Yet Another New Incredible Bono Shades Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I can't remember who came up with it in the first place, but the guys from unitedshades told me the same thing, too.

So there's no mirror you're sayin? Now that's some valuable first-hand information, even though it's creating even more confusion...

How is it confusing? The model Bono is wearing doesn't appear to have a mirror/flash to it. The 971/8G has no mirror/flash. Therefore imo Bono is wearing the 971/8G.

I think what's going on is perhaps the 971/8G is no longer available, and some retailers are trying to convince buyers that Bono is wearing the 6G, so they can get a sale. Unitedshades is not going to refund your money based on "I found out these actually aren't the ones Bono wears" - so they get them out the door, and they don't care. :shrug:

Might be true. But weren't the 6Gs (just like the lighter version of the 732/87s) added to the catalogue, only recently?

I mean, why would Bvlgari even start thinking about producing a new style (and sell it as Bono's), when the real Bono's were still all over the place? They could have sold all their stock of 8Gs, easily, whithout putting any effort into creating a new style.

Whatever. But if I had to judge which ones Bono is wearing, I would much rather trust the first-hand experiences of somebody who had a good spot at the show and knows a bit about sunnies...I guess you had a great time.

I think there's a common misunderstanding of what's out there, what's being reproduced, and what's deadstock.

IMO: the 8Gs are done, and because there is only a very limited market for 8025s (ie Bono shade freaks and even of those only those who want the less common ones), they are featuring the 6Gs which are probably deadstock on the off chance that they'll move a few of them for that limited market. Are they even marketing them as Bono's pair or is it someone that contributes to the thread that has started this rumour? If you look at a site like Giarre etc, they've never really mentioned specific colors that Bono has worn, just that he wore that model.

I only theorize like this because I've been told by so-called pros what model Bono is and isn't wearing, who are in turn relaying info that Luxottica allegedly gave them..only to have to correct them when I did my own sleuthing. It benefits them to move as many of these old pairs out and on any remotely believable premise, because they are absolutely not going to move off shelves on their own steam, they're too outdated.

I did have a great time, and in Toronto I wore my lucky D&Gs that I had on when he pulled me up onstage. He did a quick double look when he saw them..;)

hey, my glorious boy gvox, are u saying u get up to the stage with u2?and using shades? what too much hallucination!

I did have a great time, and in Toronto I wore my lucky D&Gs that I had on when he pulled me up onstage. He did a quick double look when he saw them..;)

Yeah. Congrats for being pulled up again. :applaud: I'm so happy for you, mate. Your D&Gs must have a certain mojo, indeed. You should have asked Bono to swap shades...;)

Question....I am updating my collection records. What year did Bono wear the EXTE's and is there a model number? Thanks to anyone who can provide the answers. :up:

ilcontethefly threw me the end of the grapevine telling me he met an individual who knew with certainty Bono was sporting the 6Gs (sorry, ilconte if this gets you some inquisitive PMs).

After much debate against myself, I went for the 8Gs. They cost me $30 less and look beautiful in person. I wanted the red arms because it's my favourite colour but I didn't want my lenses to be so pronounced that anyone looking at me only saw themself. That being said, part of me still wants to buy the 6Gs or the solid black lenses if I can find them here in the US.

Although, the 8Gs are still available through Unitedshades and the 6Gs through 4sunglass.com that I can't tell if one is more difficult to come by or not. Only difference I've found is the 6Gs pop up more on Ebay when a seller comes along.

Apologize for dragging this debate. I've spent my money and fell in love.

Someone call Bono and ask, who has him on speed dial?

Here is a shot of Bono leaving the stage at the Chicago show. I agree, being close up they didn't look mirrored to me either.

Attachments

• U2 Chicago 2011 Edge Bono Good Night.jpg
    U2 Chicago 2011 Edge Bono Good Night.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 43
ilcontethefly threw me the end of the grapevine telling me he met an individual who knew with certainty Bono was sporting the 6Gs (sorry, ilconte if this gets you some inquisitive PMs).

After much debate against myself, I went for the 8Gs. They cost me $30 less and look beautiful in person. I wanted the red arms because it's my favourite colour but I didn't want my lenses to be so pronounced that anyone looking at me only saw themself. That being said, part of me still wants to buy the 6Gs or the solid black lenses if I can find them here in the US.

Although, the 8Gs are still available through Unitedshades and the 6Gs through 4sunglass.com that I can't tell if one is more difficult to come by or not. Only difference I've found is the 6Gs pop up more on Ebay when a seller comes along.

Apologize for dragging this debate. I've spent my money and fell in love.

Someone call Bono and ask, who has him on speed dial?

Hey Wojovox,
I sent a message only for help into your purchasing nothing else. I know for sure that Bono wears the 6Gs and these following pictures show that lenses are mirrored.

dscf2545d.jpg

dscf2549a.jpg

dscf2551t.jpg

dscf2553wm.jpg

dscf2558.jpg

You can think what you want, you can spend money as you want, it was only a suggestion, but you refused it

Hey Wojovox,
I sent a message only for help into your purchasing nothing else. I know for sure that Bono wears the 6Gs and these following pictures show that lenses are mirrored.

How do you know for sure? Have you spoken to him about it? Honestly, you're going by pictures taken from certain angles in certain lighting, and we're talking about actually standing in front of him and seeing them in real life.

Those pictures don't show a mirror at all imo and prove nothing except that a brightly lit LED circle reflects in dark lenses, which is the case with any pair of shades :huh: On top of all that, they absolutely do not look like the mirrored lenses in that unboxing video quoted earlier, especially that last picture you posted. They look wayyy different.

