B-side to WITS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pentax

The Fly
Correct me if i'm wrong but is this song is going to be a single release at the beginging of Jan' if so, what do you think will be
the b-side?

I hope it's not a dance version:no:. My guess is Thank you for
the day.

__________ (Live from Milan 2005)

Please please please remember this post As i'm sure i'm right.

My money is on original of the species.

Given the OCEANS of songs U2 have, it is rather pathetic that their b-sides have become almost non-existent. In the JT, R&H and AB era, there were remixes, there were covers, but there were also new songs. It was a nice mix. Here was a chance for U2 to release a cover song, but not on their album. Here was a chance to have a fun remix. And here was a chance to hear some solid material that might not have quite good enough for the album.

But after AB, that came to a screeching halt. There are a few new songs, but hardly at the pace they came back then. And it boggles my mind. Why not release a "Mercy"? Why not release something that's good, but not quite perfect? It's a b-side, fans will be appreciative. People adored the '87 "Sweetest Thing" even though it was rough.

Yet despite my rant, I'm positive that Headache and Coach are right - the b-side will be a live version of some song most likely found on the album. I'll go one step further and say it'll be something off that special U2.com Communications CD. :tsk:

Canadiens1160 said:
It's not going to be Mercy, so here's a preemptive STFU.

Since this notion has been discussed previously...and still may be discussed in this thread...how about not telling other members to Shut The Fuck Up? Oh, and if you have some other meaning for that acronym ready to throw out there, should you have been called out on the true meaning...well-played, but I won't buy it.

Re: Re: B-side to WITS

Sicy said:

No need for the :reject: ! I love remixes too! Sometimes, just sometimes, I like the remixes more than the album track! :reject:

But I'd like more than just live versions or remixes. I think the perfect CD single has the album track and radio edit (if there is one), a new b-side, a remix or two and, if so desired, a live song or two. Cover songs can also be substituted. :yes:

B-sides that are only live songs (that most fans have) or are only remixes (see "Mysterious Ways" CD :tsk: ) are a bit much.

Oh, and I'm not saying I want "Mercy" as the b-side. I'm just using that as an example of a song that's pretty much completed but maybe not "perfect" or "good enough" for an album release. Here's a chance to release some of that work as a b-side and keep fans happy (and also spark interest in CD single sales - one of the many reasons CD singles sales have decreased is that it's not very interesting to buy it!).

Lastly, to reiterate, I agree with everyone else - either it's something right off of the U2.com Communications CD (so much for our special CD!) or the audio from one of the Milan DVD tracks.

Last edited:
Yeah, sorry to say but as of late that's all they do. Live tracks from pormart mexico, elevation boston, vertigo milan. C'mon! the all time low point for me was the All because of you 3 track, a man and a woman acoustic???? they just left out larry. it's exactly the same as the album . ugh!!!

C'mon U2, lets see some bsides dammit!!!
Give us the wanderer with bono on vocals at least!!!!!! Tower of song!!!!!!!! Mercy!!!!! If the bside is a live track from milan i will be pissed!!!!!

Bonochick said:

Since this notion has been discussed previously...and still may be discussed in this thread...how about not telling other members to Shut The Fuck Up? Oh, and if you have some other meaning for that acronym ready to throw out there, should you have been called out on the true meaning...well-played, but I won't buy it.
It's not going to be Mercy, so here's a preemptive, "Sarah, that's fucking unpossible."

Canadiens1160 said:
It's not going to be Mercy, so here's a preemptive, "Sarah, that's fucking unpossible."

You're pushing it with the unpossible.

but's its all good!

"Seals That Fold Underwear."

Duh. :tsk:

Yeah, my bet's on a live track, most likely from the Vertigo Tour (though nicer if from another tour). What makes a new song less likely is that it's not a single off a real album.

I think there is no question that this will have a live track or two on the B-side. Sweetest Thing and Electrical Storm had this. Electrical Storm also had remixes of New York.

If they follow the Electrical Storm method, I'd like to see the Boy trilogy from Chicago Vertigo put out as one track (as Bad-"40"-Streets was). This is my favorite part of the Chicago DVD.

Re: Re: Re: B-side to WITS

doctorwho said:
No need for the :reject: ! I love remixes too! Sometimes, just sometimes, I like the remixes more than the album track! :reject:

Me too. But i know I'm in the minority so I try not to say it too loud.

I agree with the good doctor here.

lately U2's singles/bsides have been very disappointing. tons of live/remixed tracks with little to no original material. and its not like they dont have plenty of material they could have released, just look at the Unreleased and Rare tracks on itunes.

