Every Breaking Wave - figuring out the lyrics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
dan_smee, thank you for your take of the song. I've been listening to both versions we have on repeat for a while, I think he's still figuring the second stanza out, there are some changes, of course he can be mixing lyrics up, not unusual. Here is what I hear in Helsinki recording, what do you think?

Summer I was fearless STEPS
Now I'm speaking to an answer phone
And every SUMMER leaf on the breeze
Winter WON’T LEAVE IT ALONE

I've made the Helsinki version my gold standard since duscovering EBW. I think when I hear EBW album version, I will compare it to this 'original' in my head :lol:. The stripped down-ness is part of its melancholy and beauty, I think. Edge's clean arpeggio style at it's most atmospheric! :heart:

Just my 2 cents but I think we will get EBW on the next album (or released at least). The band seems to be plugging really hard at this baby! I know Adam said EBW was considered for release with NLOTH, but why does Bono keep introducing the song as "unfinished", "unwritten" etc? Are they re-working and overhauling it still? :doh:

I can't quite get into the Vienna version. As a mistake (I think?) Bono sings "Every gambler knows, that to WIN, is what they're really there for". Throws it off for me:D

I'm glad u2gigs was there to document these and other unreleased gems like North Star, Glastonbury, etc:up:

Well, think about how much they change Mercy between 2004 and 2010, you know? I know a lot of bands I like had called unreleased material "unfinished", and then demos leaked afterward made it appear that it was in fact a done product. So I think you're right when you say that overhauling might be what they're talking about here. Probably hard to leave something alone for a few years or more and not see something you want to change about it! :D

I'd love to see this given a formal release down the road somewheres. Should have been on NLOTH, no question. Wouldn't been a huge improvement there alone.

I like both Helsinki and Vienna the most of the times they played it in Europe last year (the best quality also). You can find things in both versions which are a little rough around the edges (no pun intended), but that adds to the appeal of them too. Gorgeous song either way.

I just love this song from hearing it straightaway, I hadn't heard the vienna one so I'll give that a listen. Have you heard the full band version floating about on youtube? I like any version, I think its such a good song. I hope it gets released. Amazing

I agree on Munich's version of North Star... I thought that was the best of the bunch (for that song anyway). I think they rehearsed a full band version too, right? They didn't play it, of course, but that would've been interesting to hear too!

Clip description: This is a full band version made by Jakob Saltell, a Swedish U2 fan and musician. The original acoustic version was performed by Bono and The Edge in Helsinki, Finland, 21 August 2010.

Back
Top Bottom