Wow, the Irish Times really hates U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Irish people don't care about celebrity and find famous people suspicious. Plus, it's not only common in Ireland to mistrust the prophets in your own country. But in the end, all of U2 still feel comfortable enough to have their homes and families there, so it can't be all bad.

Well, I can't say I disagree with his comments about how GOYB is lyrically vacuous. Although Bruce has written his fair share of those too. Check out Tracks Disc 3 if you dont believe me.

And Bono does make himself an easy target with some of his behavior.

after reading the comments in this thread, i think it's safe to say the reaction to this article is what's ridiculous, and not the article itself.

bono's fascination with america is sickening... i'll always go back to that disgusting display on the elevation tour when he took an american flag and cried in it. fuck off already, bono. if you want to be this ultra-patriotic american, fucking just pick up your shit and move there already. END QUOTE.

He cried into a flag that wasn't Irish?! Wow! Crying into your own flag is weird. I mean I wouldn't do it but WOW! I say again. :lol:

(it's actually kinda cute :cute:)

I find it funny he had a go at Bono's lyrics when Bruce's new album has some awful lyrics

Working On a Dream is possibly one of the Bruce's worst songs, Boots is a masterpiece lyrically next to that

For all the people who think that is was somehow in poor taste for Bono to show that he shared in America's grief after 9/11 do you also think that all of the fans who cried when Bono performed those shows in England as his father was dying were also somehow showing poor taste? Bono shared his grief at his father's illness and death with his fans and they cried with him. It helped him through a very difficult time. When they performed in America after 9/11 he tried to return the favor. The only difference is that he had to do it from the stage. The sentiment was the same and the repetition was because he was sharing with all of America not just the New York audiences. There were many, many people who were appreciative of Bono's acknowledgement so I think it for him all the criticism was worth it for the ones that it did touch.

Dana

I actually think that was a pretty good article.

There's not really very much I can disagree with, apart from maybe Springsteens lyrics being on another plane. I guess the writer was comparing the likes of moles in holes and smells of babies heads, and knees and knees and knees.

He doesn't doubt Bono's sincerity, he just finds it misplaced and a bit naive. Sometimes the truth hurts.

Bono didn't bring up the "Palestinian dream" line to suggest that all the Palestinians have to do is have a dream and everything well be ok.

He brought it up to remind the American leaders who were standing right in front of him that Palestinians have a right to exist and live freely just like everyone else.

This article lost its credibility for me the moment the author muttered that stupid sentence in which he misinterpreted Bono's statement. It's like he doesn't even want to understand what Bono's trying to say.

so what this writer fails to grasp is that Bono and Bruce are two very, very different activists.

Bono cannot take sides.

take a look at the presidency of George W. Bush. it looks to be a total failure. however, his one bright spot, the one thing he did well, was increase aid to Africa in response to the AIDS crisis. there are thousands of people who owe their lives to Bush because of this.

and don't doubt for a second that Bono had nothing to do with this. because Bono knows scripture, he can walk up to conservative American politicians and make the case for aid in biblical terms in a way that Bruce never could.

and not to take a pot shot at Bruce, but his "Vote For Change" tour in 2004 did fuck-all politically. :shrug:

after reading the comments in this thread, i think it's safe to say the reaction to this article is what's ridiculous, and not the article itself.

bono's fascination with america is sickening... i'll always go back to that disgusting display on the elevation tour when he took an american flag and cried in it. fuck off already, bono. if you want to be this ultra-patriotic american, fucking just pick up your shit and move there already.

this article was gentle on bono, and i believe echoes many peoples sentiments on the man.

does this mean bono's a bad guy? no, and they never said that. i'm sure one to one, he's a fine man... but that's not what this is about.
his endless pandering to be loved by the united states drives every fan who's NOT from there absolutely mental.

America rules. Germany drools.

Yeah, Bono leaves himself open to this type of thing, he's such an easy target.

He's said before that he likes the taste of the pie in his face.
With U2 getting ready to rake in the cash this year, I'm thinking he needs to be ready to taste a lot more of it. There's going to be a lot of criticism about them making money in this economy. Get ready for the pens to fly like daggers.

YES!!! All great points!!!!

