MERGED: "Electrical Storm"+"Electrical Storm Lyrics"+"lyrics on U2.com&quot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raccoon

Babyface
Electrical Storm

So, what do you make of these lyrics?

You say it swells like a sore head
and the night, it is aching.
Two lovers lie with no sheets on their bed
and the day, it is breaking.
On rainy days, we go swimming out,
On rainy days, swimming in the sound,
On rainy days, we go swimming out.

You're in my mind, all of the time,
I know that's not enough.
If the sky can crack, there must be some way back
Through love and only love.

Come along! I won't let you back to sleep!
You kept awake, dreaming someone else's dream.
Coffee's cold, but it will get you through,
Compromise, that's nothing new to you.
Let's see colors that have never been seen,
Let's go to places no one else has been.

You're in my mind, all of the time,
I know that's not enough.
If the sky can crack, there must be some way back
To love and only love.

Electrical storm!
Electrical storm!
Electrical storm!
Baby, don't cry.

It's hot as hell, honey, in this room,
Sure hope the weather will break soon.
The air's heavy, heavy as a truck,
Hope the rain will wash away our bad luck.

The sky can crack, there must be some way back,
For love and only love.

Electrical storm!
Electrical storm!
Electrical storm!

Baby, don't cry!
Baby, don't cry!
Baby, don't cry!
Baby, don't cry!

I was just commenting with a friend that the lyrics seem to be written there...right from his house there at the south of France...that?s the first impression I got. I like it, still haven?t analysed it all well though.

:up:

This is so exciting to have a new U2 song to analyze! I have to do more pondering though. :)

Haven't done too much analysing yet. My brain isn't functioning well today. But I've been saying that a lot lately...er...kinda scary! Anyway, just have to say that I love this song. I've listened to it at least a dozen times around. woo-hoo for new U2!

The more and more I read and listen to the song, I get a "beautiful day" type vibe from it. There's alot of lost hope in the tune but also much redemption. I think this may be the closest thing to a U2 love song that has come along since "All I want is You". Perhaps that's what Bono is getting at - Love is an "Electrical Storm". Notice the lyrics that express a desire to just get out and go.

I can see many biblical references, also (which is no secret in U2 songs). It almost seems as if it's a mix between the layered lyrics of Pop and the simple musical structure of ATYCLB.

This one will keep readers guessing and making interpretations right and left I'm betting.

"Come along! I won't let you back to sleep!
You kept awake, dreaming someone else's dream.
Coffee's cold, but it will get you through,
Let's see colors that have never been seen,
Let's go to places no one else has been."

I'm loving that verse. Hints of "walk on" and "do you feel loved" are heard in my head.

- z -

The sea it swells, like a sore head
And the night, it is aching.
Two lovers lie, with no sheets on their bed
And the day, it is breaking.

On rainy days we go swimming out
On rainy days swimming in the sound

In my mind, all the time
I know that's not enough
If the sky can crack
There must be some way back
To love and only love

Car alarm, wont let you jump back to sleep
You kept awake, dreaming someone elses dream
Coffee is cold, but it will get you through

Let's see colors that have been never been seen
Let's go to places no one else has ever been

In my mind, all the time
I know it's not enough
If the sky can crack
To love and only love

Electrical storm
Electrical storm
Electrical storm
Baby don't cry

It's hot as hell, hot in this room
Sure hope the weather will break soon
The air is heavy, heavy as a truck
Hope the rain will wash away our bad luck

The sky can crack
For love and only love

Electrical storm
Electrical storm
Electrical storm

Baby don't cry
Baby don't cry
Baby don't cry
Baby don't cry

"The sea?" Whoops... my bad! I hope I got everything after the first two words correct, though.

One thing I noted: "...love and only love." It seems (at least to me) that it's "through" for the first chorus, "for" for the second, and "to" for the third. I might be imagining things/there might be a deeper meaning there.

It's something of a not-too-messy-love song... the lyrics seem to point towards the couple getting back together & returning to love... recovering from stormy times.

I like the "car alarm, won't let you jump back to sleep" bit... I can't wait to know the OFFICIAL lyrics lol

lyrics

Electrical Storm
----------------

The sea it swells like a sore head
And the night it is aching
Two lovers lie with no sheets on their bed
And the day it is breaking

On rainy days, swimming in the sound

You're in my mind all of the time
I know that's not enough
If the sky can crack
For love and only love

Car alarm ?? back to sleep
You're kept awake
Dreaming someone else's dream
Coffee's cold, but it'll get you through
Compromise - that's nothing new to you

Let's see colours that have never been seen
Let's go to places no one else has been

You're in my mind
All of the time
I know that's not enough
If the sky can crack
To love and only love

Electrical storm
Electrical storm
Electrical storm
Baby, don't cry

It's hot as hell, Honey, in this room

heeeey... heeeey.....

