Walk On Interpretation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2fan42

The Fly
When I saw the video, I got the impression that it was promoting abandoning one's family when times get tough. Please tell me I'm wrong in this interpretation, because I just can't agree with it.

Quite the opposite, if you read interviews Bono has given on the subject.

I can't recall if it was something I read on U2.com, or elsewhere, but it was inspired by Aung San Suu Kyi, an imprisoned human rights activist who basically left her job (as a university professor?) and ultimately her family to stand up for a cause that she believed in. Bono was intrigued by this particular pull from family (his fascination with the temptation by darker pursuits is well-represented in the U2 catalog).

Ultimately it is a call to stick it out, hang in there, whether it be to a cause, a faith, a family or relationship.

After all, it's Walk ON, not Walk OFF!

; )

It is also in the liner notes that the song is dedicated to Aung San Suu Kyi.

At first, I thought the song referred to someone Bono knew who had died (packing a suitcase for a place none of us has been. - A place that has to be believed in order to be seen), so my interpretation of the song is more personal than political.

Three years ago my wife, at the age of 35, died of breast cancer - having to leave her husband and 3 young children behind. Sometimes, things happen in our lives that are beyond our control that can require us to leave our families behind. It makes a difference how we pack our 'suitcases' when we realize this. In these times, the courage to "Walk On" becomes essential. I find the song as an encouragement for me to stick with it despite all the heartache my children and I face. Ultimately, I know I will see her face again when I finally go home. In the mean time, I welcome Bono's encouragement to "Walk On".

------------------
And love is not the easy thing...
The only baggage you can bring
Is all that you can't leave behind

[This message has been edited by majxtc (edited 05-07-2001).]

[This message has been edited by majxtc (edited 05-07-2001).]

Back
Top Bottom