But will Bono be okay?????????????

:wink:

Who cares what some loser from the Irish Times thinks about Bono or the rest of U2.

It's funny how Bono referred to himself and the band as 'boys' and Obama as 'sir'- Bono is a year older than Obama, and so is Adam. Edge was born only 4 days after Obama. I wonder if that's weird for them.

It's funny how Bono referred to himself and the band as 'boys' and Obama as 'sir'- Bono is a year older than Obama, and so is Adam. Edge was born only 4 days after Obama. I wonder if that's weird for them.

You forget that Bono and Guggi swore they would never grow up so he is still nine. :wink:

Dana

Yeah, Bono leaves himself open to this type of thing, he's such an easy target.

He's said before that he likes the taste of the pie in his face.
With U2 getting ready to rake in the cash this year, I'm thinking he needs to be ready to taste a lot more of it. There's going to be a lot of criticism about them making money in this economy. Get ready for the pens to fly like daggers.

Well here's an amusing first stab at it, from The Irish Independent:

Without Bono, Paddy is nothing -- and he knows it

We are returning to a time when our fate is inextricably entwined with that of U2, writes Declan Lynch

Sunday January 25 2009

It would be wrong to think that there was no direct benefit for Paddy in the inauguration of Obama. After all, U2 performed at the pre-inauguration concert, and U2 will almost certainly be the only Irish business to make a profit in 2009. A very big profit, no doubt, with a new album due and a world tour to follow.

And let's get one thing straight here: it is absurd to suggest that the release of the new U2 single was timed to coincide with the inauguration of the President of the United States.

These days, it is far more likely that the inauguration of the President of the United States will be timed to coincide with the release of the new U2 single.

And for poor old Paddy there must be some encouragement in the fact that U2 is not just the only business that will make a profit in 2009, and probably next year and the year after that, it was also making a profit in 1999, and in 1989, and possibly even in 1979.

So it seems that we are back where we started, with the only Irish guys who actually know how the world works.

Not only have they achieved the remarkable feat of making money before, during, and after the Celtic Tiger, they have also apparently managed to hold on to it -- we didn't see Bono holding the microphone at the Mansion House, asking questions about Anglo Irish Bank.

We won't be seeing the lads getting wiped out by some Ponzi scheme anytime soon.

But we did see them on stage with Obama, and for all Irish people, good and bad, this was quite a relief. The way things have panned out for us, we are looking once more to U2 to embody our version of the trickle-down theory. What is good for them is good for Paddy.

Once more, they have become a vital national

interest. Once more, they have become perhaps our only national interest.

And in this volatile environment it is now virtually a matter of plain fact that to talk down the new U2 single, and especially the new U2 album, is to talk down the economy.

"Fantastic" was the reported verdict of Neil McCormick of The Telegraph on hearing the latest material, and since I don't think we'll do better than "fantastic", let that good word go out to all the peoples of the world: fantastic.

In recent years we had become quite lackadaisical about U2, even feeling free to disrespect them the way we used to find fault with albums by Thin Lizzy, little realising what was waiting for us further on up the road.

Enough of that, it is just another little luxury that we can't afford any more.

That time is over, and young people in particular should be made aware that the Irish -- and that means all of us -- are now returning to a time when our fate is inextricably entwined with that of "four Irish boys from the northside of Dublin".

A couple of years ago, when Paddy was still a bit cocky, he'd be quibbling with the factual accuracy of that line. He'd be jeering that two of the boys are not Irish by birth; that they are hardly "boys" either, since Bono is now older than Obama himself; and that they may be from the geographical "northside", but they are not "northsiders" as that term is rightly understood.

So Paddy would be laughing to himself, suggesting that it might be as truthful for Bono to be introducing the band to Obama as "four international industrialists from the South of France".

But Paddy isn't laughing anymore. He knows that he needs Bono up there, saying whatever the hell he needs to say to get the job done.

Paddy knows what Paddy has done -- essentially, since around the time of Zooropa, Paddy scooped the equivalent of a massive compo payout. And despite his protestations of competence and even brilliance, he has done what Paddy has traditionally done in these circumstances -- he has spent it on drinking and gambling and he has added a few new-fangled perversions, such as small-bore shooting in Estonia. And the rest, he has wasted.

