Summer Reading List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pattip2000

New Yorker
I’m in need of some suggestions for what to read this summer. I just finished reading “Animal Farm” I picked it up because I remembered Bono mentioning in on a boot that I have. I thought it would be fun to look for other books that the guys have read. I remember once seeing a Bio sheet on Bono from the early 80s that listed his favorite books at that time, I think “Lord of the Flies” was on it, but I’m not sure what else was on the list.

Can you guys help me create a U2 inspired reading list?

Screwtape Letters (I forget the author)

It's part of the inspiration for Macphisto of Zoo TV fame, and the book can be seen in the video to HMTMKMKM :)

The Disciple said:

"The Ragamuffin Gospel" by Brennan Manning

I LOVE "The Ragamuffin Gospel", I seriously read it about once a year. What’s the connection to U2? Have one of the guys mentioned it ever?

There have been similar threads about books that Bono and the boys liked so maybe you’ll get some more ideas if you search around. Bono once recommended books by JT Leroy. I found them kinda disturbing and now that the author has been exposed as a fake maybe they are not the best read but then the controversy might make them all the more intriguing.

Bono has read Raymond Carver and Flannery O’Connor too. The one by O’Connor about the preacher and his daughter was really good.

THE SCREWTAPE LETTERS is in fact written by C.S. Lewis, author of THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA, but I have no other information as to what it's about.

Two other suggestions: Something by Salmon Rushdie, as well as CALL ME THE BREEZE by Patrick McCabe, in which U2 is mentioned so often they are practically a character in the book. Bono also offered some kind reviews, but I didn't like the ending personally. THE BUTCHER BOY was a better read.

The Ground Beneath Her Feet by Salman Rushdie.

I didn't think it was all that great, but you can always go with another one of Rushdie's as well. This one has the biggest U2 connection, though. For obvious reasons. :wink:

Or, there's always Stranger In a Strange Land by Albert Camus.

corianderstem said:
The Ground Beneath Her Feet by Salman Rushdie.

I didn't think it was all that great, but you can always go with another one of Rushdie's as well. This one has the biggest U2 connection, though. For obvious reasons. :wink:

That book is brilliant--one of my favorites ever. Rushdie's style is a bit dense at times, which can put some people off, but as a writer myself, I learned so much from studying his style in that novel. It's a contemporary retelling of the story of Orpheus and Eurydice set against the backdrop of a rock and roll lifestyle.

I went to a lecture by Salman Rushdie about two years ago, and my friends and I waited in line for over an hour to get our books signed. I was going to ask him about knowing U2, but my friends said they'd make me walk home if I did, and we were an hour away! So I just told him I enjoyed his lecture, got my copy of this novel signed, and sulked away :reject:

corianderstem said:

Or, there's always Stranger In a Strange Land by Albert Camus.

It occurs to me now, 3 days later, that maybe Camus didn't write that.

So yeah ... you can always try Stranger In a Strange Land by whoever it's by. :wink:

Ooh, another U2-inspired book that's not been mentioned. (Or, rather, the book inspired U2, but you get the drift.) Uh ... the one about Dorian Gray, by uh ... Oscar Wilde? ... or whoever it was by?

(Dang, I'm a poor excuse for a former English major today, aren't I? :reject: )

The Banyan Tree by Christopher Nolan. It's a great book, it wasn't until after I read it that I found out that Bono is also a fan of Nolan's. He's an Irish author, and is paralyzed so he types using a stick attached to his head! Outside of that, it's also a great story and wonderfully written.

Well Bono's always saying he loves Samuel Beckett so there's a thought! :wink:

Everyone thanks for all the ideas, I'm headed to the bookstore tonight and the beach on Monday. Hopefully I'll pick something good!

Wait! :wink:

Neuromancer by William Gibson - it's listed in U2 At the End of the World as influencing them during the AB era.

Here is the novel that started it all, launching the cyberpunk generation, and the first novel to win the holy trinity of science fiction: the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award and the Philip K. Dick Award. With Neuromancer, William Gibson introduced the world to cyberspace--and science fiction has never been the same.

Patti----what did you end up getting?

I've thought of picking up The Screwtape Letters, and probably will next time I'm in Jersey at my mom's bookstore...I know she has a copy.

Utoo said:
Patti----what did you end up getting?

I've thought of picking up The Screwtape Letters, and probably will next time I'm in Jersey at my mom's bookstore...I know she has a copy.

your mother owing a bookstore is totally :drool: worthy. When I was doing my budget last year, I had to have a separate category just for books.

Like I mentioned, I read "Animal Farm" (I’m really not sure how I graduated high school without reading that and "1984"), "The Violent Bear It Away" by Flannery O’Connor and "Stranger in a Strange Land" by Robert Heinlien. Next I think I’m going to go for "The Ground Beneath Her Feet"

"Animal Farm" was pretty good, I really liked "The Violent Bear It Away", I will definitely be reading more by O’Connor. "Stranger in a Strange Land" was alright, I’m not really much into science fiction, but I guess it’s good to read something you wouldn’t normally read every once in a while.

I’m sure I’ll pick up “The Screwtape Letters” at some point; I’ve read a couple of other things my C.S. Lewis already

mein kampf was interesting , bit of a bore read but it was a insight

Back
Top Bottom