Bono Undergoes Surgery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Trust Edge to inject some humour into this situation, Bono promising his car etc while still under the influence! :lol: And I like the idea about having to chain him down!! :shifty: Thanks so much for posting!!! :hug:

Thanks so much for that, bonocomet! :up:Trust Edge to make a couple of jokey remarks. So comforting to see a member of the band talking about the situation.

Is it known yet how do it happen to him? Did he fall down or was it because of his long-lasting back problems?

In case anyone can't watch it due to restrictions or whatever here's a transcript of Edge's statement:

:edge::I'm right now in sunny New York City and I was until a few days ago getting myself ready to go on the road and then I out of the blue got this news that our fearless leader had done himself some serious damage and was heading to the hospital in Munich. So, I'm still in New York, the case is half-packed and unfortunately now I got the news today that he's not gonna be able to do anything physical for about eight weeks which knocks out the first part of this tour. I spoke to Bono immediately, like a few hours, after he came out of the operation but he was not making any sense, I can tell you, whatever he was on. He didn't remember any of the conversation which is a shame since he promised me his car and various other valubles, a few paintings, but anyway he claims not to remember that conversation but the next day we all managed to get him on the phone and he was really together and sounded great, even though he was clearly in shock about the implications of the injury. So it was good to hear him, back to himself, and we talked at length about what this meant and we're just dealing with it now.

He was in a fairly intense programme to be ready for the tour, so something in that preparation, maybe he just overdid it and hurt himself, maybe without realising it and it could've gotten worse. But luckily enough he did realize at a certain point, I think when he could no longer walk, that he actually needed to go to the doctor and thank God he did because by the time they got to see him and did the scans they realized that he'd actually got some fairly major damage. Had he not done anything about it, it could've actually been very serious and possibly permanent so it was well kind of, caught, I think. We were very relieved when we finally got the medical information that he had gone to the doctor when he did. I mean, he is really so into the moment, he was so looking forward to the tour, he's not somebody who ever really takes a look backwards or considers physical limitations. Those are very much of secondary importance to him, he's just about moving forward at speed. I was joking earlier on that this is probably the most rest he's had in decades, the few weeks after the operation. The other thing that we have to make sure is that he does follow the doctor's orders in terms of the programme of rehabilitation, because, knowing him again, he'll probably wanna take some shortcuts and get ahead of himself. But really from what I understand it's important that he does this in a really methodical way so we'll be there to chain him down if need be.

We wanna stress that this is not a cancellation of this tour it's postponement. We'll be back as soon as we possibly can, we will be back and it'll be bigger and better than ever. In a wierd way, it's probably good that this became evident before the tour started rather than halfway through the tour. So, being philosophical about it there's some positives to the way this thing happened. I guess sometime in August we'll be doing a pre-production period somewhere in Europe to open the tour in Turin.

We were working on a lot of new songs so I'm already back at work on song-writing and working on stuff for the next U2 record. We are intending to play some new songs live, which is something we've always planned to do and never got around to doing, for various reasons. So we're really excited about the idea of playing a couple of these new tunes in front of a U2 crowd and that'll give us a huge insight into how they're working, and make changes in the experience (?) the arrangement, the tempos, whatever. The ultimate proving ground of a tune is playing it live, so we have the benefit of playing a few of them ahead of recording them, which is gonna be great. When we do get back out there, we'll be absolutely in top condition and raring to go, so that's our focus now.

:love: Edge.

"Our fearless leader" :cute:

And yes: Chain him down if you need to. He must not rush things with rehab!

Good to hear how much they care for each other. Edge's message is kind of reassuring and he sounds confident about Bono's recovery which is a good thing.

:heart:Yep its really cute :) And I'd like to thank Edge for making us feel better about 'our fearless leader' :)
And, yes, chain him down if you have to, Edge! :heart:

Haha. Chain Bono down, you say?

Hey, I can do that. What kind of chains do ya want? Fuzzy pink ones? Black ones, white ones, long ones, short ones?

Ohcrap. I'm Dr. Suessing it, aren't I? But, but, but... it's for my -er, your entertainment!

Seriously, I'm glad he'll be all right.

Haha. Chain Bono down, you say?

Hey, I can do that. What kind of chains do ya want? Fuzzy pink ones? Black ones, white ones, long ones, short ones?
Haha, glad someone else mentioned the chains thing. I was gonna mention it, but didn't wanna get told off for B/Edge slash humour! :lmao:

Thank you so much for posting the interview! I admit, I had to laugh, when Edge said Bono promised him his car. And yes, Edge tie him down if that's what it takes for B to recover.

Back
Top Bottom