Could this album be played in its entirety live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

david

ONE love, blood, life
I could see it being played in its entirety.. With the exception of Fez, that could just be piped in through speakers.

You'd lose a lot of cool vocal harmonizing, much like a Police concert (which is still badass, of course)

No. if they are not capable of acrobat live you can bet that some songs will be "lost"

well you could play on an accoustic guitar odd course

The album could be played in its entirety when U2 decide to bring in additional musicians...
......we do have Terry Lawless playing the keys under the stage, but why not bring additional musicians on stage in a section of the shows....

No. if they are not capable of acrobat live you can bet that some songs will be "lost"

well you could play on an accoustic guitar odd course

I agree. I see many of these songs being difficult for them to play live unless they get stripped down considerably. If they do end up playing most live then they better sure as heck bring out Acrobat which as you noted they never could play well enough live. Interestingly they also had trouble playing Wild Horses and UltraViolet live though they did do so on occassion. If those songs were difficult for them then many of these will be also.

I don't think they will play White as Snow, Fez, or Cedars of Lebanon.

White As Snow seems practically tailor made for an acoustic performance on the B-stage. Bono/Edge

I doubt it.
But that would rock.
(If they go that route, I hope they play the whole album straight through. I've seen a live performance of Brian Wilson's SMiLE handled this way, and it rocked.)
This would be my ideal concert setup:
Opening: A piped-in version of FEZ with some crazy Zoo TV stuff going on on-stage could open the concert, followed by a few hits from the '80s and '00s. Stuff like "Vertigo", "Pride (In The Name Of Love)", "Where The Streets Have No Name"...you get the picture. (Don't worry, the '90s get an encore all to themselves!)
Main Concert: NLOTH in its entirety. Being Born could be played as its own song if FEZ was piped in as the concert opener. No honest-to-god "B-stage set", per se, but a few songs (probably WAS and Cedars) would be best as stripped-down acoustic versions. This would probably require a considerable underworld, and, perhaps, Eno and Lanois on-stage.
Encore One: Similar to Vertigo's Zoo TV encores, with, perhaps, a few other '90s songs mixed in ("Last Night On Earth" and "HMTMKMKM" being good candidates.)
Encore Two: U2 tends to close their concerts on a quiet note, so perhaps a few songs from their "mellower" new album would fit the bill. Besides, crazy fans like us would appreciate the preview!
What do you think?

They will probably debut every song on the album at the beginning of the tour and ditch those that have less reaction or the ones they feel they can't do justice to.

I doubt it.
But that would rock.
(If they go that route, I hope they play the whole album straight through. I've seen a live performance of Brian Wilson's SMiLE handled this way, and it rocked.)
This would be my ideal concert setup:
Opening: A piped-in version of FEZ (or something from the next album, a la "Zooropa"'s role in Zoo TV) could open the concert, followed by a few hits.
Main Concert: NLOTH in its entirety. No honest-to-god "B-stage set", per se, but a few songs (probably WAS and Cedars) would be best as stripped-down acoustic versions. This would probably require a considerable underworld, and, perhaps, Eno and Lanois on-stage.
Encore One: Similar to Vertigo's Zoo TV encores, with, perhaps, a few other 90s songs mixed in ("Last Night On Earth" and "HMTMKMKM" being good candidates.)
Encore Two: U2 tends to close their concerts on a quiet note, so perhaps a few songs from their "mellower" new album would fit the bill. Besides, crazy fans like us would appreciate the preview!
What do you think?

I don't think U2 would play songs from an album that isn't out yet, and I think they would have some more time yet. They do play 2 hours. I'm sooo sick of One! But otherwise I'd like to see something like this! Open with the 11 new songs; then come back and play the second half from the catalogue.

I don't think U2 would play songs from an album that isn't out yet, and I think they would have some more time yet. They do play 2 hours. I'm sooo sick of One! But otherwise I'd like to see something like this! Open with the 11 new songs; then come back and play the second half from the catalogue.
Didn't they open Zoo TV with a piped-in version of Zooropa? I'm not saying new songs are anything near likely on this tour, just that there's a slim possibility...
I like your idea, though. An hour (more or less) of new stuff and an hour of old stuff would be perfect! :hyper::hyper::hyper:

I think they could play Fez/being born if they altered the first minute a bit.

I know it would never happen, but it would be completely awesome if they took Eno on tour. Him on synths and backup vocals would be amazing.