Of course, that may be the reason U2 hasn't released original material as bsides lately. They knew they could stick them as part of the Itunes package and force their hardcore fans to spend 150 bucks to get them, instead of just a couple bucks on various singles.

"Mercy...

Not just an Irish dream...not just an American Dream...

but a Canadien dream...

CANADA!!! CANADA!!! CANADA!!!"

Screwtape2 said:
Considering Rubin wasn't a fan of the beach clips, I wouldn't be surprised to see one end up as the b-side.

He wasn't? One of the beach clips wound up as his produced track....

Hypothesis I see:

1. Live track(s) from Vertigo Tour

2. A new track (since three it was reported that U2 recorded 3 songs along with Rubin)

3. Smile (since it was recuperated as a bonus track for the compilation)

4. an official version of Mercy

5. remix(es) of track(s) from HTDAAB - (example: LAPOE |XYZ remix|)

6. An official studio version of Yahweh in acoustic mode

7. Original Of The Species (single version) (since it was a digital releasement only, here is an opportunity for a physical release of that wonderful version of a beautiful song)

trabantland said:
MD (Redanka Dub Mix)

I aint got it but have heard it and it's good.

I don't think this was ever officially released (there's an idea - if they must release remixes, make them something cool, like this!). But there was this video of the DJ playing the song. I made my own mp3 from that. It's a good mix, but not the best remix ever. Actually, it's more like another version of the song. I'd prefer to call it an alternate mix rather than a remix or dance mix.

Chizip said:
im hoping for a banjo version of WITS

:lol:

As much as I thought the banjo version of "Vertigo" was silly, I at least appreciated it for being so different and out there. If one can't do that on a b-side, then when? Save it for an album release? That's when we get crap like "One Step Closer". :no: What I'm saying is I'd rather have a silly banjo version of WITS than a bunch of live songs from Milan (when we already got them on the U2Communications CD and the DVD).

Chizip said:
I agree with the good doctor here.

lately U2's singles/bsides have been very disappointing. tons of live/remixed tracks with little to no original material. and its not like they dont have plenty of material they could have released, just look at the Unreleased and Rare tracks on itunes.

Of course, that may be the reason U2 hasn't released original material as bsides lately. They knew they could stick them as part of the Itunes package and force their hardcore fans to spend 150 bucks to get them, instead of just a couple bucks on various singles.

Thanks for agreeing. :up:

I was actually thinking the same thing you wrote in the second paragraph, but I'm willing to give U2 the benefit of the doubt here. Also, by having some new songs in the iTunes package, it became an enticement for fans who have some (or all) of the work to buy the collection. I view it as a regular CD box set. Fans have all the CD's or albums, so why buy the box set? Hence, some enticement is added. It's all marketing.

But it would be nice to throw some of those types of songs on as b-sides.

"Pop" gave us "Holy Joe", "Slow Dancing" (Bono version), "Two Shots of Happy...", and "North and South of the River" as new songs. The rest were remixes or live tracks. 5 CD singles, but 4 new songs.

ATYCLB gave us "Always" and 'Sumer Rain" and "Big Girls Are Best" (although that was a bit of a promotional item). Again, the rest were remixes or live tracks. So 4 CD singles and just 3 new songs.

HTDAAB gave us "Neon Lights" (remake), "Are You Gonna Wait Forever" and that's it! The rest were remixes or live tracks. One was a remixed live track ("Ave Maria" with Bono and Pavaroitt)!!! So again, 4 CD's but really just one new track and one remake!

U2 is really dropping on the new material on their b-sides.

Aygo said:
Hypothesis I see:

1. Live track(s) from Vertigo Tour

2. A new track (since three it was reported that U2 recorded 3 songs along with Rubin)

3. Smile (since it was recuperated as a bonus track for the compilation)

4. an official version of Mercy

5. remix(es) of track(s) from HTDAAB - (example: LAPOE |XYZ remix|)

6. An official studio version of Yahweh in acoustic mode

7. Original Of The Species (single version) (since it was a digital releasement only, here is an opportunity for a physical release of that wonderful version of a beautiful song)

Interesting list of possibilites there... I'm gonna bet on #1 along with most people

a new track or a version of Mercy would be nice...personally I think Mercy is album worthy and I'd love it to get played live (not that b-sides don't get played live, but it's a lot less likely), but perhaps the b-side route would be best for it, since all the people here that hate Mercy couldn't really complain if it was just a b-side, and at least it would get official release.

But it will probably be a live track or a dance remix :p

Back
Top Bottom