on the radio" liked Vertigo and some even talked that they thought it was so cool "this bunch of old guys doing such a good song." I remember girls I know talking how beautiful Sometimes was.
But when I talk to music fans, who have consolidated tastes and musical opinions, the ones that don't like U2, HATE U2. In the last years (00's onwards) a consensus started: mainstream is shit. Some of those people can't deal with U2 cause it's mainsteam. They can't deal with a good mainstream band. Same happens with Coldplay. I'm not trying to say these people are narrow-minded, it's something that happens with us for some reason. Probably happened to you, when you're listening to ATYCLB and for some reason you skip BD. Or when that obscure band you love gets famous, that weird feel. It happens. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so. Of couse, most people don't have that and listen to U2 with no problem, but a bad opinion stands out in the middle of good ones and like I said, it seems that those that don't like U2 in this group, hate it. That's why it seems there's so much hate towards U2.

I hope I made myself clear. :D:D

Back
Top Bottom