I agree. I see many of these songs being difficult for them to play live unless they get stripped down considerably. If they do end up playing most live then they better sure as heck bring out Acrobat which as you noted they never could play well enough live. Interestingly they also had trouble playing Wild Horses and UltraViolet live though they did do so on occassion. If those songs were difficult for them then many of these will be also.

Wild Horses was played on every concert of the first two legs of the Zoo TV tour, with a few acoustic renditions on the third leg, a handful of electric performances on the first two Vertigo legs, a handful of acoustic performances on the second and third Vertigo legs, and one odd quasi-electric improv performance at Honolulu, the last concert of the Vertigo Tour (fifth leg). It's definitely not that hard to play live if they have sequences and Edge playing something different with every appendage, something he's been doing (without complaining) since Zoo TV. The reason the electric version was dropped probably has more to do with them not being thrilled with the arrangement (or any arrangement). Ultraviolet is a odd little song - it was played more than occasionally during Zoo TV (almost every show through the end of the fourth leg), but Edge apparently can't remember his effects settings for the song. And Acrobat they've never played live not because they can't play it, but because it's "too dark". A nice little acoustic version was rehearsed at Hershey and sounded fine, though.

So, yeah, really, they 'can' play any song they want, if they want to, but a lot of things will be sequenced in, probably including some vocals. For Unknown Caller et cetera, they'd have to do something like they did with Lemon during the Zoo TV fifth leg... for the Edge/Eno vocal parts, they either sent Edge's voice through an echo, had Edge sing on top of pre-recorded Eno, or just sequenced it all in and had Edge lip-sync. The Sydney DVD suggests the latter, because at the very end, Bono is singing the "midnight is where the day begins" lines as they get ready to segue into WOWY, and the shot jumps to Edge who is 'singing' the same thing, even though Bono's voice is the only voice audible. It could have been a lip-syncing error on Edge's fault, or a mixing error (as Adelaide suggests, where Edge sings the same part and you can hear his voice).

It'd be interesting if they'd play something from the Linear soundtrack along with their new songs.

Anything to keep them from playing their tired greatest hits.

i doubt cedars will be played ever live. others will probably be stable in setlist, maybe dropping one or two in later stages

Didn't they open Zoo TV with a piped-in version of Zooropa? I'm not saying new songs are anything near likely on this tour, just that there's a slim possibility...
I like your idea, though. An hour (more or less) of new stuff and an hour of old stuff would be perfect! :hyper::hyper::hyper:

Only once Zooropa was released, I believe. And it then took them a while to start actually playing those songs. At first it was just Numb.

And Acrobat they've never played live not because they can't play it, but because it's "too dark". A nice little acoustic version was rehearsed at Hershey and sounded fine, though.

No true. Bono has allways said that Edge had nightmares playing this song live and that I why they didnt do it. the accoustic version was Bono on guitar alone so this hardly counts. I can not understand why Edge was never able to pull this off when someone who grew up with his guitarplaying is.:hmm:

For all those people who keep saying"but they could play Mofo so why not all the new stuff". that is completely different story. This record is much more difficult to produce live ad will take backuptracks, understageplaying etc to get it a bit close o the original. the problem with the new songs(if one mght dre to call it a problem) is that the songs are difficult to transant to a different version without losing the power of the original. I am exited to see how they will manage his because u2 have never been known for playing their more difficult stuff in a good way.Unforgettable fire anyone??
Trust me: UF is an easy song to arrange compared to some of the stuff on NLOTH when it commes to playing it live and even that they never quit managed unfortunately.

let the tour begin:hyper:

I think Cedars is one song that wouldn't work live. They might go with the alternate version of No Line to make the concert a little more exciting. Everything else would work fine.

Wild Horses was played on every concert of the first two legs of the Zoo TV tour, with a few acoustic renditions on the third leg, a handful of electric performances on the first two Vertigo legs, a handful of acoustic performances on the second and third Vertigo legs, and one odd quasi-electric improv performance at Honolulu, the last concert of the Vertigo Tour (fifth leg). It's definitely not that hard to play live if they have sequences and Edge playing something different with every appendage, something he's been doing (without complaining) since Zoo TV. The reason the electric version was dropped probably has more to do with them not being thrilled with the arrangement (or any arrangement). Ultraviolet is a odd little song - it was played more than occasionally during Zoo TV (almost every show through the end of the fourth leg), but Edge apparently can't remember his effects settings for the song. And Acrobat they've never played live not because they can't play it, but because it's "too dark". A nice little acoustic version was rehearsed at Hershey and sounded fine, though.
quote]

This post was a pleasure to read- very interesting. Why can't Dallas and Edge work out a new effect for Ultraviolet? It's a pretty lame excuse to not play one of their finest songs. Acrobat also frustrates me- who cares if it's dark? That's what I want to see and hear. In fact you could get a fascinating mini-set out of hypocrisy and emotional turbulence- Dirty Day, Acrobat, Exit and God Part II. And I loved the original version of WGTRYWH- why they had to tamper with it I don't know.