Paddy knows this, and he figures that Bono knows this too; Bono who actually worked hard for his money and put it into savings and wise investments. Remember the mockery when U2 moved assets from Ireland to Holland? You'll hear no mockery now.

But Paddy also knows that Bono won't let him down. When he's asked to explain what happened to poor Paddy, he'll steer clear of the dismal truth and he'll find the right words as always -- perhaps in his new column in the New York Times.

Yes, Paddy rejoices in this, in any situation in which Bono is doing well for himself. But with this comes the old anxiety.

Certainly the pre-inauguration gig was all about Bono, but on the inauguration day itself, Paddy found himself getting increasingly vexed.

Where could Bono be?

The former presidents could be seen arriving, but where was Bono?

The Joint Chiefs of Staff could be seen, but, strangely, no sign of Bono.

There was a bit of classical played, a song from Aretha Franklin but, inexplicably, Bono was nowhere to be seen.

Eventually, the President and the First Lady got into the big black limo, sans Bono.

For Paddy these were troubling scenes indeed. Because if Bono is not in the frame, from where Paddy is sitting it now follows that Paddy is not in the frame either.

But at the end of a long and worrying day, he was heartened by the announcement on RTE that the Prime Time coverage would feature Seamus Heaney ... and Bono.

Fantastic.

Actually this is in a strange way defending Bono by pointing out how important U2's success has been to Ireland. This is pointing out that Bono and company have been smart with their money not just lucky.

Dana

"In many ways, U2's journey from school band to global megastardom has been improbable, but it's not because they came from Dublin's northside. It's not as if most of Bono's friends are either dead or in jail. Last time I looked, they were making soundtracks and bowls. When not being a citizen of Dublin, Bono is a citizen of the world."

WTF? :|

"In many ways, U2's journey from school band to global megastardom has been improbable, but it's not because they came from Dublin's northside. It's not as if most of Bono's friends are either dead or in jail. Last time I looked, they were making soundtracks and bowls. When not being a citizen of Dublin, Bono is a citizen of the world."

WTF? :|

You're aware that a lot of people who grew up in Ballymun in the 1970's are indeed, dead or in jail?

You're aware, surely, of the context of the remark?

And the soundtracks and bowls comment is refering to Gavin and Guggi. However not all of Bono's friends made it. Bad was inspired by a friend whose girlfriend gave him enough heroin for his birthday for him to OD on it. The citizen of the world comment is pretty accurate though because Bono is pretty much at home anywhere and most places don't treat him as an outsider. The average person in America doesn't even realize Bono isn't American despite him talking about being Irish. They just see it as his heritage is Irish and don't realize that his nationality is Irish as well.

Dana

What the writer seems to be saying is that Bono shouldn't be implying U2 grew up in some kind of desparately underprivileged circumstances, given that the backgrounds of most of the band members are fairly middle class.

You have to understand Dublin northside is viewed as a part of the city with a lot of troubled spots.

There is the old quote from The Commitments:- "The Irish are the blacks of Europe. And Dubliners are the blacks of Ireland. And the Northside Dubliners are the blacks of Dublin. So say it once, say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud. "

To have a relatively large pot shot at Bruce; its very easy to take the more popular side of the argument. In this case throwing stones at George. W. Bush has predominantly been the trend of the 21st century. However, don't get me wrong - I hate bush. Absolute train wreck of a Presidency. Nonetheless, Bono's ability to see the greater good in his short term pain is where most people fall short. And the long winded speeches can become tedious but it is just comes with the territory. At least they are more interesting than Bruce Springsteen's 'Vote Democrats' speeches every four years.

Bono is a realist. Bruce is a teenage optimist who has never grasped that his Xanadu cannot be achieved by pissing off the fat cats in Washington and never dealing with them.

And it terms of musical relevance - this is where the Irish Times lost me. The Boss is a 70's man.

P.S I am obsessed with Australia - and I live here.:drool:

I wish people would leave Bono and his politics alone, and just concentrate on the music. Yes, he's very politically oriented, and no, I don't agree with everything he says. That doesn't mean he doesn't write great songs, or that you can't enjoy them.

Back
Top Bottom