U2 lyrics that "bug ya"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
intedomine said:
and where is this proof?

In the writings of Latin historian of the early second century, Tacitus. Jesus is mentioned in the context of trouble in Judea in the reign of Tiberius Caesar (14-37 AD).

Exactly, historians have recorded evidence of Jesus' existence just like the recorded evidence of other people existing during his time. All of the apostles were real and have documented timelines, times of death, etc. by historians.

Last edited:
I personally wont deny the fact that their was a Jesus, and he was a real life man, but I have problems comprehending him as being the "christ".
:eyebrow:
and in the stories of christianity I find this story of the myrtred christ as being far fetched and just as likely as many of the stories of tribal stories and also this sounds like a story of malice on god's part.

whether he existed or not, lets get over his good deeds, and focus on more contemporary saviours......lets stop the dwelling

it's not just his deeds, it's his teachings that have affected the world more than anything else. Ever. That's not something you can just "get over".

To bring out some statistics, if we are not going to accept the proof for Jesus' existence, then Julius Caesar and nearly every other famous person from ancient history are even more mythological. The proof that Jesus and the apostles existed is some of the strongest in history.

anyway,
"and i threw away the key"
"the key to his kingdom coming"

what?? threw away the key to God's kingdom? is that what he's saying??? (if someone has a different interpretation, i really would like to know)
that line bugs me

Lines that make me cry:
"Sean and Julia, Gareth, Ann, and Breda
Their lives are bigger than
any big idea"--Peace on Earth

"Jara sang his song a weapon in the hands of love
his blood still cries out from the ground"
--"One Tree Hill"
(o gee, im crying already, theres others but i've got to stop now.):sad:

Jesus teachings, in my opinion, have probably had a detrimental effect on the world, whether his intent was for good or bad......

Hitler's teachings, as oppressive and brutal as they were, may have had a more positive effect than Jesus' teachings in retrospect, as after Hitler's reign of terror had ended, the world was becoming more aware of the true devastation racism and dictatorship can cause.

Now it is everyone's dream for a world without divide.....perhaps a dream we could never aim to realise for if it wasnt for Hitler's reign....

The thing about Jesus teachings (whether they existed or not), his representation of christianity spread the religion far and wide, causing more spite and division amongst religons, and ultimately, in some countries, christainity has become, tragically, a default religion....

The divisions and harm caused by SOME Christians around the world (crusades, inquisitions, etc.) were caused by people and not by anything Jesus taught. If you read all of Jesus' teachings in the Bible, nowhere does he advocate hatred, crusades, inquisitions or anyting of the kind. He advocates the opposite. He said that we should turn the other cheek if someone stikes us. If they ask for our coat, give it to them and give them our shirt too. The fact is, there are alot of messed up people in the world who will do harmful things in the name of Christianity or any other religion, but these don't change anything Jesus said. I could go around advocating hatred and destruction in the name of Jesus but this has absolutely nothing in common with his teachings.

If somebody still chooses to think that Jesus wasn't a real person, despite the historical evidence that he was, that is purely ignorance. That would be like me choosing not to believe that Alexander the Great or Julius Ceasar existed. You don't have to believe what he said, but he was a real person just like other founders of various religions such as Joseph Smith (Mormons) or Mohommad.

Last edited:
So am I ignorant?

I dont believe that he was the son of an unproven 'god' thing which people rave on monotoously about.

I dont see how his supposed mother mary, could be a virgin yet still have a child....

Some reckon joseph was his father, what about that other guy called god?

Theres too many inconsistentcies here, several farfetched stories about jesus, making it impossible to take any evidence of his existence seriously....

A man can't come back to life after such a long period......its all fairy tale....

Jesus may have existed, however his history has been distorted to show him in a more favourable, magical and supernatural light....

To clarify what I said: a man named Jesus was a real person who was just as real as you or me. You don't have to believe he was the Son of God, but denying that he was a real person is ignorance. I could deny that George W. Bush is a real person but that would be complete nonsense.

lov12113 said:
I could deny that George W. Bush is a real person but that would be complete nonsense.
Depends who you talk to. (Please forgive me, but I couldn't resist temptation.)

Back to the topic....

How do people feel about the "blind leading the blonde" line in IGWSHA? Are any blonde people here at all offended by this line? I found myself using this line in a humorous context, and later realized I said it to a blonde person. Do you think she was offended by it? If so, I wonder if others who've listened to this song are also?

Mofo has always kinda been a wierd song for me to understand. Bono claims the song is about his mother (or atleast some part of it) yet he also states that the title is short for the infamous expletive. Not sure how he could combine those two. Anyone care to enlighten me?

I have to say, I found this thread very entertaining - except when some went off on the "Jesus" tangent.
I know that the intention of this thread is different than what most posts have commented on, but i have to go with the flow here: "Look I gotta go, yeah I'm running out of change. There's a lot of things, if I could I'd rearrange" - a bit silly and forced here. PS - The Fly is one of my favorite songs ever too !

lov12113 said:
Mofo has always kinda been a wierd song for me to understand. Bono claims the song is about his mother (or atleast some part of it) yet he also states that the title is short for the infamous expletive. Not sure how he could combine those two. Anyone care to enlighten me?

It's very autobiographical. It's about him losing his mother and how music became her replacement in a way, his connection to her. Hence "mother suckin rock n roll". Rock n Roll became the breast of which this spoiled rock star suckled on. The title is very tongue n cheek poking fun at himself. He's calling himself the motherf##ker, it's not literal.

intedomine said:
Jesus teachings, in my opinion, have probably had a detrimental effect on the world, whether his intent was for good or bad......

Hitler's teachings, as oppressive and brutal as they were, may have had a more positive effect than Jesus' teachings in retrospect, as after Hitler's reign of terror had ended, the world was becoming more aware of the true devastation racism and dictatorship can cause.

Now it is everyone's dream for a world without divide.....perhaps a dream we could never aim to realise for if it wasnt for Hitler's reign....

The thing about Jesus teachings (whether they existed or not), his representation of christianity spread the religion far and wide, causing more spite and division amongst religons, and ultimately, in some countries, christainity has become, tragically, a default religion....

Well I wouldn't blame Jesus' teachings for the trouble, I would blame people who used his name for ill. For example, Jesus said to love your neighbor as yourself. Now if people throughout history who claimed to be followers of Jesus actually put that into practice, you wouldn't have had things like the inquisition, the crusades, and all the other terrible things that have happened in "his name", because if you love your neighbor, you're not torturing him, or killing him, or dropping bombs on him, or molesting his children are you?

That is but one example of how those who claimed to be Christians have done bad. Jesus taught love and peace, but these others ignored that all and set up their own religion that borrowed Jesus' name, and nothing more. If I were Jesus, I'd be mad with anger over the terrible things people have done in his name. People who really follow Jesus' teachings in every area of their lives don't kill, steal, or do things that hurt other people. They love peace, and do good things for the community, just like Jesus said to do.

MOFO! I deconstructed with a year 12 English class once when I was teaching, it was fantastic! The song is about Bono's search for identity as well as mourning the loss of his mother. By examining the lyrics we can see that Bono feels that a part of him never really grew up, and that he's a big kid with no-one to tell him to pull his horns in. Hence rock-and-roll has kind of become like family to him, especially his fellow band members. Mofo also talks of Bono's search for God, as it were.

However, this is just an author/text centered reading of MOFO. Other meanings that people make out of it are just as valid.

loving thy neighbour...existed before jesus "existed"....if jesus existed, he is just reinforcing one of the everyday things in life, pure respect...

intedomine said:
loving thy neighbour...existed before jesus "existed"....if jesus existed, he is just reinforcing one of the everyday things in life, pure respect...

And good on him! Now if only everyone subscribed to that one everyday thing in life:wink:

Jesus did advocate many social ideas such as "Love your neigbor as yourself" which existed before he preached them. However, he also said the only way to heaven is through Him and you must ask Him to forgive your sins. He also said that he was the Son of God. The bottom line is this: nobody can say these outrageous things without either being considered a complete lunatic or being considered to actually be telling the truth. I know which of these two I believe and it has to do with him actually telling the truth.

Many people like to ignore many of his teachings and focus only on the "Love your neighbor" social teachings. Many people say he was a "good man" or some kind of "social reformer." But if they would consider all of his teachings they would have to realize that He said enough outrageous things that he can either be right and actually be the Son of God or wrong, and a raving lunatic. There is no middle ground.

'Who's gonna ride your wild horses' has the worst lyrics in a U2 song. I was gutted when they released it as a single. I think they were taking the mickey at me when they did that.

new lyrics that bug me:

some people get squashed crossing the tracks
take this soul, stranded in some skin and bones
with a mouth full of teeth, you ate all your friends

yertle-the-turtle said:
I think I might probably miss the point but...

"take the money/honey"

must laugh.

"your eyes make a circle"

the eyes are two points on one straight line. it is technically impossible to make a circle.

I always thought the "you eyes make a circle" line was strange. Then I taught a kindergarten Sunday School class and we were drawing circles to represent God's love for us. God's love has no beginning and no end. The lyrics then made sense to me

Your eyes make a circle - I see you when I go in there....

I think Bono is saying that he feels his Mother's and/or God's endless love within the circle of no beginning and no end..

U2Kitten said:
new lyrics that bug me:

some people get squashed crossing the tracks
take this soul, stranded in some skin and bones
with a mouth full of teeth, you ate all your friends

I LOVE this lyric, when I first heard it I chuckled, now it creeps me out, but I still love it :wink:

Day and night
Why is it so
That this longing for you follows wherever I go
In the roaring traffic gloom
In the silence of my lonely room
I think of you
Night and day

Maybe it's just me but :yikes:

I bought the Steel String remix of this from iTunes so I've been listening to this a lot and some of the lyrics are kinda creepy.... :eeklaugh:

(yeah I know it's a cover)

"You can make me perfect <i>again</i>" from All Because of You. The "again" feels forced... :eek:

Back
Top Bottom