Would an Achtung Baby/ZOO TV 30th anniversary tour work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The guys are almost 60.

Meaning what? The Rolling Stones are almost 80 and they are still playing shows. Bottom line, there is no reason to stop doing what you love to do just because you've reached some age. Yes, they could stop now, or soon, but that would be like pulling an R.E.M.

To me, the band live sound just as good now as they have ever been and I have seen them 21 times. Although not certain, it is potentially possible they will still be a band well beyond age 70. B.B. King continued to travel and tour with more than 100 dates a year well into his late 80s.

In fact, you could argue that the band retired in 1990 because since that time, they record and tour at a pace that they prefer, that they set for themselves. Plus they have all been independently very wealthy since at least 1990 if not earlier. They do this because they want to, not because they have to.

Meaning what? The Rolling Stones are almost 80 and they are still playing shows. Bottom line, there is no reason to stop doing what you love to do just because you've reached some age. Yes, they could stop now, or soon, but that would be like pulling an R.E.M.

To me, the band live sound just as good now as they have ever been and I have seen them 21 times. Although not certain, it is potentially possible they will still be a band well beyond age 70. B.B. King continued to travel and tour with more than 100 dates a year well into his late 80s.

In fact, you could argue that the band retired in 1990 because since that time, they record and tour at a pace that they prefer, that they set for themselves. Plus they have all been independently very wealthy since at least 1990 if not earlier. They do this because they want to, not because they have to.

I want to be left wanting more.

Would an Achtung Baby/ZOO TV 30th anniversary tour work?

I think it would work on two conditions:

Even bigger and better technology than the first ZOO TV show (shouldn't be too hard) and maybe an updated concept/name.

Enough time after the SOE tour so that there isn't the U2 fatigue syndrome for the casual fans.

I think it would feel strange to have a retro tour for a tour that was about the future. Achtung Baby is also heavily linked with the tour for it, ZOO TV. So to do some dry performance of just the album, would seem strange and not a fit either.

I agree with this. Achtung Baby and Zoo TV are pretty hand in hand. It might not be 100% satisfactory to play through the entirety of Achtung Baby without inserting it properly into the ZooTV context.

It might be better to write a whole new album about the future 30 years on, as an indirect tribute to Achtung Baby, which embodies the same mood and addresses similar, but updated, themes.

Any subsequent tour may be able to feature some sort of Achtung Baby tribute component (sequence of 5 songs or so), perhaps.

SOI - revisits youth
SOE- captures the contemporary (?)
2021 album - considers the future (?)

Last edited:
I agree with this. Achtung Baby and Zoo TV are pretty hand in hand. It might not be 100% satisfactory to play through the entirety of Achtung Baby without inserting it properly into the ZooTV context.

All valid ideas and points on your part.

But I don't think that most of the people who pack a stadium for a U2 show give a damn about what they did 30 years ago compared to now. No one analyzes that kind of thing but the diehards.

Acrobat would be the hook, as was Red Hill for the current tour.

Of course they will make current and ramp up the look of a AB tour. I mean, they didn't launch this current JT tour with a plain background as they did 30 years ago. U2 always tries to do something new with the set design so for AB I would be excited to think what they would do now with the advanced technology.

Even though AB wasn't as popular as JT, I say bring on a 30th anniversary tour (after finishing the I&E tour of course).

But do I think it will happen?

Probably not.

I am seriously hopeful that this will happen, now they have done a nostalgia tour for JT, release SOE and tour that and then prepare for the massive ZOO TV 2.0 tour. They could really work wonders with it and plus, that will give Willie a chance to go to town on the set again!

I think it would be bigger than the current JT30 tour and all in all the set list would be so much better as AB is an album which is easier to listen to the whole way through compared to JT

A full Zoo TV rewrite (stage setup and everything) isn't worth it. That era of U2 history is undeserving of such imitation. As for playing AB start to finish, though... if they can do Acrobat justice, I would be very happy. Maybe just have a JT30-esque stage without the JT references and incorporate some throwback visuals into that big screen.

And instead of opening with SBS, open with Streets into ISHFWILF, Angel of Harlem, and Desire. Then launch into AB, cover to cover. Open the encore with Zooropa and then screw around with pre-2000s stuff, closing with 40. Maybe put full-band Stay in there.

*wakes up*

Damn.

At this point, many of us are counting on it.
I'd be disappointed if they don't.

I would love it so much if they would do this.

As far as Zoo TV, I wouldn't want or expect a replica. I'd want them to re-imagine it in whatever way felt right.

They'll just end up playing Acrobat on the piano, with canned horns in the background.
NNnnnoooooooo! :no: :sad::sad:
:lol:
I think it fits even better now than JT does.

as Ax says, they were right. You promote the "we were fucking right all along" angle in interviews and then play up the staging again for the digital age.
Great observaion, Axver
Some valid points there.