For the upcoming tour, they could return to a "Zoo TV" format of playing the first 5 or 6 songs in the set from the new album... they all bled well into each other, which I think would be very possible w/ this new album. Then bust out the glorious standards. Heck, they could even re-create the Zoo TV "classics" sequence if they wanted. The visual intros in Berlin were straight from the Zooropa leg... could it be a clue.

The real question will be which songs (post Achtung) will remain in the set and how Streets will be performed.

This post was a pleasure to read- very interesting. Why can't Dallas and Edge work out a new effect for Ultraviolet? It's a pretty lame excuse to not play one of their finest songs. Acrobat also frustrates me- who cares if it's dark? That's what I want to see and hear. In fact you could get a fascinating mini-set out of hypocrisy and emotional turbulence- Dirty Day, Acrobat, Exit and God Part II. And I loved the original version of WGTRYWH- why they had to tamper with it I don't know.

Edge did say that Ultraviolet was pretty difficult to play live to begin with... it's kind of a deceptively simple song, in lyrics and music, overall. But I think Edge and Dallas could easily figure it out if they wanted to, but they probably haven't cared enough about the song (it's a crying shame!) to try. I agree about Wild Horses, although the full electric version on the Vertigo Tour was every bit as amazing as the ZooTV version (maybe more). Check out this show.

The real question will be which songs (post Achtung) will remain in the set and how Streets will be performed.

Yes, good questions. I think the consensus here is in favour of Zooropa and Pop. I would certainly prefer a 90s- led setlist with fewer eighties songs (albeit with some surprises from that era- Exit, Wire and Two hearts beat As One being good candidates). I'd love to hear Lemon, Mofo and Discotheque again, along with Last Night On Earth.

Might the Streets question be rephrased to "if"? Do U2 need to play it now they have Magnificent? It has sounded flat on recent tours- I think they should be brave and drop it.

A little OT, but my guess is that they open with Magnificent. Imagine that slow steady beat pouding and pounding, then those guitar rev ups...then the whole band kicks in and Bono announces "I was born to be with you...:

Can't imagine a better opening.

For the upcoming tour, they could return to a "Zoo TV" format of playing the first 5 or 6 songs in the set from the new album... they all bled well into each other, which I think would be very possible w/ this new album. Then bust out the glorious standards. Heck, they could even re-create the Zoo TV "classics" sequence if they wanted. The visual intros in Berlin were straight from the Zooropa leg... could it be a clue.

This is a really good idea!
Sample No Zoo On The Horizon Setlist:
1) FEZ (Over the PA, with some crazy stuff happening on the screen - think the Zoo TV opening)
2) Magnificent
3) Get On Your Boots
4) Unknown Caller
5) No Line On The Horizon (I or II)
6) Breathe
7) I'll Go Crazy-->Kite
8) Streets
9) White As Snow (acoustic)
10) Cedars of Lebanon (acoustic)
11) City of Blinding Lights
12) One
13) Vertigo
14) Ultraviolet
15) The Fly

Encore One: POPmart Retro Set!
16) Discotheque
17) Last Night On Earth
18) Mofo
19) HMTMKMKM

Encore Two:
20) Stand Up Comedy
21) Moment of Surrender

please no cobl or vertigo on this tour

I will be curious to see what direction they take this tour.

I think they could definitely include
Dirty Day, Blue Room, Ground Beneath Her Feet, Last Night, Beautiful Day, Gone, Daddy's going to pay, The Fly

I think Streets might not be on this tour because originally they didn't want to play it on the last tour and only put it in at the last moment according to that interview with Kot. COBL/Vertigo will be on this tour for sure. I think (and hope) that they'll phase out the 80s songs and put in more 90s/2000s stuff. We already have some incredible DVDs of concerts with the 80s songs and they are starting to get tired now.

Electrical Storm is my biggest hope for this tour.

Back
Top Bottom