"War is over we don't need your help, America is making war at itself"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was about gunrelated violence. How gunrelated deaths make up for an above average national deathrate and when you add them all up they amount to the casualties of a one big friggin' war. That's why you have the snippets of NRA spokesman Charles Heston in the runup to BTBS and the images of a child finding the hidden gun of its parents. In Europe they varied it by condemning global arms trade where instead of the Heston snippet you hear a wailing voice, you see the names of the 5 permanent members of the UN security council followed by the sentence that says that they are the worlds biggest arms exporters.

Maybe it's the FBI "talking" to Lennon "..Hey,John WE don't need your help......." considering it came to light that they did keep a file on him and saw him as a threat to America.Just a thought....

^Lennon was accused of spying, right?
.......................I have still so many doubts about Chapman's true intention......I have the feeling there was a principal behind

No He wasn't accused of being a Spy but they kept tabs on him during the early-mid 70s because of his Leftist leanings. He hung out with the anti-war groups and some pretty radical Left wingers that the Goverenment didn't take kindly to- so they tried to kick him out the country for being an "undesirable" for a few years, but he fought and won the right to stay in New York.

Last edited:
babyman said:
^Lennon was accused of spying, right?
.......................I have still so many doubts about Chapman's true intention......I have the feeling there was a principal behind

If your into downloading torrents,goto torrentz (dot) com,search for I Killed John Lennon (353mb file).The program was aired on Channel 4 here in the UK to mark 25 years of Lennon's passing.It features Chapman's only (I think) interview from 1990 to a US journalist.It is an audio cassette interview and not visual,but it is still disturbing to listen to.It also gives a reconstruction leading up to.........

CPTLCTYGOOFBALL said:
No He wasn't accused of being a Spy but they kept tabs on him during the early-mid 70s because of his Leftist leanings. He hung out with the anti-war groups and some pretty radical Left wingers that the Goverenment didn't take kindly to- so they tried to kick him out the country for being an "undesirable" for a few years, but he fought and won the right to stay in New York.

That increases my thought that John's killing has strong relationships with politics.............Mark Chapman was just a puppet in the hands of someone staying in the shadow who pulled the strings

gmc said:

If your into downloading torrents,goto torrentz (dot) com,search for I Killed John Lennon (353mb file).The program was aired on Channel 4 here in the UK to mark 25 years of Lennon's passing.It features Chapman's only (I think) interview from 1990 to a US journalist.It is an audio cassette interview and not visual,but it is still disturbing to listen to.It also gives a reconstruction leading up to.........

Thanx, I'm gonna try it!

babyman said:

That increases my thought that John's killing has strong relationships with politics.............Mark Chapman was just a puppet in the hands of someone staying in the shadow who pulled the strings

this guy thinks you're on to something...

conspth.jpg

"war is over" is a reference to lennon's song Merry Xmas (war is over)... lennon was an avid anti-war campaigner in the states. there's no hidden meaning there.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

this guy thinks you're on to something...

conspth.jpg

"war is over" is a reference to lennon's song Merry Xmas (war is over)... lennon was an avid anti-war campaigner in the states. there's no hidden meaning there.

Yeah, in fact I'm not saying that there's a hidden message behind "war is over", but I'm making thoughts over "America is making war at itself" . And cos he refers to Lennon's assassination, I'm trying to share opinions about it, to see if I'm the only one who thinks that Chapman didn't act kept by his own will

Ps : I love that Mel Gibson's movie, thanx for the comparison! :wink:

what does Chapman and a conspiracy theory have anything to do with a U2 messageboard?? Is JFK and Oswald next??

Bono sang 'War is Over we dont need your help' as a reference to John Lennon and other anti war people being pushed out of the spotlight in the US because at the time (pre 9/11) the mainstream American thought was there were no enemies left in the world.

"America is Making war with itself" is a pretty straightforward statement saying that even IF there are no international enemies, Americans are killing themselves at rates and numbers high enough to be considered a war with itself.

Last edited:
Chapman was and is an obsessed fan of Lennon. He is also certifiably insane. I seriously doubt he was a patsy for a larger conspiracy.

I've always taken the speech about gun control and how America is, due to the proliferance of gun violence in this country, making war on itself.

HelloAngel said:
Chapman was and is an obsessed fan of Lennon. He is also certifiably insane. I seriously doubt he was a patsy for a larger conspiracy.

You are right on the button here!
Any 'conspiracy' organisation (whatever they be CIA, FBI etc) wouldn't put the whole 'plot' at risk by putting it into the hands of an insane, unpredictable oddball like Chapman.
Chapman acted alone and to this day doesn't realise what he's actually done.

HelloAngel said:
I've always taken the speech about gun control and how America is, due to the proliferance of gun violence in this country, making war on itself.

Another valid point.

I don't see that much complication in the line "America is making war on itself." Simply put, even as Americans, something we all share in common, we still feud with, fight, and kill each other, despite the fact that we as a nation also want to be the best. The line is just referring to gun related deaths and how it is all self-inflicted.

americas making war with itself. Post 11/9 this is a logical statement, America has caused war to be brought upon itself through disgusting foreign policy. but pre... america was still doin it,so there is an explanation. America has taken part in many wars that have been unnecessary, a lot of the time it has even helped finance these people in the past, such as Bin Laden

Even still, the Boston DVD version of Bullet is my favorite rant Bono has ever done on this song.

HelloAngel said:

I am not necessarily a conspiracy theorist . . . but I won't entirely rule it out, either.

But think about it . . . if you are gonna choose a patsy, wouldn't you want it to be someone whom no one would listen to if he started pointing fingers? Someone who could more easily be brushed off as a deranged lunatic?

I'm not making any accusations - - I'm just sayin' . . .

Miricale_Drug said:
americas making war with itself. Post 11/9 this is a logical statement, America has caused war to be brought upon itself through disgusting foreign policy. but pre... america was still doin it,so there is an explanation. America has taken part in many wars that have been unnecessary, a lot of the time it has even helped finance these people in the past, such as Bin Laden

Where are you from, Miracle_Drug?

GretzkyU2Yanks said:
"America is Making war with itself" is a pretty straightforward statement saying that even IF there are no international enemies, Americans are killing themselves at rates and numbers high enough to be considered a war with itself.
:yes: Which goes along with the "More bodybags than Vietnam" bit.

got2k9s said:

I am not necessarily a conspiracy theorist . . . but I won't entirely rule it out, either.

But think about it . . . if you are gonna choose a patsy, wouldn't you want it to be someone whom no one would listen to if he started pointing fingers? Someone who could more easily be brushed off as a deranged lunatic?

I'm not making any accusations - - I'm just sayin' . . .

This is exactly what in fact should not be underestimate........................

regardless of where you are from M_D, your view is completely wrong on what Bono was preaching about. Im not saying I agree or disagree with how you feel about US foreign policy and whether the US brought 9/11 upon themselves (I guess Londoners deserved the bomb attacks this summer also huh??). Either way it had NOTHING to do with Bono's rants. His rants were about US domestic affairs, the gun policies here, and the gun related violence.

GretzkyU2Yanks said:
Im not saying I agree or disagree with how you feel about US foreign policy and whether the US brought 9/11 upon themselves (I guess Londoners deserved the bomb attacks this summer also huh??).
I don't want to go into discussion about this subject (it would be entirely offtopic, too), but I just want to note that's not what Miricale_Drug said.

M_D in no way said that Americans deserved 9/11. He (or she?) did say that he/she believes that America brought this onto itself.

Again, I'm not going to discuss whether M_D is right in saying this, but let's get straight what was said and what not.

Back
Top Bottom