It's also possible that instead of a full anniversary tour, the band just does one special multimedia event, a single concert (in Berlin?) to paying fans that is also broadcast live on the internet.
I'd rather have that than nothing!
*wakes up*

Damn.
:therethere:

I'd love if they did it since AB is my favorite U2 album (JT 2nd, NLOTH 3rd). Axver's approach is a great idea.

But I do want SOE/tour!

Still 360 besides loving, hearing NLOTH live (went in 09 & 11) the second gift was so much AB! The Laser suit, a semi-futuristic Zoo TV moment

And OMG-- Zooropa in 11!

Either Bono or Edge, in one of the pre-tour interviews this year, was asked about an Achtung30 Tour and said something along the lines of "it would have to be ZOO.Com". I say bring it on!

If they do an AB tour, I'd love for them to play HMTMKMKM in the third part of the show, like they're doing with Miss Sarajevo for TJT tour. HMTMKMKM is a far superior song, and it never gets played live. It should.

Bring back the following version of this song in the AB anniversary tour and it will bring tears to everyone's eyes.....

I must admit after how much I enjoyed the two Joshua tree shows I went to,I did think imagine if they did achtung baby shows. 2021 bring it on :)

unless they scuff it...

I do not want to hear an altered Acrobat. It has become too legendary a song in my mind to want to hear live in any style other than AB album style.

it needs the noise, it needs the bass that makes people look at my car and wonder if I am a 45 year old hip hop aficionado (I like, but I do not generally go around and bump in my car), and I need every lyric sung with that urgency he sings it with, including the nearly hidden spoken part.

I cannot accept a substitute to this song...

We're already worried about altering songs on a make believe tour?

In that case, I'm number 1 on the line list for GA

Last edited:
There's no way they'll do it. I would love to see it, but there's no way.

Joshua Tree was very independent of everything... decade, technology and frankly band's ability to perform.

ZooTV was the opposite of all of that. It was highly dependent on all of those things. It was the perfect storm of a technological boom combined with a very youthful and physical band. And highly dependent on a then-new idea of over consumerism.

All of that is played out now. Those themes are exhausted, the band is exhausted and the technology aspect is a naive nostalgia at best.

The JT anniversary tour worked because of the ability for the songs to work independent of anything. It's just good shit.

An AB/ZooTV anniversary tour would just seem so out of touch given how anchored their ideas were in a certain time and place.

There's no way they'll do it. I would love to see it, but there's no way.

Joshua Tree was very independent of everything... decade, technology and frankly band's ability to perform.

ZooTV was the opposite of all of that. It was highly dependent on all of those things. It was the perfect storm of a technological boom combined with a very youthful and physical band. And highly dependent on a then-new idea of over consumerism.

All of that is played out now. Those themes are exhausted, the band is exhausted and the technology aspect is a naive nostalgia at best.

The JT anniversary tour worked because of the ability for the songs to work independent of anything. It's just good shit.

An AB/ZooTV anniversary tour would just seem so out of touch given how anchored their ideas were in a certain time and place.

I'm not sure how JT is more independent of decade than AB?

I also don't think ZooTV was about consumerism as much as it was over-saturation, PopMart fit that mold a little more.

But what did you mean by one being independent on ability to play and the other not?

Not that I'm hungering for it, but I think ZooV2.0 could easily fit into today's society. Easily. And many in here have had some good suggestions.

I'm not sure how JT is more independent of decade than AB?

I also don't think ZooTV was about consumerism as much as it was over-saturation, PopMart fit that mold a little more.

But what did you mean by one being independent on ability to play and the other not?

Not that I'm hungering for it, but I think ZooV2.0 could easily fit into today's society. Easily. And many in here have had some good suggestions.

The "independent of decade" was mainly in relation to my other points about the theme. The theme of AB was consumption of content (which is what I meant as opposed to PopMart which was more traditional retail consumerison) and, while that's actually very prevalent today... it's almost too played out which was my main point. I think U2 really sort of spearheaded that theme musically but now everyone has done it, so it might seem less impactful today as it's become kind of a diluted message.

They'd just be another anti-over consumption message in a sea of a million others (see: Arcade Fire's latest album).

And I feel that theme is really tied to the 90s where the over consumption of content was really becoming a thing (as their tour design beautifully pointed out) - whereas JT didn't feel tied to a particularly 80s theme.

As for their ability to play, I meant more of their ability to pull off the exuberance that AB really needs. I think Bono still has good energy, but I'm not so sure they can pull off what they would need to without coming off as just old guys trying to act young.

And I'm approaching all of this from the view of an outsider. Of course WE would love to see it and I'm sure we'd easily get it. Hell missing the ZooTV tour (I didn't become a fan until about 95) is one of my greatest "if I had a time machine" moments. It's probably my favorite tour of theirs ever so I'd *love* to see an anniversary tour.

Back
Top Bottom