If the sky can crack
For love and only love

Electrical storm
Electrical storm
Electrical storm

Baby don't cry
Baby don't cry
Baby don't cry
Baby don't cry

dont' know the car alarm part yet but this should be close

Re: lyrics

Swan269 said:
Car alarm ?? back to sleep

sounds to me like "car alarm won't let ya back to sleep"

Overall I'd say the lyrics are pretty good.. but they feel kinda "ech" at some points. Lot's of potential, but they don't really seem finished to me. Like... the truck/luck bit seems a bit weak.

Zoocifer said:
Perhaps that's what Bono is getting at - Love is an "Electrical Storm". Notice the lyrics that express a desire to just get out and go. [/B]

I agree. Love is like an electrical storm- it's amazing and awe-inspiring but also potentially dangerous or harmful. But the lovers will get through the storm and find their way back to love and only love.

I can't really explain it, but the lyrics and the "Heyyyyyyyyy" wails in the middle of the song suggest something bigger than a love song. To me it suggests the emotional struggle (Electrical Storm) Bono went through with the passing of his father.

"If the sky can crack, there must be some way back..."

I can see how it can be about Bono's Father....

It's hot as hell, Honey, in this room

(my take)....it's kinda like "Something is about to give" the heat and heavy air is the tension and stress of knowing that someone is going to die. When someone is that sick all you want is a little mercy for the pain to end...you want that tension to break. As much as you don't want a loved one to die, you also don't want them to suffer. I think the storm his father's passing, if you will, while thunderstorms can be horrible and a bit scary, but afterwards usually it cuts the heat and humidity.

Does that make any sense?????? I'm not too good at putting my ideas into words.

My favorite line
l
l
l
l
l
V

The more I look at the lyrics, the more I believe it's about his dad's death. There are a lot of images and feelings that describe a son (Bono) waiting for his father to pass on.
Here are a few examples:
1. At a lot of the Elevation shows following his father's death, he would say that he made peace with his dad and his dad made peace with him. I clearly see this reference in the lines:

" Let's see colours that have never been seen/Let's go to places that no one else has been."

It's like they put the past behind them, made peace, and enjoyed the remaining time that they had together. They revisited their past memories and they saw them in a new light now that they had made "peace" with each other.

2. When some is about to die and you know they are going to, there is a tension in the air. The news of the death can come at any moment. You are not yourself and you're just getting by. It's like you're on survival mode. You go through the daily motions ( "Coffee is cold, but it will get you through) .

3. Your thoughts about your loved one all of the time and you know that there is nothing that you can do to help them live. You accept what is goig to happen.
" You're in my mind all of the time / I know that's not enough"

4. You wish for a peaceful passing. You want the suffering to end. :
"Sure hope the weather will break soon
The air is heavy, heavy as a truck,
Hope the rain will wash away our bad luck"

5. I totally agree about what others have said about the wailing in the middle the song. It could be a reference to the emotion he felt when his father did pass away. It makes sense.

6. At the end of the song someone is consoling someone. It could be Bono consoling someone, or Bob consoling Bono.
" Baby don't cry,
Baby don't cry,
Baby don't cry,
Baby don't cry."

7 I see a heaven reference, too.
"If the sky can crack, there must be some way back ( refering to heaven) for love and only love.

Well, I'm rambling......

Like I said in another post, I think it's "the air is heavy as a drug". Truck is just too cheezy.

I have a hard time with the first line, "the sea it swells like a sore head." Bono always has such great similies, but this one makes no sense. A swelled head is a metaphor for pride. But...a sore and swollen head? Maybe I'm too analytical here, but it just seems very cheezy and "un-Bono like".

Back to the original topic, I like the analysis of how the song is about Bono's father, and I agree with a lot of it. The part that throws a monkey wrench in is "two lovers lie with no sheets on their bed." Wonder what that line is supposed to mean?

I know, I'm too analytical! :coocoo:

Looks like we're all wrong:

From The Daily Telegraph:

Weller sings out, the rest stay silent
BY NEIL MCCORMICK

<snip>

U2 have recently recorded a new track, Electrical Storm, for a forthcoming
best-of. Bono says that, although it was his intention to write
about the aftermath of 9/11, it has turned out to be a love song. "It's about a
couple in a room, feeling a storm brewing in the sky
outside and equating that to the pressure they feel in their relationship. I
think it captures a sense of unease I feel around the world,
especially in America, an air of nervous anticipation. It's not an overtly
political song, but I don't think we could have written it before
what happened in New York."

I have always seen that first verse
The sea it swells like a sore head and the night it is aching....2 lovers lie with no sheets on their bed...and the day it is breaking"
as a comparison of the beginning of the storm..the sea becoming restless to the beginning of a storm brewing inside the bedroom. The sore head aches...like a headache....possibly the character returning home from a night of partying?...the lovers lie naked.....I actually love the 1st and 3rd verses of this song...the first verse setting up the storms in the bedroom and outside...and the last verse which suggests that the tension in the room is "hot as Hell" and the possiblity that the rain from the storm could metaphorially wash away their bad love....ie, redeem it. If only I didn't feel that that second verse was kind of awkward.

Back
Top Bottom