Is the song Exit loosely based on Executioner's song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dougal55

War Child
Hi!

Saw Rattle and Hum for the umpteenth time over the weekend and found Exit still as powerful as it was the first time I heard it at a cinema.

Made me remember vaguely an article some years ago saying that the song itself is loosely based on Executioner's song which was actually a book about Gary Gilmore which also became a film with Tommy Lee Jones (thought that film was excellent!)

So Im wondering if you U2 aficionados out there can confirm this to be true or not?

I have only heard Exit live twice during the Joshua Tree tour at Wembley and Edinburgh but havent heard it nor has it been played again since (im sure it hasnt been played on Lovetown tour, right?) so Id love to hear it live again as I feel its such a powerful song on a par with Bad, Streets and vice versa, dont you agree?

dougal

In a word..Yes. Exit had a working title of executioner's song at the time and Bono has said that it was certainly an influence on the song.

Thanks Tizer!

I thought it might have something to do with Gary Gilmore...

Anyway do you like the song on the album or when its played live?

I prefer the latter to be honest but found the original cut a bit difficult to listen to at the beginning of the song....

dougal

I would say so. I read the book not too long ago and I can see how the song came out of that book. It's a good book. Long but good.

Personally, I like live versions of it better. But I like live versions of most songs better.

Back
Top Bottom