WHAT is Promenade about?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madonna's child

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
It's such a disconnected song, but my guess is sex. (Watch it be about nuclear war, or something serious like that. :eeklaugh: )

Opinions? Theories?

I think it's a love song. The way it starts out:

Earth sky sea and rain
Is she coming back again

indicates a strong attachment, as powerful as nature, to the "she" (probably Ali, right? ;)) that Bono is talking about.

Later:

And I like a firework explode
Roman candle lightning lights up the sky

Um, yeah. Okay. This part is probably about sex. :bono:

I see you stare into space
Have I got closer now behind the face?
Oh, tell me...
Charity, dance with me
Turn me around tonight

"Closer now behind the face" may refer to a new deepening of the relationship. Combined with the previous 2 passages, I'd say that it's like the consummation of a marriage.

So that's basically what "Promenade" is about, I think. So maybe it is about sex. But sex *and* love. We should all be so lucky. :love:

paxetaurora said:
I think it's a love song. The way it starts out:

Earth sky sea and rain
Is she coming back again

indicates a strong attachment, as powerful as nature, to the "she" (probably Ali, right? ;)) that Bono is talking about.

Later:

And I like a firework explode
Roman candle lightning lights up the sky

Um, yeah. Okay. This part is probably about sex. :bono:

I see you stare into space
Have I got closer now behind the face?
Oh, tell me...
Charity, dance with me
Turn me around tonight

"Closer now behind the face" may refer to a new deepening of the relationship. Combined with the previous 2 passages, I'd say that it's like the consummation of a marriage.

So that's basically what "Promenade" is about, I think. So maybe it is about sex. But sex *and* love. We should all be so lucky. :love:

I agree completely!

I agree with Paxetaurora- I see Promenade as a song about Bono's love for Ali. And regarding these lines: Up through spiral staircase / To the higher ground, I read somewhere that a spiral staircase leads to Bono and Ali's bedroom.

love and sex, that's what I thought. thanks for the opinions.

It is a beautiful song, so haunting.

madonna's child said:
It's such a disconnected song, but my guess is sex. (Watch it be about nuclear war, or something serious like that. :eeklaugh: )

how many bands can you really get confused between nuclear bombs and sex? gah, :heart: u2

Re: Re: WHAT is Promenade about?

Lilly said:

how many bands can you really get confused between nuclear bombs and sex? gah, :heart: u2

That's what I'm saying! lol. :rolleyes: :D

I love Promenade so very much. Anyway, it is a song Bono wrote for/about Ali/love. Not that there can't be more than one meaning to a U2 song. Ha! But when they were first married, Ali and Bono had a place in Bray, which is near Dublin. If you've ever been there, you really get the feel of the song - it's definitely a "seaside town." If I recall correctly, the house was a former lighthouse. And yes, there was a sort of skylight in the bedroom from which you could see the stars. (I'm got much of this from a book Bill Graham wrote, by the way. Heh heh. I only wish I had been in the bedroom.) Anyway, the song is gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. Fantastic imagery. ("And I, like a firework, explode" ... :yes: )

Promenade

Madonna's Child: Promenade was written in one night at Bono's house. Bono had a large round house on the seashore next to a boardwalk and amusement park. It was a holiday and the boardwalk and park were full of people and there were fireworks. Bono just wrote the lyrics as he watched all the activity. The home had a skylight and a spiral staircase which led to the bedroom.

It's "men of straw, snooker hall."

There could be whores hanging around said snooker hall, of course.

Back
Top Bottom