A Man and a Woman- tribute to everlasting love

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
There are some great lines of wisdom in there somewhere if you listen. I think they are a tribute to the true and everlasting love Bono and Ali found.

"You can run from love, but if it's really love it will find you, and catch you by the heels"

You may not be sure, you may look for something else or think you want somebody else, but if it's meant to be, it will get you anyway.

"I don't want to take a chance, on losing love to find romance"

This line reminds me of Paul McCartney's line in "1985" that said "she may be right, she may be fine, she may get love but she won't get mine 'cause I got you" It seems like it's saying, I'm not going to ditch my true faithful love to have a fling with a hot supermodel. It might be romantic, or fun for awhile, but it's not love. You could lose a special forever kind of love looking for something that didn't last.

"I thought this was the one for me, but she was already mine"

How :cute:

Last edited:
It's one of the most direct songs Bono must have wrote about Ali. I think its one of their most romantic songs. I really like that line, 'How can I hurt when I'm holding you' :love:
Ali is a lucky lady!

"Only true love can keep beauty innocent"

How true is that? It's also an original lyric (as far as I know), so to all the cliche police: :madspit:

"I thought this was the one for me, but she was already mine"

This line jumped out at me too. I think Bono sees his relationship with Ali as almost predestined. It reminds me of Wild Honey, where he asks if they knew each other "before the clocks kept time/before the world was made"

I'm another guy who thinks this song is a classic. I feel sorry for all those AMAAW haters out there. I really do. Maybe if they would look through the photos on the Ali Pics threads (highly recommended), they could see that this song is far from corny, sappy, or whatever else they want to say about it. How many other pop/rock/hip-hop stars could write and perform a song like this? Bono is one of the few that can sing lyrics like these and not sound sappy, because he has actually lived them out.

Back
Top Bottom