Question about soundboard shows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
The Dublin shows from Lovetown, have a clear and loud sound of the audience.

Then there are others, like Washington from Zoo TV, where you virtually can't hear the audience.

So...why the difference if both of those are soundboard?

Depends on a lot of things. Mainly if the sound mixers want some crowd noise in there or not. Washington from ZooTV is a bootleg so they're just going for straight audio.

Dublin shows during the Lovetown tour were broadcast I believe so they probably had audience mics setup and mixed them in for a bit more of the "live" feel.

I'm just speculating though.

That's exactly right (at least I think it is lol). The broadcasts, like Zoo Europa (Dublin) and Pop Sarajevo, and Irving Plaza 2000 are mixed with the audience noise in there to give it a "live" feel. DC and JT Syracuse for example were never meant for out ears so they don't have that more polished mix to them. Another one like that is 1997-06-01 East Rutherford, very "raw" sound.

Broadcasters use what they call an FX mic, this is intended to pick up the sound of the crowd, which is then added to the output at an appropriate level.

These are most evident at sports events. At televised football (soccer) matches you can often see the FX mic by the side of the pitch. (looks like a big caterpillar)

If the FX mic wasn't used, then the commentary would have the same 'raw' sounding feel as the couple of concerts mentioned. ie it would only pick up the sound from in and around the commentary box.

Back
Top Bottom