The Most Beautiful U2 Song Ever Written

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawk269

Acrobat
"All I Want Is You"

Like a whisper, it enters slowly, quietly, just like With or Without You. Short, sweet strums of Edge's guitar breaks a cold silence. Then Bono...he sounds like he is in a quiet room with a slight echo, but it feels like it is just you speaking to the one you are thinking about, and there is no one else around. It is both a prayer and a confession of love. It comes from a place of total sincerity and complete honesty.

He speaks about all the things that she *says* she wants and she *says* she will give him. She wants diamonds and her story to remain untold...probably a past that she does not want to speak of. He speaks of all these promises she is supposedly making, giving him eyes in a moon of blindness and a river in a time of dryness. All these promises that she is carrying with her, but will break in the end. But there is just one thing that matters to him in the end, something greater than all the *things* and empty promises in life. He is in a space, or state of mind where the only thing that matters is that he wants her, and only her. Everything else holds no meaning for him.

He wrote a song called "Be There" in the early 80's which said many of the same things. In that song he told her that she doesn't have to be anything other than herself for him. This time, though, it is like he has found the words to tell her how he feels in the most simple, beautiful way.

"All I Want Is You"

my interpretation of the song.

-AJ

i agree. i love AIWIY. have you ever seen the video? can somebody explain it to me? who do they bury at the end?

Originally posted by blood red edge:
i agree. i love AIWIY. have you ever seen the video? can somebody explain it to me? who do they bury at the end?

I don't think we'll ever know the answer to that one. *lol*

37 hugs and 49 licks on the nose to whoever figures that out!
biggrin.gif

BTW, I love the song as well.
smile.gif

------------------
"I Can Lose Myself, You I Can't Live Without"

I just love this song. The Edge is just masterful, the way he builds up slowly throughout the song and then just lets go at the end of the vocals! 1AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH I just swoon when I hear it !!

I find the video quite disturbing. I can't quite work it out.

I agree that the video is confusing. They want you to think that the guy is the one who died, but then they show him at the grave. I'm assuming that the woman's dead, then, even though I don't see how the scene of the guy falling off the trapeze fits. The only explanation I can think of is that the guy was supposed to die when he fell from the trapeze, but through some cosmic action the woman was able to give her life instead of his as a show of her love for him. Kind of far-fetched, but that's the only way I can think to tie the 2 scenes together. Any thoughts on the matter? (Also, the part where he throws the diamond ring onto her grave strikes me as particularly sad...it fits the song well.)

I read one interpretation of the video a long time ago. They suggested that he was the one who had died, and it was his spirit that we saw next to the grave, not him.
But it will forever remain a mystery I guess. I absolutely love Edge's guitar in this song! That and Bono's passion in the words- it makes me swoon...

Sometimes when it's late at night and I'm driving alone, I crank All I want. For some reason, I get really into it then. When Bono screams "all I want is you" with every ounce of his soul and Edge's heart bleeds through his guitar...it's the most powerful thing I've ever heard and the most powerful feeling I've ever known. Nearly breaks me down every time. Really makes me want to live.

------------------
Nothin' much to say I guess...just the same as all the rest

"pure u2 bliss"

Oh Zoorpamanda a truer word has never been spoken! When I was at the movies with my husband yeaterday there was a preview of "All the Pretty Horses" - suddenly All I Want is You fills the theatre - I grab my husband, shake his arm and whisper Bono, Bono, Bono !!!! (he is used to me now) It sounded so wonderful - yes it is pure bliss.
Heartland has the same effect on me!

I totally love "All I Want Is You." As a matter of fact, that was the one song my best friend wished they'd played when we saw them in concert (I wanted to hear that and I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For).

I'm glad someone brought up the disturbing video for the song. I just bought "The Best Of 1980-1990" video last week and that was the first time I'd ever seen the vid for AIWIY and my friends and I were thoroughly perplexed, baffled, scared, lol....

Can anyone decipher it???

tania

------------------
All I Want Is You (2)

I think one of the most beautiful songs U2 has written has to be "With or Without you"

------------------
Yeah you keep me holding on

All I Want is You holds a very special place in my heart forever cuz it was the very first song my husband and I danced to at our wedding.~~mushy~~

AIWIY...its an epic...gathering up to the tremendously emotive climax then slowly winding back to earth thru the beauty of the strings...a song u have to listen to the whole way thru.

Your Blue Room. How ironic that among all those great U2 songs, my favorite isn't actually a "U2 song!" Madness.

I have to agree with many in here who mentioned All I Want Is You, With or Without You, and even So Cruel as being some of U2's most beautiful songs. But I would have to go with Bad, I don't know why, but probably because in the midst of something as terrible as drug addiction, we hear in Bono's voice, Edge's guitar, Larry's drumming, and Adam's bass playing, a desperate pleading that makes for beauty and hope out of something so devastating.

Chris

Originally posted by AirBono:
...it's the most powerful thing I've ever heard and the most powerful feeling I've ever known. Nearly breaks me down every time. Really makes me want to live.

So true! Beautiful way of putting it. There is a street (no name that I know of coincidently) that I always drive on back home. It has an elevated part where during the night I feel like I'll launch into the stars when listening to AIWIY.

I love Promenade. The mood and lyrics are spot on for me. Also Heartland is a gorgeous song as well.

"She feels like water in my hand."

Oh stop it. I could go on so.

------------------
Rain from Heaven.

"Just look at our faces, yes, they say more than words. We're so lost in our problems. We're so lost in our world".

For most beautiful song, I would have to go with Running to Stand Still, it is so quietly beautiful. I love it.

Back
Top Bottom