At the end of the day, Wojo (to my recollection) wasn't even positive he'd like mirrored lenses, regardless of who was wearing them, and he went with a pair he has physically received and has deemed beautiful. :shrug:

How do you know for sure? Have you spoken to him about it? Honestly, you're going by pictures taken from certain angles in certain lighting, and we're talking about actually standing in front of him and seeing them in real life.

Those pictures don't show a mirror at all imo and prove nothing except that a brightly lit LED circle reflects in dark lenses, which is the case with any pair of shades :huh: On top of all that, they absolutely do not look like the mirrored lenses in that unboxing video quoted earlier, especially that last picture you posted. They look wayyy different.

At the end of the day, Wojo (to my recollection) wasn't even positive he'd like mirrored lenses, regardless of who was wearing them, and he went with a pair he has physically received and has deemed beautiful. :shrug:

Just to let you know that I have followed the discussion about 8G or 6G, and finally decided to buy 971/6G... The fact is that they are much more difficult to find than 8G so, as usually (I was the first to buy a pair of 901/8G last year) I decided to buy the version that seems to me the rarest to find.
Btw, Bono maybe wears both models, and, in a few years, I think none of us will care about 6 or 8G... They Will just be more difficult to find.
The only advice is : take the glasses that make you happy and if they are the same than Bman, than perfect.
All the best everyone.:wave:

I appreciate all the help you offered me in making my decision, iconte.

It was tough and took me weeks to place an order. I went with the 8Gs because they were my initial instinct purchase. The 6Gs do look beautiful and before the year I would like to find another solid black backup lense or find the rare 732/6Gs again (found them once via Ebay but they were $300+, really wanted to stay within my $200 zone).

The 8Gs I have now, do look like what Bono is wearing in the pictures. It's really difficult from pictures to find the smoking gun, when I see the pics now, mine look the same. I have had others wear my shades to see them and they do reflect various wavelenths of light. Soft glow light bulbs turn them into a see hearty red as my skin bleeds through. Around High sun (noon), the gradient tends to hide and during sunset it comes back. Even the red arms seem to change hue when I'm not looking, sometimes a bright highlight red and sometimes a dry blood red.

As for difficulty finding either, neither the 971/8Gs or 6Gs tend to be more absent than the other yet. The only difficult pair seems to be the 901/8Gs.

Just noticed,

In the pictures you last posted Iconte, the second from the bottom with the reflection from the hanging mic. The 6Gs are just as gradient as the 8Gs and that reflection of the mic is on the bottom of the lens.

New theory, (just watched a vid on U2.com where fan plays guitar for "All I want is you") slightly convinced he may be wearing a solid black lens at times. Actually I think he's throwing around different lenses on different nights. sometimes it's 6G, sometimes it's 8, and sometimes it's that unknown code for solid black (which I'm still looking for). Our argument still seems pointless in the end.

Good day, all.....

I apologize...I should know this already...

But....

Who here owns a pair of CITRUS 519's ???

Also...one more question about 519's...

The "Electrical Storm" color---are they black or brown?
Is the Bvlgari clip silver or are they all one color to match the shades?

Next up: Mikli....does anyone here own the 3244 in orange? I see there is a pair on eBay, but $800 is a little crazy....

Finally....Cutler & Gross...

Did the B-man wear another model besides the 276?

Once again....all advice or info is GREATLY appreciated!

Good day, all.....

I apologize...I should know this already...

But....

Who here owns a pair of CITRUS 519's ???

Also...one more question about 519's...

The "Electrical Storm" color---are they black or brown?
Is the Bvlgari clip silver or are they all one color to match the shades?

Next up: Mikli....does anyone here own the 3244 in orange? I see there is a pair on eBay, but $800 is a little crazy...

Finally....Cutler & Gross...

Did the B-man wear another model besides the 276?

Once again....all advice or info is GREATLY appreciated!

Hello Tony, what's up ?
I CAN answer @ two questions :
- for C&G for me Bman only wore 0276 (they are all the same model of glasses what ever pic of Achtung and Zoo you take // except for the Bolle - Fly Shades)
- for 3244 I have owned a pair until recently (made an exchange with Bsaul so they are still in the family:D) : they are really narrower than 3214 and, to my opinion not even a pair of 3214 (even Orange 13109, or black with yellow lenses) worth so much... And to all of you, I think we shoud all wait as I am trying to get Alain Mikli to reissued them... This is serious. I have good contact with them. Can't give you all a date but be sure that I am doing a huge lobbying on that subject:wink:

Okay so im back and im looking for Bvlgari 519's. To be honest I really do not know what color of the 519's I want so I'll just consider any offer that is on the table. I am looking to buy or trade (my dark green armani 9285's) for a pair of bvlgari 519. Of course if it is bvlgari 610 or 611, feel free to offer those up too. I am still confused on which color I want so i'll let the offers take its place. so please pm me or write here if you have something for me!

Okay so im back and im looking for Bvlgari 519's. To be honest I really do not know what color of the 519's I want so I'll just consider any offer that is on the table. I am looking to buy or trade (my dark green armani 9285's) for a pair of bvlgari 519. Of course if it is bvlgari 610 or 611, feel free to offer those up too. I am still confused on which color I want so i'll let the offers take its place. so please pm me or write here if you have something for me!

You are a very optimistic person.
The 519 are almost the rarest pairs here with the 611, the Diesel K-Mart, the Mikli 3214 and the GA 1535. When (if) a pair pop up (here or on eBay) and if you really want one, you should take it.
If you really want one, you just don't look at the details, just the overall conditions.
At last, an exchange between a 9285 and a 519 is not really a real exchange as 9285 worth less than the Bvlgari...
That was just my opinion but you CAN be lucky... Who knows ?

Glad Bono is sporting the original Armani's again. I like those more that the others with the stars :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom