Cedars Of Lebanon appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There sounds like another verse is coming at 2:53-2:54. Bono starts to take a breath inward like when he is going to sing, but it just stops after a split second. Maybe It's a different noise, but I'm almost positive there was either a verse cut out or perhaps moved back a couple seconds to go immediately before the solo.

Has anybody else noticed how there is no bass on the return the call to home section?

That's a nic etrick that suddenyl creates a lot of space. When the bass comes back it sounds particularly powerful (a bit like in With or without you).

Just goes to show how subtle the production and performance are in this song.

I also hear the WOWY intro guitar part somewhere ...
This is song is really dark and i love it!

I love the "Return ... the call ... to home" part.

Oh so very haunting, the best part of the song. :up:

Is it just me who thinks this track is mixed very loud indeed? I regularly have to turn it down relative to the rest of the album :hmm:

^the S's really hurt my ear when I'm listening to the entire album at a louder volume. The only song that does this.

It took me a while to appreciate this track (always a good sign), but it really is possibly the best track on the album and certainly one of the best closers to any album I've heard in a while. The sample of Eno and Harold Budd just works so well, particularly with that little guitar/bass figure layered over the top at the start. And then there's the lyrics and the delivery and this:

From 3:36-3:46, right before Bono sings the last four lines, there's a little bass fill, that has a really funky/jazzy feeling to it, has a really great rhythm to it. One of my favorite moments on the record.

Absolutely my favourite moment on the record.

The drumming is just wonderful. It's great that such an ambient song can take such a great rocking drum performance. It steers the song away from trip-hop into more unique uncharted waters.

According to Lanois they were trying to reference Hendrix's drummer in this song.

Am I the only U2 fan who is also a Doctor Who fan, who has noticed that between the 3 min mark and for about ten seconds thereafter, the main, most famous part of the Doctor Who theme is very, very clearly referenced.

Make no mistake, like references to some of the bands U2 worships, and references to their own key moments, this is a deliberate reference to Doctor Who... probably by Brian Eno and maybe with The Edge's collaboration!

Unmistakeable.

Best closer of any U2 album is COL( better than studio version of LIB) for two reasons:

1. Bono's excellent vocal delivery
2. Edge's sublime guitar work that will further flourish in the live setting

I love Cedars of Lebanon.

It blew me away. everytime I listen to the album and COL finishes I have to make a deep breath and I think THIS IS BLOODY AMAZING!!!

His voice is great

Possibly the best opener since ... ever! In my top 4/5 on the album, it deserves much more appreciation. :up:

There sounds like another verse is coming at 2:53-2:54. Bono starts to take a breath inward like when he is going to sing, but it just stops after a split second. Maybe It's a different noise, but I'm almost positive there was either a verse cut out or perhaps moved back a couple seconds to go immediately before the solo.
Yeah I've heard it - clearer on headphones - he breathes in about to sing/say something then stops

Yeah I've heard it - clearer on headphones - he breathes in about to sing/say something then stops

Actually, in the whiteboard in the U2 videos, the comments for COL were something like "choose edit". So it could well be that some verses were edited out.

So maybe there's a 10 minute COL out there....

Who is "Emily"? I have to listen again, but I'm not hearing Emily when I listen. Truthfully this is my 2nd least favorite song at this point (Fez being the worst) but I am going to listen again and see if I get more out of it. Sometimes listening to other people's comments makes me see songs in a different light. It bothers me that there are these 2 songs I don't like in this wonderful album, so I want to try to appreciate them.

Does COL count as a song? I was wondering that today. Bono isn't really singing; it's more like a poem with music in the background. What do you all think?

Who is "Emily"? I have to listen again, but I'm not hearing Emily when I listen. Truthfully this is my 2nd least favorite song at this point (Fez being the worst) but I am going to listen again and see if I get more out of it. Sometimes listening to other people's comments makes me see songs in a different light. It bothers me that there are these 2 songs I don't like in this wonderful album, so I want to try to appreciate them.

I think the "Emily" is from some fan trying to decipher lyrics when the album first leaked. The phrase is actually "then we":

"Can't remember what then we did..."

I have become addicted to this song during the last few weeks. At first Breathe was my fave but now Cedars of Lebanon has taken its place. This song is pure gold, it really takes me to another place. Vocals are haunting and sensual at the same time (guess only Bono can do that), lyrics are amazing, drums are outstanding, and so is the bass. Edge´s subtle guitar playing is just perfect. Best arranged and best produced song on the album. Not sure if it will ever be played live though but soon we´ll see.

I love the mood of ceaders one of the most interesting and subtle songs U2 has made

Do i hear and infinite guitar in there too at 130 – 145 and then again at 250 - 308 - loving that

This song is pure gold, it really takes me to another place. Vocals are haunting and sensual at the same time (guess only Bono can do that), lyrics are amazing, drums are outstanding, and so is the bass. Edge´s subtle guitar playing is just perfect. Best arranged and best produced song on the album. Not sure if it will ever be played live though but soon we´ll see.

Agreed 100% mainly when you mention "guess only Bono can do that"
I have no doubts!:drool:

Cedars Of Lebanon is the best U2's closer. It's number 18 in my top 50 U2 songs.

"They’re (enemies) not there in the beginning but when your story ends
Gonna last with you longer than your friend" :up:

I had a thought while listening to Cedars of Lebanon tonight....imagine a duet with Tricky on this track live?

It's just sorta sounds like a Tricky vibe right now

Forgot to appreciate this one. :bow::bow::bow::bow:
COL was a real grower for me. Didn't like it that much in the beginning but I do love it now. I really like Bono's whispering voice. I think it's U2's best closer together with LIB and WUDM.

Forgot to appreciate this one. :bow::bow::bow::bow:
COL was a real grower for me. Didn't like it that much in the beginning but I do love it now. I really like Bono's whispering voice. I think it's U2's best closer together with LIB and WUDM.
Add Mothers Of The Disappeared and I agree. Cedars is a great song. The rythm section did an amazing job.

Back
Top Bottom