God Part Dos...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonocrazy88

New Yorker
On God Part II, one lyric says:

I don't believe in forced entry,
I don't believe in rape.

I was wonderin'...does the first line, "forced entry" refer to rape, or something else, like the forced entry into your home? Cuz I thought it was the latter, because it's repeated; I didn't think they would say the same thing 2 ways like that, u know?

Any ideas?

I think it means forced entry into someone's home, sanctuary, whatever. Especially when you think of the next line:

"But every time she passes by
Wild thoughts escape"

I always got that he was fantacizing about breaking into her home and...so on. Sarcastically, I would imagine. ;)

my favorite U2 lyrics.

yes, writers do say the same thing twice like that. it's brilliant. it suggests not only rape, but any type of invasion or violation, whether it be physical or emotional or psychological. it's just my opinion, but i don't think, with this particular lyric, that bono is being so obvious as to suggest breaking into a home. i think it's deeper than that.

Right, well I always thought it was a nice play on words, but was a little more all encompassing than just breaking into someone's space. I think it's the idea of using force in general...

Well forced entry (I always thought it meant a break in into someone's house) does make sense with the rape following in the lyrics.

Last edited:
Kick arse song. the whole song is about stripped down raw human foibles and faults, instincts and desires etc. our primitive self. then what we end up. or become. or do. our actions. contrasting, juxtaposing. to me anyways...i agree it is figurative.

i might be looking into it too much...:hmm:

bonosgirl84 said:
my favorite U2 lyrics.

yes, writers do say the same thing twice like that. it's brilliant. it suggests not only rape, but any type of invasion or violation, whether it be physical or emotional or psychological.
:up:

Back
Top Bottom